Author Topic: OK this multi-arena crap has gotta go  (Read 16758 times)

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
OK this multi-arena crap has gotta go
« Reply #390 on: June 13, 2007, 08:47:57 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
Wasn't one of the hopes that squads make specific arenas their home?
Well that doesn't help either now.

I don't ever recall that being one of the points that Pyro published in the reason as to the "split arenas" ... I do however remember that being discussed by BBS posters in a thread and they were thinking that that may be an outcome of the splitting ... but nothing official from HTC.

I too recall some mention of a belief that people would find a "home" arena. I'm not interested in digging through 200 pages from last year, but I do remember that being mentioned, and I think by HT himself. Of course, the herding behavior is much stronger than the homing instinct, so it's not really relevant until they can break people of just following the crowd around (which will probably never happen).
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #391 on: June 13, 2007, 09:17:51 PM »
Originally posted by ink
to those of you who feel "its not working"

piss off
this is by far the greatest game ever made, period.

no its not perfect, but nothing is, at least not in this world.

so again  i say to you, piss off,  find a new game to ***** about.

once you leave there will be so much less whinning going on. and the ones who injoy this game can.

even if we dont like some aspects of the game{or more likely the way people play} we deal, we dont whine, or *****, we injoy it.

This is civil discussion?  You do realize that customer feedback is important in a capitalistic society, don't you?  Those of us who disagree also ENJOY the game.  We aren't whining just stating an opinion.

I have made requests on this subject to Hitech and Pyro by email/message before and received a very good reply from Pyro.  I haven't discussed the contents of that reply with anyone on the BBS or any other way because they were just a response to a suggestion.  (ATTN: NO, I am not saying I have privileged information... I certainly do NOT!)

I am saying they tweak all sorts of things all of the time and customer reaction makes a big difference. (Remember the basetaking path that appeared and disappeared?)

You can disagree with someone without being personal and nasty.
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #392 on: June 13, 2007, 09:33:35 PM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
I too recall some mention of a belief that people would find a "home" arena. I'm not interested in digging through 200 pages from last year, but I do remember that being mentioned, and I think by HT himself. Of course, the herding behavior is much stronger than the homing instinct, so it's not really relevant until they can break people of just following the crowd around (which will probably never happen).
My recollection is the same . . . and  I agree it hasn't happened, but I wouldn't attribute it entirely to a herding instinct.

LTAR tried for a time to make Midwar our squad night arena.  It was fun for the first few weeks we did it.  The thought was, if we remained there, someone would show up to oppose us.  We were wrong.  The arena became more and more empty.  Being mostly a west-coast squad, we are even now often still on in strength after overall arena numbers start to fall off as people call it a night.  When we were in MW, we would take a few bases, notice it getting WAAAY too easy, and then check the roster to find our squad outnumbered the other two countries combined.  So . . . off to LW for us.  Call that "herding" if you like, but if we didn't "herd", then you'd be calling us "milkrunners", wouldn't you.  ;)

With rolling caps and different maps, I would also suggest it is not practical to call a single LWA a "home" either.  If "blue" was to be "our" arena, what are we to do when it is squad night and the arena is at the cap with 2 squaddies in the lobby?  We could come to the boards and B-I-gripe about it, but instead we change to the other arena and get us all together.  Therefore, neither is "home."

I am not sure there is or ever will be a "good", let alone "perfect" solution to the problems people experience.  But I do believe "some of us" could do a little more to "roll with the punches" instead of constantly gripe about them.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline sgt203

• Nickel Member
« Reply #393 on: June 14, 2007, 04:10:13 AM »
If you really think about it if you feel there needs to be change it is quite  simple..

One Late War arena

Leave Early and Mid alone......

The "hording, Gangbanging, porking, base rolling" is the same as it ever was in the LW Arenas.

The only difference is the horde is now 10-15 players instead of 20 -30 players and the amount of people that up to defend is proportionally smaller.

A "slum" is a "slum" no matter the size.

Uncapturable bases is a great idea and works well..

Having said that as long as I can up a plane...:aok

storch

« Reply #394 on: June 14, 2007, 06:30:43 AM »
why not make an additional arena with no base defenses what so ever?  no ack and only one outhouse in the town.  make it so one drunk is all you need for a capture.  the tooltardlings will go there and leave the real game to others.

just think the S.O.A.R.s and the hired guns will vacate the mid and early and they can all be #11111111, well if the BoPs allow them to as their numbers will swell to 100 32 tards squads.

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #395 on: June 14, 2007, 09:50:47 AM »
What you guys are referring to is probably this:

Hitech discusses squads homing

It must have been before caps went in, since as it is now it would be impossible.

Edit -> PS Lots of good insights in the thread linked above as to why things are the way they are - good for those of us who are fairly new to AH.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 10:17:37 AM by Ghastly »
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline kennyhayes

• Nickel Member
« Reply #396 on: June 14, 2007, 12:17:17 PM »
i like just 1 HUGE AREAN

Offline kennyhayes

• Nickel Member
« Reply #397 on: June 14, 2007, 12:17:17 PM »
i like just 1 HUGE AREAN

Offline Hammy

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.leedsstarafc.co.uk
« Reply #398 on: June 14, 2007, 01:42:37 PM »
Nope, nothing has changed sigh!

:rolleyes:

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #399 on: June 14, 2007, 03:40:36 PM »
Originally posted by storch
why not make an additional arena with no base defenses what so ever?  no ack and only one outhouse in the town.  make it so one drunk is all you need for a capture.  the tooltardlings will go there and leave the real game to others.

just think the S.O.A.R.s and the hired guns will vacate the mid and early and they can all be #11111111, well if the BoPs allow them to as their numbers will swell to 100 32 tards squads.

Your avatar looks sick, is spreding bird flu virus on BB, bring back "Larry King monkey" represents you better

storch

« Reply #400 on: June 14, 2007, 09:03:31 PM »
Originally posted by ghi
Your avatar looks sick, is spreding bird flu virus on BB, bring back "Larry King monkey" represents you better
really? well I believe your avatar represents you perfectly.

Offline ASP4422

• Zinc Member
« Reply #401 on: June 14, 2007, 11:16:17 PM »
Ok, here's my 2cents -
There are several good suggestions going around to make the whole game better - but the most important thing is to remember its just a game.  Too many people are thin skinned about what other players say or do.
As paying customers - we as group should help HTC to come up with better ways of solving problems or making the game better.  
Multi-arena setup - My first impression was that this setup was to allow players from all over the world, find a fight, according to their time zone.  Now I see, EW, is just an arena for people to boost their rank and perks with out much of a fight.  I think that HTC should just eliminate EW all together.  Either play in the arena available or don't.

Rank - Everyone seems to believe that rank defines a player - NOT.  Of course we do have a group of players who are just great players and deserve respect in the air or ground.  Its just the nature of the game.  Their is always someone out there better than you.  I don't care about rank, I fly/gv the way I do, to have fun.  Still keep the stats - kill/death etc.. but get rid of rank.

Hoards / Ho's whatever - Players are going to fight the way they want to anyway.  Every player has the option to engage/turn/run.  There is no way to govern this, and I don't think it should.  War is a fight that is never fair, someone always has an advantage.

ENY - CRAP! Simple as that.  Get rid of it.  Why give one side an advantage when they couldn't get the job done the first time.  BooHoo - your country dosen't have the same amount of players.  Call a friend to fly then.

Arena Caps - again CRAP!  Get rid of it also.  Why is HTC limiting players from a certain arena.  We all pay to play, so we should be able to pick the arena.

I have been killed by noobs,dweebs, and seasoned vets.  I have also done the same back.  I have not been around as long as some players, but I can honestly say that I enjoy everyone I encounter. Everyone:aok

Offline Castedo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #402 on: June 15, 2007, 04:58:40 PM »
I salute you ASP, I agree with you!

Offline DadRabit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #403 on: June 15, 2007, 06:19:39 PM »
S!

gotta disagree with the rank part hawk.  imhho, i think it adds alot to the game.  its hard flying the same old maps day after day and being locked out of other arenas.  i enjoy trying to see how low i can get my rank.  (wish i was better at fighters).  rank seems to be one of the aspects in here i enjoy at trying to beat.  just my 2 cents

S!
David (Daddy Rabbit) Jester
S! 68KO
S! A8WB
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #404 on: June 15, 2007, 06:48:10 PM »
Originally posted by DadRabit
S!

gotta disagree with the rank part hawk.  imhho, i think it adds alot to the game.  its hard flying the same old maps day after day and being locked out of other arenas.  i enjoy trying to see how low i can get my rank.  (wish i was better at fighters).  rank seems to be one of the aspects in here i enjoy at trying to beat.  just my 2 cents

S!

Competing with milkrunners for rank is a waste of time.  Unless you're a milkrunner youself :lol

Pure squad commrodery is what keeps me in this game.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either