Author Topic: PLEASE buy a generator!  (Read 2834 times)

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2007, 08:13:53 PM »
Originally posted by 2bighorn
Properly installed transfer switch does not allow back-feed. In most of the places that's regulated with building/electric code, requires permit and is properly inspected before taken into operation. The code usually specifies that transfer switch has to be of the same size as building service (same amps) and total load of connected circuits cannot exceed the total load generator is capable of, therefore there's no overloads.
That applies for most backup and alternate power sources including solar systems.

In some states you get paid for any excess power back-feed into the grid (usually solar power systems). Utilities are aware of those and are taken off the grid if necessary during maintenance work.  

Few months ago I got installed 16KW standby aircooled natural gas powered generator (200 amps transfer switch) for less than 6K (hardware+installation+permits).

If home owner can do it, so can any company which core business depends on uptime.

2 words: Power diodes

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2007, 08:39:07 PM »
i down loaded IL2 and for the first time i found out how truly diffacult it was for the true ww2 vets {well sorta}
 no icons: i was killed still trying to spot the nme

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2007, 08:44:42 PM »
Originally posted by ink
i down loaded IL2 and for the first time i found out how truly diffacult it was for the true ww2 vets {well sorta}
 no icons: i was killed still trying to spot the nme

A monitor is a poor substitute for the human eye.

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Anyone

• Copper Member
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2007, 02:35:16 AM »
Originally posted by storch
let me take this opportunity to remind you that each and every one of those cities/regions you ridicule for their location was located in their settings by a european.

me?

i didn't say it a comedian did...:rolleyes:

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2007, 05:55:30 AM »
Originally posted by 2bighorn
Properly installed transfer switch does not allow back-feed. In most of the places that's regulated with building/electric code, requires permit and is properly inspected before taken into operation. The code usually specifies that transfer switch has to be of the same size as building service (same amps) and total load of connected circuits cannot exceed the total load generator is capable of, therefore there's no overloads.
That applies for most backup and alternate power sources including solar systems.

In some states you get paid for any excess power back-feed into the grid (usually solar power systems). Utilities are aware of those and are taken off the grid if necessary during maintenance work.  

Few months ago I got installed 16KW standby aircooled natural gas powered generator (200 amps transfer switch) for less than 6K (hardware+installation+permits).

If home owner can do it, so can any company which core business depends on uptime.
Correct a properly installed transfer switch does not backfeed. But, if a homeowner just hooks a small generator to the panel without a transfer switch and does not remove the system from the grid is where a problem could occurr.

And since HTC does not own the property they are handcuffed by the owner and the city.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 06:05:31 AM by NHawk »
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.