Author Topic: Warping (BAD) HELP!!!!!  (Read 406 times)

Offline wooly15

• Copper Member
Warping (BAD) HELP!!!!!
« on: April 20, 2007, 10:39:40 PM »
The past week I started experiencing horrible shuddering/warping.  First I assumed my connection was bad until I tried playing on my wife's laptop where everything ran smooth through the same router/modem configuration.  Then I knew it was a problem with my desktop.  I tried the following with no luck:

new network card (thought old was bad)
wireless card (to eliminate possibility of a bad cat 5 cable)
Reinstalled AH and hirez pack
Reinstalled Direct X
disabled all background processes

I shouldn't have a "horsepower" problem and I have been running it on the same machine for months with no problem.  Here are my specs:

AMD FX-62 Dual Core
2 gig Corsair XMS2
Nvidia 8800GTX
Vista Home Premium

One side note, every time I uninstalled AH and reinstalled it, it seemed like it had saved my settings somewhere.  My joystick settings, skins, and plane cache never went away. I even manually deleted the HTC folder.
Any ideas?  Going crazy here!

Offline wooly15

• Copper Member
Warping (BAD) HELP!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 11:06:47 PM »
one more thing I noticed...while flying in any arena, if I look out at the terrain, I notice that I seem to be jerking and lurching along, almost like I can see myself warping.

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
Warping (BAD) HELP!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 06:30:25 PM »
Wooley, do a search of my name in this forum.  Read the thread called Warping like Star Trek.  I never resolved my issue, but there were a ton of replies and maybe something in there can help you.  I have an AMD also (5000+) and I believe that is the problem.  I shoulda stuck with Intel.  Anyway, I hope you find the problem.  If you do, PM me.  Maybe you'll find something I missed.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline wooly15

• Copper Member
Warping (BAD) HELP!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 08:38:50 PM »
Wilco ranger. I actually did see your post, that's where I got most of my troubleshooting ideas.  Out of sheer frustration, I just re-installed vista and it's still doing the same thing.  Gonna go try disabling one core....BRB....no joy, that seemed to make it worse.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 08:54:14 PM by wooly15 »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Warping (BAD) HELP!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 09:40:27 AM »
Need to see the top half of the DXDIAG output.  But you mentioned Vista.  Vista is going to be an issue unless your computer has, at least 1GB of RAM and you have gone through the "Vista: Performance Hints and Tips" thread in this forum.

If you have an NVidia video card, you need to stay on top of the driver updates for Vista.  NVidia is still fumbling around a bit with the Vista drivers. ATI seems to be doing a little better.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline wooly15

• Copper Member
Warping (BAD) HELP!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 07:24:26 PM »
It has been working flawlessly for the past 3 months with no problem. I made no changes to my machine other than updates.  I am sure that it is a problem with my machine, I was just hoping someone else knows what it is. I have 2 gigs of RAM and I just updated the Nvidia drivers last night with no luck and I have read all sticky's and previous posts.

Offline wooly15

• Copper Member
Warping (BAD) HELP!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 08:30:01 PM »
here is the dxdiag info skuzz

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 4/23/2007, 21:15:14
       Machine name: HOME-PC
   Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_rtm.061101-2205)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
       System Model: System Product Name
               BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
          Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 FX-62 Dual Core Processor (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
             Memory: 2046MB RAM
          Page File: 544MB used, 3767MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
     DxDiag Version: 6.00.6000.16386 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
      Display Tab 1: The file nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL).  You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.
        Sound Tab 1: The file ctaud2k.sys is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL).  You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.
        Sound Tab 2: The file ctaud2k.sys is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL).  You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.
          Input Tab: No problems found.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
Warping (BAD) HELP!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 06:16:29 AM »
Why are there two sound tabs?  Be sure to grab the latest drivers from Creative as well.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline wooly15

• Copper Member
Warping (BAD) HELP!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 06:51:59 PM »
Don't know.  There's only one device listed under device manager.  The latest and greatest creative driver is installed.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
Warping (BAD) HELP!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 07:39:11 AM »
Originally posted by wooly15
Don't know.  There's only one device listed under device manager.  The latest and greatest creative driver is installed.

Do you have an onboard sound device and a plug in card?  If you have a plug in card, you may need to disable the onboard device in the bios...

Just a thought
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
Warping (BAD) HELP!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 08:04:46 AM »
Something is wrong there.  DirectX thinks you have two sound cards.  They are both the same driver.  So whenever a sound needs to be played, the driver is going to get called twice.  I have no idea what impact that could have, but it is certainly not a normal installation.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline TexInVa

• Nickel Member
Warping (BAD) HELP!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 05:46:44 AM »
Mine has two sound tabs, too. One of them (Sound 2) is for a modem.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
Warping (BAD) HELP!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 06:05:48 AM »
And that should be disabled in the hardware device manager.  Basically, the operating system or DirectX will be calling all the sound card drivers listed for every sound played.

So your computer performance suffers.  In many cases, stability problems will arise as well.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese