Author Topic: a memorable encounter  (Read 447 times)

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
a memorable encounter
« on: April 25, 2007, 08:38:39 AM »
yesterday i was walking across a piazza surrounded by government buildings and i walked past a woman who was sitting on a bench.  She was mid-thirtys, very average looking, casually dressed, neat hair, hands folded neatly in her lap, no purse.  she made eye contact as i walked by, and i noticed that her eyes were welling up with tears although her facial expression was impassive.  

i stopped, went back, sat down beside her and said, hi, can i help you?

she said, "am i in trouble?"

"not that i know of."  i said.   what is your name?

she said,  "i don't know."  i said, "how are you feeling? are you sick?"

she said, "i don't know."  

i said, "what are you doing here?"

she said, " i don't know.  my car is parked over there.  i was driving and driving and driving and every single road i went down came to an end.  i didn't know what to do.  then i saw a car with emergency lights on it and i followed it.  it came here, so this is where i stopped.  i don't know where this is.  im lost."

she had several bracelets on her left wrist.  one of them was a medical advisory type bracelet.  I asked her  "what is that for?"  she said, "i don't know."

I said "let me see it."  she held out her arm and i saw that the bracelet opened.  inside was a piece of paper folded up small like an accordian.  I  unfolded it and saw that it had writing on both sides.   One side said:

"MY NAME IS *****  ********.   I HAVE LOST MY MEMORY.  PLEASE HELP ME.  THERE ARE IMPORTANT PHONE NUMBERS TO CALL ON THE OTHER SIDE.  PLEASE CALL MY HUSBAND FIRST AT THIS NUMBER ***-***-****.

eventually the husband arrived to pick up his wife.   As he walked towards us, i asked her if that was her husband.  she said, "i don't know.  will i have to go with him?"  i said, "we'll see."

the husband walked up to us, shook hands with me and introduced himself to her as though they were strangers:

"Hello *******.   My name is *****.  I'm your husband.  You are not in any kind of trouble.  No one is mad at you.  Everything is going to be fine.  This is just something that happens to you occassionally because of a medical condition.  We've been married for 12 years.  Here is a photo of you and me with our three children.  The gentleman had multiple forms of identification with him, and he was able to calm her very well.   after viewing alll of it, she got comfortable with the idea that the man was her husband.  He showed me a letter from a physician stating that this women had been diagnosed with "Dissociative retrograde fugue".    

the women's husband said that this happens several times a year.  he said that he would take his wife home, and then at some point she would become very very tired and sleepy, and then sleep for a long time.  when she wakes up, she will have no memory of what happened during the missing time.  he said that this all started when she was a child due to severe abuse, and it recurrs in times of stress.  in this case, her dad suffered a stroke the day before.

I feel so sorry for people like this.  it left me reminded again- and feeling thankful for - a lot of things that i sometimes take for granted in life...   i thought some would find this interesting.
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
a memorable encounter
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 08:49:55 AM »
Nice of you to help Gunthr.  So many others would have walked past and not given their time.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
a memorable encounter
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 08:51:48 AM »
Memorable indeed.  <> gunthr
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
a memorable encounter
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 08:55:31 AM »
Gunthr ,even if I know you only through this forum this is the kind of reaction I can expect from you.

Good job.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
a memorable encounter
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 09:18:22 AM »
Sir,

I agree. You are a good person to have stopped to help. Its nice to know there are still folks out there like you, willing to help a stranger.

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
a memorable encounter
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 09:28:09 AM »
That's pretty cool Gun. I don't think I even know what a medical advisory bracelet looks like. :confused:

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
a memorable encounter
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 09:29:12 AM »
thank you guys...  it was just that i like to be thankful and always remember that life is very much harder for some people...  it helps my persepective on life.  anyway, any one of you would have helped her.  the tricky part was recognizing that she needed help...
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
a memorable encounter
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 09:38:03 AM »
very commendable gunther

JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
a memorable encounter
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 09:56:36 AM »
Gunther, Outstanding way to care and behave towards a fellow human. There's hope for us as a species yet when that kind of thing happens between strangers.

Indy,

Look at this web sit. They show several kinds of Medic Alert bracelets.
http://www.americanmedical-id.com/marketplace/detailscategory.php?catid=1048027492&fromsearchengine=google-medic_alert_bracelet&source=0D1002&gclid=CNHBq_yQ3osCFR1hgQodRxSsbA

If anyone has a condition such as diabetes, insect allergies, food allergies or any other kind of condition that can render you incapable of helping in your own treatment you would be advised to get one of these things with proper info from your Doctor.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
a memorable encounter
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 10:16:17 AM »
Gunthr, what you did is just wonderful.  Thanks on behalf of the human race.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
a memorable encounter
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 10:42:32 AM »
Gunthr, the world does not have enough Gunth's ;)
thumbs up for you :aok
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

VWE

a memorable encounter
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 10:56:01 AM »
I'm surprised you didn't take her home and teach her how to play AH2... that way you'd always have someone to clear your 6...

Offline megadud

• Gold Member
a memorable encounter
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 11:05:08 AM »
Originally posted by VWE
I'm surprised you didn't take her home and teach her how to play AH2... that way you'd always have someone to clear your 6...

unless she forgot. :)

j/k... good job gunthr :aok

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
a memorable encounter
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 11:14:34 AM »
Gunthr you Sir are the MAN!!!!  <<>>

:aok

Mac

Offline AquaShrimp

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
a memorable encounter
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 03:11:58 PM »
Wow, what a strange incident!  Very much like the movie "Memento".