Author Topic: Fw 190A vs P-47D diving from 25,000 ft to deck.  (Read 13973 times)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Fw 190A vs P-47D diving from 25,000 ft to deck.
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2007, 07:31:38 AM »
Who's on first?

190A5 & p47 are both close enough in dive ability, and speed that it makes more difference who gets nose down & unloaded first, than which is faster.

I know, I helped a player test exactly this about 3 years back.

So, the guy in the lead (the one being shot at) has the advantage.

Lag time, reaction time, will put him out of the other guys guns long enough to accelerate to top speed at which point the other plane can't close the range.

Now, when they come OUT of the dive is another story.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2007, 10:51:28 AM »
Originally posted by Stoney74

Personally, I don't understand why you're so dug in on this one--unless you've got some sort of agenda.

He has always had an agenda, albeit he has never been strident about it like some others. He likes the Luftwaffe aircraft. Just like those who like American, British, Japanese or Italian aircraft, he doesn't like to see them bashed. I can sympathize. I think that the Antons in AH2 need some adjustments to the flight models to improve their turn radius. I think the 109's flaps are now TOO good. I can agree with some of the things the Luftwaffe fans are asking for, and disagree on some others.

What bothers me is his reliance on Brown. I'd wager that Brown had less than 10 hours in P-47s. Guys like Parker Dupouy and Ken Jernstedt had thousands of test hours in Jugs. Both of these guys were veterans of the AVG, with vastly more combat experience than Brown. Then there's Lowery Brabham who is without peer when it comes to knowledge of the Thunderbolt.  

Viking is arguing that the P-47 was a death trap. He uses Brown's figure of Mach 0.73 like God etched it on a tablet. Brown is wrong. He's wrong in many ways.

You can look at the paper gripen provided a link to. You can examine the test data from the XP-47J which attained 493 mph at 33,350 feet early in the flight test program (Mach 0.737 in level flight) and 507 mph at 34,300 feet later (Mach 0.76 in level flight). Test pilot Mike Richie reported moderate  buffeting and increasingly strong lateral stick oscillation at that speed. Nothing I've looked at comes close to showing the P-47 at Mach 0.73 being out of control. Note that the XP-47J used the same wing as the P-47D-15. This fighter was designed and engineered to defeat the Fw 190. The prototype demonstrated that this goal had been easily exceeded. However, the issue of range dogged the XP-47J and the AAF was already changing their image of what they wanted. Republic responded to this with the superlative XP-72, which still used the efficient Michael Gregor (another ex patriot Russian) designed Seversky S3 wing.

Viking just sat through a seminar by Brown and was impressed with him. I've sat down with many distinguished pilots, some of them extremely experienced test pilots. All were impressive. Nonetheless, I would not hang my hat on their word alone. One fellow insisted that his P-47 had gone supersonic in a dive. I gently mentioned that this was not really the case, but a common instrument error associated with shock wave formation at the pitot tube orifice. He would have none of it, he went supersonic and that was that... There was no point in explaining that the propeller drag alone made his claim impossible. This guy had made up his mind and wasn't about to let anyone confuse him with facts. So be it. His comments on operational matters were spot-on. Separate the wheat from the chaff, that's the purpose of historians.

P-47s suffered no more from compressibility than did any other modern fighter of the era. The fact that it operated at extreme altitudes made encountering compressibility more common place. The F4U and F6F were placarded with lower max speed limitations. The fact that these fighters rarely operated above 25,000 feet meant that they had much fewer opportunities to get into long, high-speed dives. Still, there were fatalities from diving these fighters too fast as well. There are documented crashes of P-40s where compressibility was ruled the cause. It was not uncommon for 109s and 190s to go straight into the ground as well. Some were captured on gun camera film.

After all is said and done, Viking was simply stating that he believes that HTC should model a lower critical Mach for the P-47 so that his beloved 109s and 190s don't get their backsides handed to them when Combat Tour debuts.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2007, 11:00:19 AM »
Why Viking/Gsholz is hanging it all on Brown is simple.
Here is 1 (one) allied test pilot  who backs up his belief about the 47.
So now he'll hang on to it like a pit bull.

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Knegel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2007, 12:04:04 AM »
Originally posted by Viking
No the P-47 could not be trimmed out of a compressibility dive. The controls and trim tabs were completely ineffective until the Mach number was reduced to less than 0.73. Trying to trim out of dives killed many pilots by overloading the airframe when the controls became responsive again.

It is completely different than the 109. The 109 had a “flying tail” trim before the term was even invented. The whole tail plane would move with trim and thus remained effective at any and all speeds (theoretically even supersonic speeds). Trimming too much would of course overload the airframe.  The P-47 had trim tabs that were totally ineffective during compressibility dives. Losing control of the aircraft at Mach 0.73 and having no option than “riding it out” down to less than 10,000 feet where control was reestablished is totally unacceptable in a high-speed high-altitude fighter as Brown and the RAE found out. The problem was not as bad as with the P-38s that often lost their tail section in dives, but bad enough.

Hi,

what i meant is: Every experienced pilot could have trimmed the plane a bit upward before a dive!!!

As you can see in my question regarding the trim, i know about the 109/190 trim system.

The  P47B never saw combat, therefor the statements are absolut not valid, otherwise we also could use the 109F prototypes, where the wings felt off a bit early to make statements about the 109G and K.

Actually the 109´s had problems to get trimmed, specialy in high alt, where the system froze, until they found that a special lubricant was needed to prevent the freezing.

Originally posted by Widewing
 I think the 109's flaps are now TOO good. I can agree with some of the things the Luftwaffe fans are asking for, and disagree on some others.

Hi,

Not the 109 flaps are too good, almost ALL flaps are too good!!

The current flaps are so far outside of the physical law, they damage the realism of AH much and imho make it almost to an arcade game.

If i see a Spitfire using its flaps to turn like mad, i could get crazy. The Spitfire only had one step and it was made to slow the plane down and this flaps, same like ALL full extended flaps, dont help while turning!!

In AH the flaps work more like big ballons, even the vertical "hoovering" work better with extended flaps, thats a joke. And i can bank a plane almost 80% close to stall speed without to lose altitude, if i use full flaps. I also can roll the plane at this speed with rather smal alt lost. Do flaps novadays create sideward lift and -g lift, depending to the bank angle??

The turnradius of the FW190 seems to be ok to me!! Imho it have to much lift at slow speed, resulting in the very strange landing behaviour, where the plane tend to lift up again and again, even below 100mph.

Reduce the lift a bit, increase the drag a bit and specialy increase the power!!

Then we get the highspeed power plane, that live by its high cruise speed and high stage of energy/power.

The 190A5-8 couldnt turn sustained with the 109s, but it should be able to outzoom the 109F-109G6, Spit5-16 and HurriIIc out of highspeed. The inertia advantage of around 1000kg + the power advantage of up to 300hp should do the job!!

Curently the 190A´s, but also the D9, miss the outstanding initial acceleration, while the the acceleration above 400mph is too good.

More drag = less high speed accceleration
More power = better slow speed acceleration/climb, better upzoom behaviour.
Much less airfoil related lift= bringing the climb back to the realistic values and stopping the much to good slow speed handling.
A more big max AoA with flaps= Stopping the strange landing bahaviour.

Greetings,

Knegel
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 12:14:53 AM by Knegel »

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2007, 10:42:07 AM »
Anybody have any data on Seversky S-3 wing profile?

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2007, 06:18:57 PM »
Originally posted by Charge
Anybody have any data on Seversky S-3 wing profile?

-C+

No data, but a cross section...

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2007, 02:24:17 PM »
And, for you to say that Mach .73 was where the P-47 lost control is indisputable, is well...disputable, as there are many other credible sources in the aviation history world that counter it.

Then please provide these “other credible sources”.

Originally posted by Shuckins
Corky Meyer flew a P-47M in 1944.  Republic's engineers told him that test pilot Parker Dupouy had dived the Jug vertically to its maximum Mach number of .868 and made a very successful dive recovery-flap pullout.  This was 61mph faster than the P-47s compressibility entry Mach number.  Corky took the P-47M to 30,000 feet and pushed over into a 60-degree dive and ran the combined Mach number/airspeed indicator up to .80 - well past its compressibility limit Mach number.  He extended the dive recovery flaps which provided a stick-free 4G pullout that brought the fighter back below its airspeed limit within a "few easy seconds."

The P-47M had a completely redesigned semi-laminar flow wing that had a much higher critical Mach than earlier P-47 wings. Speed and dive figures for the (X)P-47M, N or J are not representative of the P-47C or D series.

You can examine the test data from the XP-47J which attained 493 mph at 33,350 feet early in the flight test program (Mach 0.737 in level flight) and 507 mph at 34,300 feet later (Mach 0.76 in level flight). Test pilot Mike Richie reported moderate  buffeting and increasingly strong lateral stick oscillation at that speed. Nothing I've looked at comes close to showing the P-47 at Mach 0.73 being out of control. Note that the XP-47J used the same wing as the P-47D-15.

Your “note” is inaccurate or an outright lie. The XP-47J wing was redesigned. So much in fact that they had to reduce armament to only six guns. The whole airframe was in fact redesigned. Speed and dive figures for the (X)P-47M, N or J are not representative of the P-47C or D series.

Now, is there is a reason why you and others here only present Mach figures for the P-47M and the experimental J (of course neglecting to include that they were completely redesigned and nothing like the C or D)? Perhaps you have an agenda? Or perhaps Brown is correct in that the RAE were the only ones to actually DO Mach speed test that early in the war.

After all is said and done, Viking was simply stating that he believes that HTC should model a lower critical Mach for the P-47 so that his beloved 109s and 190s don't get their backsides handed to them when Combat Tour debuts.

Please quote where I was “stating” that. You can’t, because you’re lying through your teeth. I’ve stated that the effects of compressibility is “easy mode” in Aces High … for ALL aircraft, so critical Mach is not so “critical” as to even be important in AH. Of course some aircraft benefit from this more than others, but such is life. We will have to wait and see what sort of threat the P-47 will pose to the LW in CT … and indeed if CT will be an accurate recreation of the European theatre. In R/L the LW would for the most part wait until the P-47s RTB’ed before attacking the bombers. If this option is made available to the LW I’m afraid the P-47 will take a backseat to the P-38 and P-51. However if CT is more a recreation of Hollywood the whole issue is irrelevant to me since such a game will hold little interest for me.

Originally posted by Knegel
what i meant is: Every experienced pilot could have trimmed the plane a bit upward before a dive!!!

What good would that do except perhaps preventing the plane from driving too fast by forcing the nose up?

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2007, 06:43:44 PM »

The P-47M had a completely redesigned semi-laminar flow wing that had a much higher critical Mach than earlier P-47 wings. Speed and dive figures for the (X)P-47M, N or J are not representative of the P-47C or D series.

Utter nonsense. The YP-47Ms were built as re-engined P-47D-27-RE types. There was no XP-47M. Production Ms were built from P-47D-30-RE airframes, having the same wing. All Ms have P-47D-30 serial numbers and were from the group built to the same contract (contact #W535-AC-29279-17). The J used the same wing as all other Jugs. Gun reduction was done per AAF specification. The P-47N was fitted with wing extensions that included fuel tanks. The wingtips were squared off, but the airfoil is still the Seversky S3.

Your “note” is inaccurate or an outright lie. The XP-47J wing was redesigned. So much in fact that they had to reduce armament to only six guns. The whole airframe was in fact redesigned. Speed and dive figures for the (X)P-47M, N or J are not representative of the P-47C or D series.

Now, is there is a reason why you and others here only present Mach figures for the P-47M and the experimental J (of course neglecting to include that they were completely redesigned and nothing like the C or D)? Perhaps you have an agenda? Or perhaps Brown is correct in that the RAE were the only ones to actually DO Mach speed test that early in the war.[/B]

Please, stop working so hard at being wrong. All production P-47s employed the Seversky S3 wing. The XP-47J used the S3 wing, lightened structure, but the same airfoil. Don't believe me? Do some research.... I spent many hours in the Republic Aviation archives housed at the Cradle of Aviation Museum researching the piece I wrote for their website (found here)

The only P-47 to fly with a laminar flow wing was a modified P-47B, the XP-47F.

Better yet, please provide a source that shows any production P-47 employing anything other than the S3 wing.

"Please quote where I was “stating” that. You can’t, because you’re lying through your teeth. I’ve stated that the effects of compressibility is “easy mode” in Aces High … for ALL aircraft, so critical Mach is not so “critical” as to even be important in AH. Of course some aircraft benefit from this more than others, but such is life. We will have to wait and see what sort of threat the P-47 will pose to the LW in CT … and indeed if CT will be an accurate recreation of the European theatre. In R/L the LW would for the most part wait until the P-47s RTB’ed before attacking the bombers. If this option is made available to the LW I’m afraid the P-47 will take a backseat to the P-38 and P-51. However if CT is more a recreation of Hollywood the whole issue is irrelevant to me since such a game will hold little interest for me.
[/B]

Come on Viking, we can read between the lines... If you were not trying to influence things, why even start this debate?

By the way, with the arrival of the P-47D-25, Jugs had the range to reach the western outskirts of Berlin from Britain. As it is, by mid 1943, with the fitting of 108 gallon belly tanks and plumbing, the P-47s could fly as far east as the Rhine. With the coming of the P-47D-25 and later models, they had adequate, if not spectacular range. By August of 1944, range was moot as most P-47s were all based in France.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2007, 07:59:11 PM »
Widewing-
I don't mean to get in the middle of this but you state that "there was no XP-47M" but yet on that article from the Cradle of Aviation Museum website states:

This is the only existing photo of the "unofficial" XP-47M test mule.

Ok, so it says "unofficial" but does that mean it didn't exist?  I guess what I am saying is I don't follow what you were trying to say.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2007, 08:30:36 PM »
Originally posted by DiabloTX
Widewing-
I don't mean to get in the middle of this but you state that "there was no XP-47M" but yet on that article from the Cradle of Aviation Museum website states:

This is the only existing photo of the "unofficial" XP-47M test mule.

Ok, so it says "unofficial" but does that mean it didn't exist?  I guess what I am saying is I don't follow what you were trying to say.

You have to remember that this aircraft was an in-house project, paid for out of Republic's R&D budget. It was constructed from a P-47C-5-RE and began flying months before the requirement for the P-47M came down from the AAF. Chief test pilot Carl Bellinger said that the XP-47M tag was applied in retrospect, and unofficially. When the AAF layed out their specification, Republic rolled out the factory hotrod P-47C. After the AAF reviewed the flight data, Republic was given the task of building three fighters with the same R2800 C series engine as installed in the P-47C. These were built from P-47D-27s taken right from the production line and designated YP-47Ms. So, there never was a sanctioned XP-47M, just a super fast P-47C.

By the way, that same P-47C was later the early testbed for the extended wet wing that was eventually used on the XP-47N.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2007, 08:48:14 PM »
Thanks Widewing, I just didn't understand what you were implying.  I love the P-47 and that article will make for some great late-night reading when I have nothing to do here at work.  Thanks for the clearification and the great posts you do here!
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2007, 08:56:00 PM »
Then please provide these “other credible sources”.

Widewing, do you have a copy of Hoerner's book, "Fluid Dynamic of Drag"?  I think it has a table listing WWII critical mach numbers that include the P-47, and since it's a textbook used by almost every aerodynamic engineer in the world, it may satisfy Vikings definition of "credible".

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2007, 10:27:05 PM »
Widewing, do you have a copy of Hoerner's book, "Fluid Dynamic of Drag"?  I think it has a table listing WWII critical mach numbers that include the P-47, and since it's a textbook used by almost every aerodynamic engineer in the world, it may satisfy Vikings definition of "credible".

I don't have a copy Stoney, but I'll bet it's an interesting read.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

Offline Knegel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2007, 01:20:37 AM »

What good would that do except perhaps preventing the plane from driving too fast by forcing the nose up?

Is that a joke question??

The pilot could push the stick until he notice compressibility effects, then its much more easy to get out of the dive. Stick forces are a major factor while getting out of a high speed dive. The FW190 and Bf109 trimsystem(used in all modern jets as well) was a good solution to overcome this, a up trimmed plane in a highspeed dive would have a very simmilar result.

But of course it also would help not to get into the critical mach.

Anyway, the P47 did proof its high alt escort abilitys, history have proofen the RAE wrong, so there is not much left to argue.

If the P47C was not combat worthy in high alt, the LW wouldnt have waited until the P47´s had to return to base. The P47s was a very good escort planes, specialy in high alt, where their super charger gave them a real advantage.

History tell us this: FW´s and 109´s was able to disengage Spits and Hurris in a dive, but not P47´s.  Of course, at speeds around mach 0,75 no pilot had to fear a attack, cause at this speeds it was rather difficult for every piston engined WWII plane to manouver. Even the P51 and Spitfire was nothing more than stiff, specialy while rolling, at this speeds.

Greetings,

Knegel

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2007, 06:01:39 AM »
"No data, but a cross section..."

Thx! It is hard to come by any info of those older wing profiles. It would also be interesting to find a cross section picture of the wing profile used in Bf109: NACA 2R1 14.2/ NACA 2R1 11.35. The books I have do not tell what kind of form 2R1 actually is.

Looking the S-3 profile it seems that the pressure build-up is very much different between upper and lower side and would therefore induce pretty much different shock waves between upper and lower side which may cause either up or down pitch of wing depending of how evenly the pressure changes between the upper and lower sides. That depends of the placing of maximum thicknesses and their relation to chord centerline.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1c/FAA-8083-3A_Fig_15-9.PNG

-C+
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 06:59:43 AM by Charge »
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."