Author Topic: Republican Debate last night  (Read 2330 times)

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
Republican Debate last night
« on: May 16, 2007, 07:59:34 AM »
Both entertaining and informative.

Favorite line: Congress has "spent money like John Edwards at a beauty shop..." Gov. Mike Huckabee

Winner (in my book, anyway): Gov Huckabee.  He said everything I wanted to hear, though I still need to research his record as governor; however, I didn't hear anyone claim he'd changed positions on core values, which is a positive.

Loser: Ron Paul, due to his "blaim America for 9/11" remarks and a complete lack of understanding of Mid-East history and politics.
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline bsdaddict

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 10:06:46 AM »
From the NYT transcript:

MR. GOLER: Congressman Paul, I believe you are the only man on the stage who opposes the war in Iraq, who would bring the troops home as quickly as -- almost immediately, sir. Are you out of step with your party? Is your party out of step with the rest of the world? If either of those is the case, why are you seeking its nomination?

REP. PAUL: Well, I think the party has lost its way, because the conservative wing of the Republican Party always advocated a noninterventionist foreign policy.

Senator Robert Taft didn't even want to be in NATO. George Bush won the election in the year 2000 campaigning on a humble foreign policy -- no nation-building, no policing of the world. Republicans were elected to end the Korean War. The Republicans were elected to end the Vietnam War. There's a strong tradition of being anti-war in the Republican party. It is the constitutional position. It is the advice of the Founders to follow a non-interventionist foreign policy, stay out of entangling alliances, be friends with countries, negotiate and talk with them and trade with them.

Just think of the tremendous improvement -- relationships with Vietnam. We lost 60,000 men. We came home in defeat. Now we go over there and invest in Vietnam. So there's a lot of merit to the advice of the Founders and following the Constitution.

And my argument is that we shouldn't go to war so carelessly. (Bell rings.) When we do, the wars don't end.

MR. GOLER: Congressman, you don't think that changed with the 9/11 attacks, sir?

REP. PAUL: What changed?

MR. GOLER: The non-interventionist policies.

REP. PAUL: No. Non-intervention was a major contributing factor. Have you ever read the reasons they attacked us? They attack us because we've been over there; we've been bombing Iraq for 10 years. We've been in the Middle East -- I think Reagan was right.

We don't understand the irrationality of Middle Eastern politics. So right now we're building an embassy in Iraq that's bigger than the Vatican. We're building 14 permanent bases. What would we say here if China was doing this in our country or in the Gulf of Mexico? We would be objecting. We need to look at what we do from the perspective of what would happen if somebody else did it to us. (Applause.)

MR. GOLER: Are you suggesting we invited the 9/11 attack, sir?

REP. PAUL: I'm suggesting that we listen to the people who attacked us and the reason they did it, and they are delighted that we're over there because Osama bin Laden has said, "I am glad you're over on our sand because we can target you so much easier." They have already now since that time -- (bell rings) -- have killed 3,400 of our men, and I don't think it was necessary.

MR. GIULIANI: Wendell, may I comment on that? That's really an extraordinary statement. That's an extraordinary statement, as someone who lived through the attack of September 11, that we invited the attack because we were attacking Iraq. I don't think I've heard that before, and I've heard some pretty absurd explanations for September 11th. (Applause, cheers.)

And I would ask the congressman to withdraw that comment and tell us that he didn't really mean that. (Applause.)

MR. GOLER: Congressman?

REP. PAUL: I believe very sincerely that the CIA is correct when they teach and talk about blowback. When we went into Iran in 1953 and installed the shah, yes, there was blowback. A reaction to that was the taking of our hostages and that persists. And if we ignore that, we ignore that at our own risk. If we think that we can do what we want around the world and not incite hatred, then we have a problem.

They don't come here to attack us because we're rich and we're free. They come and they attack us because we're over there. I mean, what would we think if we were -- if other foreign countries were doing that to us?

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 10:34:57 AM »
What a shame he's gone off the deep end like that.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 10:36:05 AM »
What Ron Paul said is not a fabrication, or an untruth.  

As long as we are beholden to fossil fuels to run our economic engine, we will find ourselves entangled on the broken blade of that idiotic religion that runs every aspect of every cheapened ignorant life in the middle eastern region.  

I would rather make oil obsolete with new technologies, than continue to lose precious american souls trying to maintain control over those regions that produce the pollution causing fuels that feed our economy and our military.  Too bad our leadership seems to be so blind to this reasoning.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 10:41:06 AM »
MR. GIULIANI: Wendell, may I comment on that? That's really an extraordinary statement. That's an extraordinary statement, as someone who lived through the attack of September 11, that we invited the attack because we were attacking Iraq. I don't think I've heard that before, and I've heard some pretty absurd explanations for September 11th. (Applause, cheers.)

Lived through it?

WTF? He lived near it maybe.

Offline Tango

• Silver Member
      • http://www.simpilots.org/
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 10:43:13 AM »
I agree with you, Yeager, about getting away from oil usage. However that won't stop them from attacking us. The whole mentality of them is to make the whole world into a Muslim world.
Tango78
78th Razorbacks
Historical Air Combat Group

Offline Tango

• Silver Member
      • http://www.simpilots.org/
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 10:46:37 AM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
Lived through it?

WTF? He lived near it maybe.

Thats a pretty idiotic statement.

The whole country was with them that day. That was this generations Pearl Harbor. I remember where I was when all that happened. Do you?
Tango78
78th Razorbacks
Historical Air Combat Group

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 10:50:38 AM »
Huckabee's excited interest in doubling the size of Guantanamo so that we could store more people without access to legal representation (that was his main apparent reason) and Giuliani's wishy-washy sorta pro-torture stance were pretty telling.  Ron Paul said some things that were unpopular, but he seemed to be the most honest.  

It is seductive to say what you know people want to hear, and it takes fortitude to say what you mean and what you believe is right in the face of that pressure.

The strength of a man's character is an important factor in a decision like this.  I'd rather elect someone I occasionally disagreed with  (that I knew would do what he felt right) versus someone who said everything I wanted to hear (but flip flops back and forth at the drop of an opinion poll).
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 11:28:33 AM by Chairboy »
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 11:22:04 AM »
I find myself in agreement with Paul.

Washington's Farewell Address nailed it down pretty well and that's all Paul really said...Washington was right.

And we are going to have to find something WE have that we can use as a substitute for foreign oil. Nuke power is one of those, coal shale may well be another, we can hope for thermal depolymerization of ag waste but sooner or later and preferable sooner we need to do something on a major scale. Selling 100,000 electric cars ain't gettin' 'er done.

We just need to get on with this; there are more and more options all the time.

Currently the oil from Jatropha curcas seeds can be used for making biodiesel fuel in India, and is being promoted as an easily grown biofuel crop in hundreds of projects throughout India and the third world [1]. The rail line between Mumbai and Delhi is planted with Jatropha and the train itself runs on 15-20% biodiesel.

The plant can grow in wastelands, and it yields more than four times as much fuel per hectare as soybean, and more than ten times that of corn. A hectare of jatropha produces 1,892 liters of fuel (about 6.5 barrels per acre). Also Jatropha is a one-stage conversion to biodiesel

Gotta love something that grows in a wasteland, produces more fuel than an equivalent acre of soybeans and is a one-stage conversion to fuel.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 11:28:57 AM by Toad »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 11:24:00 AM »
I think Ron Paul was spot on.
sand

Offline L'EMMERDEUR

• Zinc Member
      • http://http://www.bushslastday.com/
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 11:46:53 AM »
Other than Paul are there any other GOP candidates who give them a chance for votes from anyone but 30-percenters and Jebus people?  I might have to hop on this bandwagon.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 11:48:48 AM »
I seriously doubt that either Billary or Obama can win Kansas, so I'm reasonably certain, even at this early date, that I'll write in Paul.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 11:56:34 AM »
The whole mentality of them is to make the whole world into a Muslim world.
====
     I believe we could go a very long way towards diffusing the muslim radicals if we managed to end our dependancy on oil.  The majority non radicals might go out of their way to deal with the radicals if we provided them with less angst towards us.

However, I agree with you on the radical islamers.  My analogy of radical islam is as a fast spreading cancer requiring radical life preserving surgery that, out of necessity, would kill off all surrounding healhty tissues.   Most people cannot accept my reasoning because in order to destroy radical islam, so many non radicals would need to be incinerated along with the radicals.  But if a mushroom cloud rises over an American city, I suspect my analogy would come to pass in a single day of multiple shroom clouds over the arab desert cities and holy sights.  Out of necessity.  Man, what a day world that would be, but at least I think the western world could survive it.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 12:01:58 PM »
At the cost of our collective soul, perhaps.  Today's Germany still feels the aftereffects of the Holocaust, I'm not sure the USA would be able to avoid the same or worse.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 12:15:54 PM »
I don't really think there will be a big conflict. I'm sure they realize they can't win a war against a modern army. cripes, all of them together have never beaten Israel even when Israel gave them a head start.

They can peck at us with relatively minor terrorist actions. We'll survive those too, albeit painfully.

Where they will win is in the ballot box. They're outproducing us by an amazing amount when it comes to birthing new voters. In the end, our own democratic principles will be used to install Sharia.

Enjoy that thought.  ;)