Author Topic: Duke  (Read 1961 times)

Offline KONG1

• Silver Member
Duke
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2007, 10:31:56 AM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
There is an unspoken, but increasingly strong sentiment among the staff that our patience for this has become very limited.  Very limited.  We've had too many people tell us, publicly and privately, over a span of YEARS, that they avoid the AvA because of this kind of bickering, which assumes a disproportionate prominence because our numbers are comparatively so small.  It is easy to sympathize with these people.  It is not easy to sympathize with people who are being disruptive.

(1)As CMs you should setup the arena and moderate according to some well defined set of parameters. Your "patience" should be irrelevant and your "sympathies" kept to yourselves. I believe the philosophical concept I'm trying to express is called "rule of law". We don't need "rule of how I'm feeling right now".

(2)The AvA has the tamest text buffer in the game. The reasons people give are often(scratch that - usually) not the real reasons. Don't be so gullible as to believe that tripe. An analysis of the real reasons would make for a very long post and potentially interesting thread.
“It’s good to be King” - Mel Brooks

storch

Duke
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2007, 10:46:32 AM »
I'm willing to go there.  the reason is that the only squad that ever beat us in the AvA were the blue knights .  even then we almost gave as good as we got.  the really excellent players were morph, stang and leviathn.  the rest were easily had.  IIRC the numbers were pretty even.

some of the others just could not and cannot compete with four JG54 players flying historically in our preferred rides.

they get whacked and their frail egos do not allow them to return.

Offline KONG1

• Silver Member
Duke
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2007, 11:06:53 AM »
I encourage everyone to please just stuff a sock in it.  You're going to find people who hover above the fight, dive to take the pick or the HO, run to ack, run to friends, and do other things that you might justly consider to be unsportsmanlike.  When this happens, yell at your dog, or at your pet hamster, whatever works, but please keep it to yourself.

I could tell you to stuff a panty hose in it but that would be stooping.

You are not the dictator of culture. The culture of any group is defined by how the group reacts to particular behaviors not by edict.

Example: No rule against vulching in the AvA, it rarely happens because players get called out for it and publicly derided by both sides. If most players wanted vulching then the complainers would be derided and vulching would be the norm.

To not discourage is to encourage. If dweeby behavior is not discouraged dweebs will stay, more dweebs will come, soon we would have more players but a MA culture. Hey, if it happens it happens but we don't need to consent by silence.

I don't expect a bunch of players who will up in any plane, against any odds, with various disadvantages and charge into the fight get shot down and charge right back in to be touchy-feelly, but rather determined competitors. If someone is so emotionally and mentally weak as to be upset by text (that can be turned off) they probably won't be much fun to fight against anyway.
“It’s good to be King” - Mel Brooks

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Duke
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2007, 04:08:52 PM »
Originally posted by storch
no 1Duke1 is just that way.  he will consistently mute members of JG54 regardless of who may start and how many participants are active in a purse fight.

TK just kill him a few times and he whines then logs off.

I think the default setting for any JG54 member should be muted and fighters not available :D
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Duke
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2007, 04:17:56 PM »

some of the others just could not and cannot compete with four JG54 players flying historically in our preferred rides.

Well, avoiding 4 HOers at the same time can be kind of hard budy.  However, lets try it.  You pick 4 of your best and I will pick me, we go to the DA and see what happens hehehe :lol
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Duke
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2007, 06:15:02 PM »
I'm willing to go there.  the reason is that the only squad that ever beat us in the AvA were the blue knights .  even then we almost gave as good as we got.  the really excellent players were morph, stang and leviathn.  the rest were easily had.  IIRC the numbers were pretty even.

:rofl

You need some Ginkgo, you have a poor memory.

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
Duke
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2007, 08:35:31 PM »
OM 200 is a tunable channel. If you dont like what your reading untune from it. Thats what its there for. If a CMs patience limited thats thier problem, and souldnt be taken out on others. Bug and I were bickering on 200, we wernt talking about each others moms, cursing, being racial, we where bickering nothing more nothing less. If we were geting on your nerves thats what squelch and untuning from 200 is for. Nothing I said was worth being muted over be it for 10mins or an hour.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grnherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Duke
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2007, 09:35:07 PM »
Originally posted by Larry
OM 200 is a tunable channel. If you dont like what your reading untune from it. Thats what its there for. If a CMs patience limited thats thier problem, and souldnt be taken out on others. Bug and I were bickering on 200, we wernt talking about each others moms, cursing, being racial, we where bickering nothing more nothing less. If we were geting on your nerves thats what squelch and untuning from 200 is for. Nothing I said was worth being muted over be it for 10mins or an hour.

Actually, this doesn't work in this arena TK.  We don't have Channel One, so 200 is the common channel.  We can change that, as you know.

If we changed it, do you suppose that you and others would carry out your diatribes on something other than Channel One?

- oldman

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Duke
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2007, 09:47:12 PM »
Originally posted by KONG1
I could tell you to stuff a panty hose in it but that would be stooping.

I'm waiting to see if anyone else has an opinion on this topic, Kong.  It is possible that more people agree with you than agree with me.

In the meantime, the "rule of law" argument doesn't carry far with me.   We're all old enough to know what constitutes bullying or taunting.  Most of us are old enough to recognize that a competitive spirit doesn't require the yell-at-the-dark taunting to stay competitive - at least, I think that's so.  I see people trying it every day in real life; it works on the weak, and no one else.  Some of the very best pilots in this game are positively mild-mannered - Lev and Soulyss come immediately to mind.  I think it would be unwise to try to define "taunting" or "rudeness" beyond their well-known meanings.  I also suspect that, if we did this, there is a group of people which would do everything possible to push that line.  I still don't understand why, but I believe that it's true.

I don't want the MA replicated in AvA any more than you do, but I don't think that the solution is to tolerate nastiness in hopes that you can drive away the people who don't suit your own tastes.

- oldman

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
Duke
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2007, 09:57:52 PM »
Actually, this doesn't work in this arena TK.  We don't have Channel One, so 200 is the common channel.  We can change that, as you know.

If we changed it, do you suppose that you and others would carry out your diatribes on something other than Channel One?

I always use ch. 200. Even some weeks when ch. 1 is enabled I use it. If we said what we did on ch. 1 I could see muting us but not on a channel that you choose to tune to. That is why HT made it if you dont like whats being said on it you dont have to stay on it. Same is true with the MA.

I don't want the MA replicated in AvA any more than you do, but I don't think that the solution is to tolerate nastiness in hopes that you can drive away the people who don't suit your own tastes.  

Wow that sounds JUST like bug. All he does is try to piss people off trying to make them leave AvA. Calling them "trash that needs to be swept out." When in fact hes the one that needs to be "swept out".
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 10:03:42 PM by Larry »
JG 54 "Grnherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Duke
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2007, 10:04:33 PM »
I'm waiting to see if anyone else has an opinion on this topic, Kong.  It is possible that more people agree with you than agree with me.

I find that highly unlikely.

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
Duke
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2007, 10:52:13 PM »
Do you even play anymore?
JG 54 "Grnherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Duke
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2007, 11:16:11 PM »
Nope, and its things like this that convince me not to come back every time I forget why I lost interest.

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
Duke
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2007, 11:27:32 PM »
Then why are you still here?
JG 54 "Grnherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline plank

• Nickel Member
Duke
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2007, 11:39:50 PM »