Author Topic: How to make films using FRAPS and Windows Movie Maker  (Read 7549 times)

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
How to make films using FRAPS and Windows Movie Maker
« on: April 14, 2007, 12:32:36 PM »
Ok Ive had a lot of people lately ask me how to make films using FRAPS and Windows Movie Maker so I made a lil write up on how its done using pictures as well.

First off you must download FRAPS either the trial version (Free) or the full version(cost). You may download FRAPS at http://www.fraps.com

The next step is to open up your fraps program and set your record keys to R (It works the best with Aces High film Veiwer)

When you open up FRAPS click on the third tab to the right (Movie Tab).  Now where it says select the recording key change it to R. Also make sure that in the bottom left hand corner you click the hide mouse options so your mouse dosnt show up in your films. You may also choss if you want to record the sound or not .  Here is a picture to help you fallow along

Next thing to do is open up Aces High Film Viewer and open the film you which to record selected clips from. NOTE: When you are using the trail version of fraps you may only record for 30 seconds at a time and on you final draft at the top http://www.fraps.com will appear in white lettering.

Now when you have messed with the film and have you views set right and have it how you want to record it all you have to do is hit R to start and stop recording.  While you are recording the FPS(numbers in the top left corner will turn RED when your recording and Yellow when your not recording.  When you stop recording that clip is automatically saved under your fraps file in your Program files under your C disk.

Ok now you need to upload the clip you have filmed into the Windows Movie Maker Program.  

First off start by opening Windows Movie Maker Program.  First take what ever song you want to use for the film and drag and place it in movie maker then drag it down to the time line.  Ok now we are gonna go threw how to import the clips you have filmed into movie maker.  First you go File -->Import into collections-->My computer --> Cdrive--> Program files--> FRAPS.  Now once your there you will see the the clips you have recorded in aces high film viewer.  NOTE: It can get confusing on which clip is whitch so here is a lil note the last clip you got from aces high is ALWYAS gonna be the last on on the list.  Ok once you have found the clip you want simply hit Import

Now just drag and place the clip where ever you want down on the time and start making your film!

If anyone has any questions give me a haller ill be glad to help!
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline VooWho

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 12:55:20 PM »
Yes I have a question? How do you save the video into a format in which you can watch from Windows Player, or Winamp?
Non Sibi Sed Patriae!

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 01:04:54 PM »
No fraps saves them to a format automatically that can be used in movie maker
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline 68slayr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 03:50:37 PM »
Very helpful..i just made my first movie ...TY :D :D :D

STICKY!!!! :O

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 08:01:37 PM »
Glad I could help :aok
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline Steve9

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 11:33:22 AM »
hushky what is fraps why do u need it does it make the movie better viewing or give u more options? Sounds like if u use the free fraps its going to mess up your film or cause alot more work to be done

and i made a film but when i drag music in music/audio section or try to import it it says i cant do that with that mp3 or i am not cleared to do it why? any info is apreciated

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 12:36:38 PM »
   hushky what is fraps why do u need it does it make the movie better viewing or give u more options? Sounds like if u use the free fraps its going to mess up your film or cause alot more work to be done

Fraps is a video recording program that takes the aces high film and transfers it into the correct format in order to be played in windows movie maker.

You need fraps or  some other type of AVI converter program.

I recomened FRAPS for to anyone it is a EXTREAMLY easy program to use. Fraps wont necessarily give you that many option all fraps is for is to record a selected clip from aces high and transfer it into AVI format allowing it to be used in movie make.  

The ONLY difference between free fraps and payed for fraps is that on the top of your final draft using free fraps you will see in small white letters http://www.fraps.com.  When you use the paid for fraps it hides that. Free fraps wont mess up any kind of sound/audio stuff.

and i made a film but when i drag music in music/audio section or try to import it it says i cant do that with that mp3 or i am not cleared to do it why? any info is apreciated

here is what i do since not all of my music is not mp3 type to import it into movie maker.

First go My computer-->documents-->my music--> select what ever song you want to use and drag or import it into I tunes or any other music playing program.  Once the music is in the program right click on it and hit copy.  Paste the song onto the desktop.  Next DRAG the song from your desktop into movie maker and it will put it in there. NOTE when you drag it your first time and it dosn't work try a few more times it dosn't always work first try
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 12:40:54 PM by Husky01 »
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 02:06:26 PM »
Vanwoo I think i get what your saying once the film is done in movie maker how do you save it so it can be viewed in like media player?  In movie maker click the task button and on the left side a list will come up click on save film to my computer. then you can watch it in other programs.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 02:15:32 PM by Husky01 »
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 09:44:09 PM »
Also when your saving to your computer it will walk you threw it in movie maker.
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline Steve9

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 08:27:22 AM »
o ok thanks

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 10:40:52 AM »
Anytime
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline weazely

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 01:29:54 PM »
STICKY!!!:O :O :O
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX.
Invidia V2 Catless Downpipe
STi Catback
HKS SQV BOV

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 07:57:41 PM »
Whats up with you sig?
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline Makoyouidiot

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 09:04:53 PM »
Thanks to you husky, I've finally made my first movie....but what's a good hosting site that won't screw up the quality like youtube? that's all I need to know right now, then I can post my video for the collective scrutiny of the AH community
Formerly known as Mako15, MakoShrk, and MattiasK, now flying as Matty, on long term leave.

"It's MAKO, you IDIOT!"

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 11:14:06 PM »
Well if the film is under 25mb http://www.speedyshare.com is a great hosting site that dosn't mess with quality if its over 25mb just go to Google and type free file hosting sites and something is bound to show up.:aok
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA