Author Topic: OK this multi-arena crap has gotta go  (Read 16705 times)

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
OK this multi-arena crap has gotta go
« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2007, 12:17:17 PM »
Originally posted by chaingun
its true, i dont even fly w/ my squad anymore b/c of the arena bs, gotta fix this thing, vets are falling by the wayside, influx newbs etc, etc

Vets are falling by the wayside ? ... please provide us a list of these wayward souls.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2007, 12:18:56 PM »
I'd love to see Arena caps lifted.  I like the EW and MW when i have something I want to experiment with under arena conditions but there was nothing that compared with the MA.  I suggest a capped LW arena for those who wish to have numbers rigidly controlled and a MA setup for the other 80% who would prefer it.
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #107 on: May 31, 2007, 12:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Laurie
i have been thinking similiar things a while now,

i think we need less arenas, 2 or 3, maybe merge LW and MW

Leave EW and MW alone ... those of us who really enjoy those arenas, I don't think, want these arenas to be part of an LW problem or solution.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2007, 12:20:06 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
Vets are falling by the wayside ? ... please provide us a list of these wayward souls.

Slapshot, I was away 6 months over this issue, have been here over 5 years and an avid flight gamer since 92.
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline Yknurd

• Silver Member
      • Satan Is Cool...Tell Your Friends
« Reply #109 on: May 31, 2007, 12:23:36 PM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
I do agree with getting rid of rank. It would probably kill the EW/MW arenas, but, as has been said in the past, the point isn't to fill those arenas, it's just to give people choices. Those who really like the early planesets have a place to mix it up,...
I like the EW.  I especially enjoy the plane set.

And it's oh-so-much-fun to look for the flashing base.  I'll even switch countries to find one (read: I see a hoard ganging a base, I have/will switch countries to get kills).

... and the idiots like eaglehrt will quit.
lols

Make ENY tougher, encourage people to move around. Fundamentally change the structure of the game, and prevent anyone without a valid DL from using vox.
Good ideas.  Too bad we can't filter out the squeeker frequencies in vox.
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline 68slayr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #110 on: May 31, 2007, 12:31:26 PM »
THIS IS WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE:

keep EW and MW
Keep Rank...if you dont like it dont worry about it

PUT BOTH LWs together if possible and add BIG MAPS (Donut, ozkansas, and trinity  :D )

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: OK this multi-arena crap has gotta go
« Reply #111 on: May 31, 2007, 12:33:13 PM »
Originally posted by SHawk

The Early and Mid war arenas are nothing but a milking tool  for lamers.

Sounds like BiPolar and BPARKER have been playing in the MWA arena again.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #112 on: May 31, 2007, 12:33:22 PM »
Originally posted by Mr No Name
Slapshot, I was away 6 months over this issue, have been here over 5 years and an avid flight gamer since 92.

I have been around that long too ... and I have never quit ... and I see quite a few of "vets" still playing the game. Yes some have left due to the last and latest changes, but some have left for other reasons that have nothing to do with the last and latest changes.

The point of my post was that ... I am curious to see who he thinks are "vets" and also ... who cares if the "vets" are leaving and for what reason.

Just cause you have been around for awhile means that your leaving has more weight than someone who hasn't been around for awhile ... not in my book.

A "vet" means you have longevity ... nothing else. There are some "vets" that I would love to see leave the game.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #113 on: May 31, 2007, 12:44:57 PM »
Originally posted by Tilt
Hordes are "local" phenomenums a horde populates part of an arena then moves on to another part.

Hence hordes destory local competitiveness they are not an arena wide function they may not even be a function of the most heavily populated side.

A Zone or field limit will limit horde activities. It is simply a limit on how many players can be spawned from any one field at any one time. It can be a dynamic limit similar to ENY such that the number changes with respect to population, population balance and the number of fields available.

It's draw backs is it forces large groups who want to launch together (big squads and big missions) to use rear fields or fields  slightly more removed from a heavily populated area of combat. However this also lessens the effect large squads and big missions have when they would otherwise add to the horde.

Equally if a large mission launches at a new target "Camp followers" will quickly find they cannot follow as the local limit has been reached............... there are no more planes available from that field.

I totally disagree with limiting how many can spawn in a certian zone. When I suggested the ENY by zone or region it would IMO naturally cause a lot of players to move to other parts of the map.

We all know there are guys that can't live with out their LA7's, Typhoons and Spit16's.. We always hear about it when they complain on the forums about ENY. Hell I even complain when I can't use a 110 for a base attack.

So IMO it would kill two birds with one stone, guys could still up their low ENY rides at other bases with less countrymen around and it would help with the hoards by making the guys that want to fly s those planes go elsewhere on the map. Meaning if you wanted to hoard, then you would have to do it in a high ENY plane.

However if you limited the amounts of numbers in anyt certian area it would tick a lot of people off.  

I've suggested this before and it's fallen on death ears for the most part but honestlly I think it's the best solution to solving the hording and ENY issues. I think I'll make a new post about it for the hell of it just to see if the idea gains any support this time around.
"strafing"

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
Re: Re: OK this multi-arena crap has gotta go
« Reply #114 on: May 31, 2007, 12:50:47 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack

ack-ack

Yea I logged into the early war arena last night when I couldn't join my squadies in Orange.  I actually found a good fight right off the bat.  I shot him down the first time, then he killed me the second time. After that the player logged and I saw nothing but JU88's milk running.

I can understand a noob going into to practice killing a CV or something, but I saw one squad with 3 guys in there that captured two undefended V bases within the 20  to 30 mins I was in that arena.
"strafing"

Offline DaPup

• Copper Member
« Reply #115 on: May 31, 2007, 12:51:31 PM »
There are some "vets" that I would love to see leave the game.

:cry What did I ever do to you?

Offline DaPup

• Copper Member
« Reply #116 on: May 31, 2007, 12:53:35 PM »
Originally posted by crockett
I totally disagree with limiting how many can spawn in a certian zone. When I suggested the ENY by zone or region it would IMO naturally cause a lot of players to move to other parts of the map.

I used to like the way AW limited the number that could lift from a certain area, I wouldn't mind seeing that implemented here.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #117 on: May 31, 2007, 12:57:29 PM »
Originally posted by Mr No Name

I also have been here for over 5 years. The arenas split is what keeps me here, and came just in time - I was considering to quit.

Game play improved considerably with the small maps and smaller population per arena. At least my kind of game play.  

ENY limiter is a success in my eyes as it fill its main 2 functions:
1. Making people choose between uber rides OR horde base taking.
2. Provide entertainment through endless whines on the BBS.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #118 on: May 31, 2007, 01:08:35 PM »
Keep stats, but get rid of ranking all together.

Most people, in general, have always and will always be concerned with personal perception and how they are seen and judged by other people. It's human nature and in this game its no different.

As long as there is rank, people will strive for higher rank so that when the possibility of being judged or judging others is a factor, they can point to it to defend or ostracise ... and in most cases, from what I have seen, it is used to ostracise.

There is a faction and mindset in this game, that if you carry a high rank, you are way cool, elite, and are a force to be reconded with, when in reality, most know that the ranking system is a joke.

I would be safe in saying that anyone who is ranked, at least in the top 100, uses the EW and MW to easily bolster their ranking ... including you SHawk.

Nothing wrong with doing it ... cause it's there ... but I believe that ranking, at point in the Aces High timeline and mindset, is the root of all that is evil in this game.

Get rid of ranking first, then see where the dust settles, and then make adjustments accordingly.

Keep your hands and ideas off the EW/MW ... this "problem" is an LW problem.

I would be safe in saying that anyone who is ranked, at least in the top 100, uses the EW and MW to easily bolster their ranking ... including you SHawk.

With regards to myself you would NOT be safe in saying.  The reason being pointed out in your first paragraph.

Most people, in general, have always and will always be concerned with personal perception and how they are seen and judged by other people. It's human nature and in this game its no different.

Been along time since Ive been in either of these arenas and you'll be very unlikely to see me in them in the near future.  Reason being I don't want to be tarnish as a milk runner score hoarder even though some profess that is what I am.  Secondly last time I was in there to fight and it was 18 bish 11 rook and 2 bloody knights......yer great fun:rolleyes:

The scores should be separated outta these arena's if anything.  Combined LW scores & combined EW, MW.

Now to the post in general.

It's been a good while having split arenas and it must be working for HTC's customer retention, even though I would prefer 1 MA.  It would be interesting to know if it's the power of tv advertising as opposed a genius concept to split.  The quote was something like "we are expecting a large influx of new players".  Plenty new players around and plenty old names have left.  Merry go round but it must be working.

Also pointed out we are the vocal minority.  We on these boards are 1% of the player base & of that 1% only 4% actually post.  Take it 2 ways.  99.6% couldn't give a monkeys toss or the 4% of 1 are passionate about the game excluding, the lunch time jokers.

I'll end here by saying there won't be any changes until September when HTC's pie chart shows a drop in numbers (kids back to school) and has another dicky fit like the previous last 2 years.  Revenue is the key.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: OK this multi-arena crap has gotta go
« Reply #119 on: May 31, 2007, 01:15:44 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack

ack-ack

:lol