Author Topic: Dropped radiolan kills AH instantly  (Read 414 times)

Offline airhog99

• Copper Member
Dropped radiolan kills AH instantly
« on: May 11, 2007, 05:24:56 PM »
Is it normal behaviour for AH to die as soon as a radio link (wifi) drops?
It would be nice with more graceful behaviour from AH.

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 06:08:38 AM »
if you lose connection then the game shuts down its that simple
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 06:21:13 AM »
Game shutdown is a graceful way to handle unexpected behavior.  The game is an online game and when the online component dies there is no point for the game to continue.

It is properly assumed if the network connection dies, something really bad has happened that should not have happened.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline airhog99

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 06:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
Game shutdown is a graceful way to handle unexpected behavior.  The game is an online game and when the online component dies there is no point for the game to continue.

It is properly assumed if the network connection dies, something really bad has happened that should not have happened.

Are you kidding?
The entire application dies without explanation!
It doesn't go back to the inital screen or anything like that.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 06:40:43 AM by airhog99 »

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 07:19:06 AM »
Originally posted by airhog99
Are you kidding?
It doesn't go back to the inital screen or anything like that.

Why should it? If you lose your signal it is to be assumed you have shut down your computer, or a signal no longer exists.

Offline airhog99

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 08:33:27 AM »
Originally posted by Serenity
Why should it? If you lose your signal it is to be assumed you have shut down your computer, or a signal no longer exists.

Signal?

By the way, a reasonable behaviour would be to let the user stay logged in and place him in one of the towers.

There is nothing magical about re-establishing an internet connection. If a long time elapses, then it is reasonable to be dumped back to the initial screen. It is never reasonable to kill the program outright.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 10:20:21 AM »
By the way, a reasonable behaviour would be to let the user stay logged in and place him in one of the towers.

There is nothing magical about re-establishing an internet connection. If a long time elapses, then it is reasonable to be dumped back to the initial screen. It is never reasonable to kill the program outright.
I'll agree to a point. If the connection is dropped you should dump to the main logon screen.

I would only go that far because if you lose your connection the game has no idea why it was lost. There could be a multitude of reasons for losing a connection. Many of which could cause a new IP address to be assigned, which changes your connection to HTC hence why you couldn't stay logged in.

However I tend to remember something being involved where a complete program shutdown/restart is required when a connection is lost. It just eludes me right now.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 10:22:23 AM »
I could site many reasons why it needs to close down, but I it would be infringing on our intellectual property.

You asked the question, I gave you the best answer possible.  In the light of unexpected behavior it is best to close down the application.  The game is not responsible for the Internet connection and never will be.  It is a game, not an operating system.

Now, if you do not like the answer, that is fine.  But that is the way it works and it will not change for the foreseeable future.

EDIT:  You cannot stay logged in, if you do not have an Internet connection or the connection to the server is down.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 10:48:50 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline airhog99

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 10:56:36 AM »
I could site many reasons why it needs to close down, but I it would be infringing on our intellectual property.

You asked the question, I gave you the best answer possible.  In the light of unexpected behavior it is best to close down the application.  The game is not responsible for the Internet connection and never will be.  It is a game, not an operating system.

Now, if you do not like the answer, that is fine.  But that is the way it works and it will not change for the foreseeable future.

EDIT:  You cannot stay logged in, if you do not have an Internet connection or the connection to the server is down.

Maybe I wasn't clear, but the dropout was in the range of a few seconds.

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 11:23:42 AM »
a drop out is a drop out. When dealing in milliseconds, " a few seconds " is for ever !

I would much rather re load the game after a loss of connection. In most cases, I reboot as well.  I don't want bits a pieces of software hanging in my ram and stuff when and if my connection was to restart. I think they handle it well, and the clue I ran into a problem is when I get dropped to my desktop.

Like Skuzzy says, "its the way it is", I'd say, learn to live with it.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 11:25:05 AM »
Does not matter.  A hard loss of the Internet service is an immediate hard failure of a write to the socket.  The OS does not event try to timeout on it.

It passes an immediate failure and cleans up the socket connection itself.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 11:53:33 AM »

Explanation: You have bad internet connection
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline airhog99

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2007, 12:15:04 PM »
Does not matter.  A hard loss of the Internet service is an immediate hard failure of a write to the socket.  The OS does not event try to timeout on it.

It passes an immediate failure and cleans up the socket connection itself.

The program could do something reasonable instead of quicking without informing the user what has happened. I'm reporting this as it might confuse people who do not know that they have intermittent droppouts.

I don't think I have ever seen a program just quitting like that (unless admittedly buggy). Remember that AH has an off-line mode as well which you can go into after quitting online play. This is where you should, at the very worst, end up (i.e the menu that allows off-line play.)

Offline airhog99

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2007, 12:18:49 PM »
Originally posted by The Fugitive
a drop out is a drop out. When dealing in milliseconds, " a few seconds " is for ever !

I would much rather re load the game after a loss of connection. In most cases, I reboot as well.  I don't want bits a pieces of software hanging in my ram and stuff when and if my connection was to restart. I think they handle it well, and the clue I ran into a problem is when I get dropped to my desktop.

Like Skuzzy says, "its the way it is", I'd say, learn to live with it.

Yeah, some "clue"..
As to "bits and pieces", etc, we now live in the 21st century, and the nightmare of Win95 and children is a faint memory for most people. We should demand a lot more than that. I expect my system to run for months on end without rebooting. But I have been running proper operating systems a long time (since NT4, and before that Unix).

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2007, 02:15:28 PM »
Yeah, some "clue"..
As to "bits and pieces", etc, we now live in the 21st century, and the nightmare of Win95 and children is a faint memory for most people. We should demand a lot more than that. I expect my system to run for months on end without rebooting. But I have been running proper operating systems a long time (since NT4, and before that Unix).

Well as you are so much more informed than the rest of us, I would love to try your flight simulation game. Yours must be much better graphically and have much better technology than AH2. Just post a link here and we can all give it a try.

There are reasons why its done the way it is, and Skuzzy told you it has to do with internal game information. I have no problem with HTC trying to protect their product.

But as anyone else looking through the post, it seems your not happy unless your complaining about something, so by all means have at it.