Author Topic: Merge tactics  (Read 1420 times)

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Merge tactics
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2007, 07:43:27 AM »
Originally posted by wetrat
I can't remember the last time I went for the stick-to-belly immelman merge. There are just too many ways to lose... he goes a little slower than you, you can get popped. He goes way faster, you're put in a bad spot right away. I almost always start a lazy turn to the right off the merge, and try to force a rolling scissor. If I don't manage to get a scissor started (ie. whoever I'm dueling isn't very aggressive, or tries to yo-yo or something), I'll generally get a snapshot if I'm flying well. I'm bad at describing things. PM me if you want me to dig up some films? I dunno. I basically just try to force you into making a mistake by reacting to whatever you're doing.
This is exactly my strategy as well.  I never go straight back on the merge.  I always start it off with an angle to force the guy into the rolling scissors where I feel most confident.   When I duel or fight the best sticks, it always ends in a form of the rolling scissors as we are both countering to achieve that same angle at the top.  :aok

Mark

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
Merge tactics
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2007, 11:35:37 AM »
Originally posted by swift
Immelman's aren't the way to go, again in my opinion. Rather than doing one, try the YoYo approach. Just by taking an angle rather than straight loop you conserve energy.

Ummm.... Immelmans dont "burn" E the conserve it and a good immel is probably one of the most efficient E manuvers there is.  Where as a flat turn is probably the most wasteful there is....  But given the nature of your reply i suspect that you are trying to feed the poor guy so much bad information....

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Merge tactics
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2007, 08:10:21 AM »
Originally posted by SkyRock
This is exactly my strategy as well.  I never go straight back on the merge.  I always start it off with an angle to force the guy into the rolling scissors where I feel most confident.   When I duel or fight the best sticks, it always ends in a form of the rolling scissors as we are both countering to achieve that same angle at the top.  :aok

Mark

Remember our duels? We started out with rolling scissors, but I would pull off nose high, and you would counter with a pitchback. Then we would start another rolling scissors, usually in the opposite direction. That was a great deal of fun.

When dueling, my goal is to force a flat turn, leading to a lufbery. Once I get a guy into a lufbery, I know I have him.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline lambo31

• Nickel Member
Merge tactics
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2007, 09:11:00 AM »
Going to show my lack of knowledge here. What is a pitchback and lufberry?  

Lambo
Ingame ID: Lambo

Offline cerberos

• Zinc Member
Merge tactics
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2007, 02:39:48 PM »
Wise words written here. Usually after a merge, I'll take a look behind me to see what my enemy is doing. The downside is that he will have a head start in a maneuver. The advantage is that it lets me choose a maneuver to best counter his and I won't just start maneuvering blindly. Sometimes you end up in a funny situation when both pilots wait for the other to make a move and just continue straight on :rolleyes: rarely happens though.

Offline Emu

• Copper Member
Merge tactics
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2007, 10:46:16 PM »
Originally posted by lambo31

Lambo

Ditto.  I have no clue either.

Emu

ps: if anyone has good films of merges that u could email me, please esnd them to me109bf   at   hotmail dot com.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Merge tactics
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2007, 01:49:09 AM »
Originally posted by lambo31

Lambo

A pitchback is a maneuver where you pull up the nose in a steep climb, and reverse your direction at or near the top of the climb. The film example shows rudder being used to rotate the aircraft.

Pitchback

A lufbery is a defensive circle. Typically it is performed by two or more friendly aircraft trying to protect each other from an enemy. It can also be a prolonged defensive turn flown by two adversaries, sometimes going around and around until one gains the advantage. The film example shows a Bf 109G-2 in a lufbery with two F4U-1As.

Lufbery

My regards,

Widewing
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 01:51:34 AM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline lambo31

• Nickel Member
Merge tactics
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2007, 07:47:21 AM »
thx widewing  

Lambo
Ingame ID: Lambo

Offline duddini

• Zinc Member
Merge tactics
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2007, 09:48:59 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
A pitchback is a maneuver where you pull up the nose in a steep climb, and reverse your direction at or near the top of the climb. The film example shows rudder being used to rotate the aircraft.

Pitchback

Looking at the film, isn't this also called a wingover??  Us noobs get confused easily :D

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Merge tactics
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2007, 11:17:35 PM »
Originally posted by duddini

Pitchback

Looking at the film, isn't this also called a wingover??  Us noobs get confused easily :D

Good point. I should have stated that it's a pitchback into a very tight wingover. A pitchback as described in some texts refers to a climbing reverse.  Wingovers are difficult in most AH2 aircraft. F4Us and P-38s are just about the best at this.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Merge tactics
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2007, 08:11:56 AM »
Remember our duels? We started out with rolling scissors, but I would pull off nose high, and you would counter with a pitchback. Then we would start another rolling scissors, usually in the opposite direction. That was a great deal of fun.

When dueling, my goal is to force a flat turn, leading to a lufbery. Once I get a guy into a lufbery, I know I have him.

My regards,

Widewing

Yup, much fun!  I think Widewing is the best lufberry fighter I've met!  We'll do it again sometimes Widewing!

Mark

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
Merge tactics
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2007, 09:40:58 AM »
Originally posted by SkyRock
I think Widewing is the best lufberry fighter I've met!  We'll do it again sometimes Widewing!

Yes, I'd imagine getting in a lufberry with the guy who practically writes the books on sustained turn rates of all the AH aircraft wouldn't be the best idea :)

Skyrock, you still muted?  Kinda hard to get together for some duels when we can't talk in game :D
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Merge tactics
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2007, 05:54:48 PM »
I was only muted for eight days!  Gimme a shout!  

Mark