Author Topic: OK this multi-arena crap has gotta go  (Read 16930 times)

Offline BBBB

• Nickel Member
OK this multi-arena crap has gotta go
« Reply #150 on: May 31, 2007, 11:35:17 PM »
Originally posted by OntosMk1
BBBB, POE and POE2 are FANTASTIC!! Its a shame that EA has decided to not to patch BF2 anymore. You guys in the POE camp keep up the great work.

Thanks. EA is pretty much forcing the mods to use to use 2142 to work off of now by not patching BF2. I am not sure if we are going to switch or not. I think the team is pretty much split, half  the team wants a new engine to play with and the others can't stand the way EA treats us, so they want to stick with the BF2 engine.
 EA looks at us as their competition rather than an enhancement for their product. Since EA is not going to patch BF2 anymore it would be great if they would allow the mods to use the locked stuff like unlockable weapons and things.

On topic.
Originally posted by F1Bomber
I would like to see what hitech does in regards to gameplay by listening to the remainder of his 99% of his customers, not including the 1% that post on the forum. I doubt that the people on this forum represent the current thoughts about the game or the direction the game should be heading.

I disagree. Most of the guys here that are saying they want the game changed back to what it was, are guys that have been around for awhile. We make up far more player base then the 1% you gave us credit for. The BBS is mostly made up of the loyal player base. Not your summer time Quake lovers. These issues have been addressed before. I am sure they will be addressed again. And I am sure it will be met with the same silence as before.

-Sp0t

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
« Reply #151 on: June 01, 2007, 12:28:14 AM »
135 is a lot of hours but Shawk is self employed and keeps his family fed and happy. I know this because I've met the Mullah of Mullets in person along with his wife.(and their 2 shiny new jet skis they left tied to my dock overnight and I somehow managed not to joyride them)

Those whackjobs that play over 200 hours a month need a life, regardless of their financial situation.  Shawk used to play that much until his wife threatened to leave him, err ran an intervention.   :D

A casual search shows Aaolds at top usage:  228 hours. Wow.
Maybe there are those that are higher... wow.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 12:32:17 AM by SteveBailey »

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #152 on: June 01, 2007, 05:16:11 AM »
What brought about all these split arena's changes in the first place?  One can only speculate. My theory being it's down to revenue.  Why else would anyone at the drop of a hat make those changes without prior WARNING to it's customers.  

Another theory I have is that PIE charts showed a big drop in player base but HTC didn't recognize it as kids going back to school.  Why do I think this?  Well the changes happened in September and they happened a year before in September.  Whats going to happen this September gawd only knows......mark my words!

As for HTC not contributing to these boards as he once did, it's plain and simple.  We (collectively) have pissed him off.  Billy Connely sketch sums up HTC's problem with us.  Now I turn Darwinianism with a sprinkling of David Bellomly.....what we see here is the transition from friendly local trader to purposeful businessman.  Nothing wrong with that by the way because it can only lead to a larger player base and eventually better changes.  If we didn't like it we'd leave in droves and a hard core businessman will be ahead of the ball.  Having said that I feel there's gap the those at Hitech could maximise upon.  1) Some kind of tutorial for newbies.  Just check out channel 6 HELP..."how do I take off" being the number 1 question.  2) 2 week newbies informed that they will to be auto placed in the lowest side with a pop up on exiting game saying "enlist now".   $14.95 going to drop in the basket quicker with this little hook.

As for me I didn't see any problem with a single MA and would like to see it back but if we are and, it looks like it, going to stay with splits.  Gawd sake larger maps or different maps...please.

SteveBailey wrote
Those whackjobs that play over 200 hours a month need a life,

Assuming your a man of reasonable intelligence...assuming!  I would put it to you to ponder a couple of things.  Why would a guy like myself play 200 + hours per month? How could a person like myself afford the time? and indeed who is the "whackjob"?  The guy playing 200+ hours or the guy overly concerned with other people business?

Now once you've, not so much search your soul, but your intelligence you'll be a 10th of the way to the answer..... have a taxing day:rolleyes:

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #153 on: June 01, 2007, 06:38:30 AM »
Originally posted by LYNX
What brought about all these split arena's changes in the first place?  One can only speculate. My theory being it's down to revenue.  Why else would anyone at the drop of a hat make those changes without prior WARNING to it's customers.  

No need to speculate. HT said why he did it. He didn't like the "Horde Arena" and the kind of gameplay that was there. Many players didn't like the Horde Arena also. HT decided this is what's best for the game. If "best" is measured in dollars income or fun or his vision of the game, we really don't know.

So far, I like it much better so HTC still gets my 15$. The emptiness of the MWA is a great disappointment of the player base, by me. I can't blame HTC for not giving me what I want. Even though MWA failed, LWA are far better then MA used to be.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 01, 2007, 07:29:24 AM »
Originally posted by SteveBailey
Those whackjobs that play over 200 hours a month need a life

Yeah, something really must be wrong with that kind of people...

(I'm glad I only logged 199:45:46 this month ;) )
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Zwerg

• Copper Member
« Reply #155 on: June 01, 2007, 07:31:54 AM »
Originally posted by bozon
No need to speculate. HT said why he did it. He didn't like the "Horde Arena" and the kind of gameplay that was there.
[...]

And if I got it right HT didn't like the behaviour on chl200 above all.

There is 1 thing I don't understand.
Why did HT change 4 parameters at the same time in a complex system?
1) Arena split.
2) More ack.
3) Uncapturable bases.
4) No big maps.

Panic? Weariness?

storch

lol at wise king shawk
« Reply #156 on: June 01, 2007, 07:36:11 AM »
Originally posted by SHawk
Now adding Storch to the list. Oh wait he's already on it.

He'll hi-jack every single thread here. Again, my point is made. Idiots like this should be banned permanently from the forums. They just simply can't resist the temptation to act like a complete tard.:mad:
well perhaps you should change countries and execute that hit list.  I don't mind wading through your groupies to pop your bellybutton as you run squaking for salvation.

maybe I'll hunt YOU down in the EW/LW in the mornings after my income producing season is over and I have 200hrs a month of discreationary time for mullet whacking.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 01, 2007, 07:50:56 AM »
Originally posted by Zwerg

1) Arena split.
2) More ack.
3) Uncapturable bases.
4) No big maps.

Panic? Weariness?

It was not all done at the same time.

The Arena split and no more large maps were the first things that were changed in september.

The ack was increased in november.

Our current system of winning the war (including the uncapturable bases) was introduced in december.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline BBBB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #158 on: June 01, 2007, 07:51:48 AM »

1) Arena split.
2) More ack.
3) Uncapturable bases.
4) No big maps.

Panic? Weariness?

More money. Halo and Quake are both good money makers. Why not get in on some of that LEET cash DooD! I ams goin to get meh RV-8 and pwn j00 allz!

-Sp0t

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #159 on: June 01, 2007, 09:01:50 AM »
1) Arena split.
2) More ack.
3) Uncapturable bases.
4) No big maps.

These parameters affect different aspects and not necessarily affect each other.

1) Was done in order to split the population and have 200-300 players areana instead of 400+. It also included the "Era" arenas. Initially LWA included only late-war planes, but the massive whines convince HT to enable early war planes as well (probably a good thing over all).

2) More acks were added to prevent from a single figher vulch/deack/disable a field. It had nothing to do with the split and was not done simultaneously (iirc).

3) Uncapturable bases was added after HTC experimented with a new way of limiting base captures - the bases had to be captured in a certain order. This was set up in an experimental arena. It didn't turn out too good. HTC wanted to discourage 2 countries ganging on the 3rd smallest one and allow the ganged country to still put up a fight. The Un-capturable bases are part of the new "win conditions". Instead of eliminating a country, the map is won by capturing a percentage of the total bases on the map. In other words - the wining country need to capture bases from both the other countries and no country can be eliminated (only reduced to the uncapturable bases).
I consider this a VERY good change.

4) Since smaller population per arena was considered desirable, the maps were too big for the lower numbers.

So only 1 and 4 are directly related. 2 and 3 are independent.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #160 on: June 01, 2007, 09:18:23 AM »
Originally posted by LYNX

Another theory I have is that PIE charts showed a big drop in player base but HTC didn't recognize it as kids going back to school.  Why do I think this?  Well the changes happened in September and they happened a year before in September.  Whats going to happen this September gawd only knows......mark my words!

Guess you missed this post by Pyro ...

============================================
I'm going to shut down the first thread due to its size and continue here. I'll start off with a FAQ of sorts on some things that were brought up in the original thread. Keep it civil please.

Why did you make this change?

We made this change because it will allow us to support an unlimited amount of players in a much healthier online environment that gives us better long-term growth. The single MA has grown to the point of being unhealthy. This is not a subjective evaluation, it is quantifiable and they are numbers that we look at every day. It's obvious that we simply cannot keep pumping more players into a single arena without hitting a stagnation point.

Why are you doing this now?

There's a convergence of factors such as current arena health, player mass, time of year and a couple of things in the pipeline that we believe will provide an influx of players. Taken together, we believe this is the best time to make this transition.

Is this being done for technical reasons?

No. While some people on lower end machines may see some performance benefit, it's not for technical reasons that the change is being made.

This is going to fracture the community.

We disagree. Communities grow and healthy growth requires structure. Just packing in as many people as possible creates a slum, not a community. We now have multiple neighborhoods in our community, but they are all connected.

The caps need to be adjusted.

The cap numbers as well as the numbers of arenas will undergo adjustment as needed. During the transition, we feel its important not to make them too large in order to overcome habit and herding behavior. Things will change as we move through the transition period and people begin to regain their comfort level.

We need better tools to find or communicate with people across the different arenas.

We agree. We have some host side changes that will be coming out shortly that will facilitate cross arena communication and hooking up with your squad mates and we'll continue to develop more things that will help in this area.

Are you crazy?

No, we are rational and unemotional about this. We don't undertake a major change because we're masochists; we make the change because we believe that it is ultimately what's best for the game.

Why didn't you take a poll or announce it earlier?

It wouldn't be useful to us for this change. We know it's going to be controversial. The real test is not whether people think they're going to like it or dislike it, it's what happens after we make the transition and things are settled. I didn't like beer the first time I tried it but I've grown quite fond of it since then. The transition is the worst part and we have no interest in dragging that out opening up a conflict of speculation before it even starts. We ultimately have to do what we think is best for the game.

============================================
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline LTARghst

• Copper Member
Never thought I would say this!
« Reply #161 on: June 01, 2007, 09:36:23 AM »
But I do agree with Shawk on the removal of EW an MW arenas. Everyday when the hordes are running rampant or the Eny is kicking my arse, I will go to these 2 arenas just to see who is milking the bases and set out to stop them. These arenas usually contain no more than 10-15 players totally for all countries. I had one player one day attacking A9 from V10 pm me after killing him numerous times let him take this base and he would let me take one of his. Have seen same guy constantly up from A45 to bomb CV every time is spawned from up at P48(bet someone will reply well why didnt you go pork his ords)..but same guy constantly. I see same people and squads in these arenas taking undefended bases constantly of course once you go to defend them they give up an hit another base. 98 percent of the people dont go to these bases to fly EW or MW AC they go there to milk it. Had one known name in game accuse me of milking when I killed all 3 of his bombers trying to sink CV. only thing I like about these arenas is the kills I get from the land grabbers and milkers. I would like to see the old big maps come back. Noticed a trend between Orange and Blue usually 2 of the 3 countries balanced in numbers while the 3rd is real low kicking in an ENY of 20 or above...now you shift to the other LW and you see that 3rd country has overwhelming numbers in that arena. SO I say down with EW and MW and bring back the Big Maps.

Offline ForrestS

• Nickel Member
      • http://freewebs.com/link850
Re: OK this multi-arena crap has gotta go
« Reply #162 on: June 01, 2007, 09:36:55 AM »
Originally posted by SHawk
OK, I've been a paying customer of this game for 6+ straight years now and I think I've had just about enough of this multi-arena crap.

It's a joke and everyone here knows it. I'm sick and tired of flying with my squad and lose connect or UDP, and then re-log to find I'm capped out of the arena I just left. Being the CO just makes it worse. All my squaddies are sitting there waiting for the next run and all I can do is say sorry?

The Early and Mid war arenas are nothing but a milking tool  for lamers.
If ya don't believe me, check it out sometime. Twice this week I've been sitting in there and seen 12 or 13 kills landed in a p-40b, only to check the roster and see 2 squaddies on opposite sides. Check stats on those 2 vs each other and sure enough, vulching each other in a jeep or something.
Got film if ya wanna see it.

I think it's high time to come up with a better solution, Even 2 Latewar arenas doesn't cure the so-called "horde mentality". Go into one arena and you find mass bishops, switch to the other one and you got mass rooks ect ect ect. ENY only puts a band-aid on a gushing wound so to speak.

Watched 3 bases being captured today and not a single one of them were flashing one any of the FE's of 5 different peeps, so it's not just me.
Channel 1 functions in early and mid but not in late war, you have to switch to ch 200 there. I could go on and on.

Now I realize this post is probably gonna get nuked in the morning, which will only prove my point that the problem is being ignored instead of solved.

My suggestion is to leave this post intact and let the players submit Ideas for solutions to the problems and see if we got any geniuses out there.(really smart I am, not even sure what plural for genius is:D )  
Cause I'm sure HTC would just love to make us all happy and fix this problem.

Of course the BBS has it's own problems and I'm sure this Thread will get hi-jacked by some jerks who wanna start a pissin match against each other like every other thread in here.:mad:

SO LETS HEAR THOSE IDEAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. trolls and hijackers will be hunted on sight.:p

U R MY HERO!!!!!!!!!!!!!:O

TY TY TY TY i really hope they make it ONE arena WITH AXIS VS ALLIES. That way its not P-51 vs P51 or something retarded like that.  I REALLY HOPE WE GET THIS.  

TY TY TY TY

:D

Offline ForrestS

• Nickel Member
Re: Re: OK this multi-arena crap has gotta go
« Reply #163 on: June 01, 2007, 09:39:31 AM »
Originally posted by thndregg
Wholeheartedly agree, Shawk. I've had it happen here a lot, especially with this friggin' dial-up I'm stuck with. But, HTC's wallet is probably pretty comfortable, and so the arenas are stuck this way.

UR RIGHT WE GOTTA START BOYCOTTING IT OR SOMTHING.

Offline ForrestS

• Nickel Member
« Reply #164 on: June 01, 2007, 09:44:17 AM »
Originally posted by ROC
As much as I usually respect your views, and always respect your right to have your own view, you Don't speak for "everyone here"

The current setup doesn't affect me one bit.  I never fail to find my squad at squad night, always have Multiple Means of communicating before hand, and the ability to Adapt to whatever arena or eny condition that we are faced with.

But, then again, I wouldn't assume to speak for "everyone", just myself.

I could care less if a bunch of twits sit around and pork each other all night.  Doesn't affect what I do in the game.  Can't speak for the squad, but we rarely don't leave at the end of the night either happy with the results or frustrated with being held off in either a bomb run or a dogfight, it's all action either way.

The only "Solution" is to play your game.  There is no way you are going to come up with a way to Regulate everyones game play so it suits Your game style.  It's simply not going to happen.  For every rule that goes your way there will be countless people negatively affected.

The fact is, the game is Wide Open for anyone to do what they want.  Take a fighter, pick an arena, grab a bomber, launch a boat, whatever.  The only thing that needs to improve is peoples ability to adapt to whatever condition is in front of them.  It can't be regulated away.

No thoughts on fixing something that in my opinion isn't broken.  Anything you do to "Fix It" will change the way I enjoy the game, so what is your thought on that?  Does "My" concern and satisfaction Not Matter to your style of play?  Should I be the good boy and Support Change for Your sake at the cost of My enjoyability simply because You want it changed?  Am I being selfish if I hold onto the game as it is, but You aren't selfish for wanting a change?

See?  Difficult road, isn't it.  I get out of the game exactly what I put into it.

So, am I starting a pissin contest or offering up an opinion?  :)

Now, this has nothing to do with the FE issue of a base not flashing, that's something to be looked at if it occurred.  Simply a post that you cannot manage game play to suit some people notion of what is The Way to play the game.  It never works.  It's been tried, and it simply fails.  Bomber guns too weak?  Increase them.  Now they are too strong, reset them and the Gunners complain.  Bombing too easy?  Increase it.  Now the Bombers are complaining.  You want HT to run around and fix Every Concern but they Contradict Each Other continually, for everyone fixed you cause a new complaint.  

The solution is simple.  Don't want your troops porked?  Kill the planes going in on them.  Don't want HQ bombed? Take out the bombers.  Don't like 2 nitwits spawncamping?  Go kill them!  How much of this stuff do you want HT to really fix?  Don't like the fact that 2 squaddies are killing each other off?  Who Cares?  If they are that lame then they have bigger issues than this game.  How on Earth does that affect Your Fight?  You want THE Solution?  

Kill the Score Board.

:O u just got knocked the F'k out. :O v

Ur right but i want it AvA all the time. It works in Battleground Europe:D