Author Topic: about Vote  (Read 2257 times)

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
about Vote
« on: April 02, 2007, 06:15:55 PM »
I wonder ,if we would have planes modeled by vote only , in a game with 90% of the players from North America,  what planes would we have now !? P and B  series only,  flavoured with some F4s, this could be fantasy, pulp fiction game "1944 Civil War" ,

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
about Vote
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 06:32:00 PM »
Well, I bet the Fw190, Spitfire, Bf109 and A6M would all have made it in, and have been voted in by Americans.

Probably the Yak-9, Il-2, Hurricane, Bf110 and Ki-84 too.  Lancaster and Mosquito maybe.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
about Vote
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 06:36:22 PM »
You are absolutely right Ghi, because none of us Americans came from Germany, the UK, France, Italy, or Russia. None. We have no interest in anything that isn't American. :rolleyes:
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline palef

• Gold Member
about Vote
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 06:50:35 PM »
Ghi raises a good point. The guys who visit the forum probably DO have wide ranging aviation interests.

The numbers guys voting in the actual GAME probably haven't heard of a Pe-2.
Retired

Offline yanksfan

• Silver Member
about Vote
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 07:02:42 PM »
Actually, P51 wouldn't be much without a british rolls engine, f4u's may have died on the vine if not for british navy figuring out how to land one on a carrier, so really these are two british american fighters.
ESTES- will you have my baby?
Ack-Ack -As long as we can name the baby Shuffler if it's a boy and Mensa if it's a girl.

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline jaxxo

• Silver Member
about Vote
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 07:05:51 PM »
it aint our fault we built the best Iron..WOOOOOOWOOOOOOOOO!!

short list of things id like to see corrected

Most used GVS

T34

Panzer

Osti

Tiger

no American there..

bring on the Firefly with  Hizooka!

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
about Vote
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 07:12:58 PM »
Originally posted by palef
Ghi raises a good point. The guys who visit the forum probably DO have wide ranging aviation interests.

The numbers guys voting in the actual GAME probably haven't heard of a Pe-2.

That's not necessarly true. I have wide ranging aviation interest and I never heard of the Pe2 before buying IL2.

There are many others simulations out there, and they have plane we don't have in AH... so many guys who don't read the BBS may know of the Pe2 or Me 410 because they played other games...
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline palef

• Gold Member
about Vote
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 08:06:41 PM »
Gianlupo, I was illustrating a point, not attempting a definitive example.

The fact remains that the B25 is widely known. What isn't widely known is that there are any number of medium bombers that can do the job a lot better including for instance a brilliant Italian bomber, the SM79), so the B25 will pop out for a visit after it's released (and we all know it's going to win. Darn it.) and then only show up in SEA, or EW and MW. You could use a B26 to go hunt B25s if you were sufficiently deranged.

jaxxo, the Firefly is another example of an Anglo/American success story. US chassis, British gun.
Retired

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
about Vote
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 09:12:06 PM »
All the formations do pretty much the same thing, Palef- they drop bombs. The B-26 can be used to hunt them as well; that is no rationale whatsoever to campaign against them being added, or support their removal. I think a lot of people know there were other planes in the war besides the B-25 and P-39, and perhaps, just maybe, they're voting for those planes for the same reasons you voted for whatever your favorite is. It isn't just a matter of "all us stupid americans voting for stupid american planes".

I don't understand this mindset that only a few of you are smart enough to read a book or research a plane on the internet, and that the average AH player is far too stupid, lazy, and biased to do so. WTF is up with that?
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Re: about Vote
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 09:29:05 PM »
Originally posted by ghi
I wonder ,if we would have planes modeled by vote only , in a game with 90% of the players from North America,  what planes would we have now !? P and B  series only,  flavoured with some F4s, this could be fantasy, pulp fiction game "1944 Civil War" ,

You mean the rest of the planes weren't made up for this game?wtf?:huh

The betrayal:cry

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
about Vote
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 10:59:25 PM »
Let's just say after this I hope HTC never puts it to a vote again!

I agree with Ghi.

Offline Emu

• Copper Member
about Vote
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 11:13:05 PM »
Of course ghi has a valid point.  I dont think anyone is really saying that americans are stupid, lazy, etc.... I really point at mass consumption, "brand" recognition as the main reason which will decide the plane to be voted in.  Its clearly obvious, from the first and second round of voting that the majority of votes are going towards those planes with the strongest "brand" recognition.  Its the same reason we buy electronics of one brand or another, clothes of one brand or another, eat at certain establishments, etc. etc.  Anyone with a mild interest on WWII has probably heard of the B25 or P39 ... no suprise they are the top.  Less have heard of the He-111, Me410... which I think explains why they reached the second round.  And very few have heard of the Pe-2 or Tu-2 ... which again, explains why they were voted out after the first round.  What ghi is pointing out is valid for ANY country.  If the majority of voters were italian, then the G.55 would have been voted in.  If the majority were Finnish, then the brewster, etc. etc.  Ghi is merely pointing out something that is part of reality and applicable to any nation, not just america.

Emu

ps: and yes, as with a lot of things already, the forum is not always a true reflection of your average AH player.  Forum users are typically better informed about the planes of WWII, not because the average AH player is lazy, stupid, but because we choose to invest more of our time on learning about something which we are more interested in than some others.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
about Vote
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 11:14:43 PM »
Originally posted by Emu
Of course ghi has a valid point.  I dont think anyone is really saying that americans are stupid, lazy, etc....

I am saying that!!! And I'm an American! :t

Offline BiGBMAW

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
about Vote
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 11:51:36 PM »
whaaa...

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
about Vote
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2007, 11:53:28 PM »
Originally posted by BiGBMAW