Author Topic: PLEASE buy a generator!  (Read 2836 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2007, 02:32:08 PM »
As pointed out, doesn't matter if HTC had a generator, their ISP might not. Any number of the 18 hops from MY ip to HTCs ip could not have a generator. Say the last 8 are near HTC. HTC's might be up and running, but none of the others. Or perhaps 2 of them have generators. Or 5. Or 6. Only takes 1 region to be without power for all hubs, switches, computers, relays, and what-not to go down.

I agree: It happens. Deal with it.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2007, 02:54:12 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
As pointed out, doesn't matter if HTC had a generator, their ISP might not. Any number of the 18 hops from MY ip to HTCs ip could not have a generator. Say the last 8 are near HTC. HTC's might be up and running, but none of the others. Or perhaps 2 of them have generators. Or 5. Or 6. Only takes 1 region to be without power for all hubs, switches, computers, relays, and what-not to go down.

I agree: It happens. Deal with it.

HTC uses ATT&T IIRC.  ATT friggin' BETTER have backup power supplies.  One would think.

I started this thread more tongue 'n cheek than anything.  I might say that putting the BBS on a server not in Dallas might be a good call.  A "just in case" type thing.  If I can't fly, at least I can whine about it.  Errrrr.... Hmmmm...  Maybe that is WHY the BBS is not in  seperat location come to think 'bout it.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2007, 02:58:28 PM »
I didn't know it was a power outage at the time. I did a traceroute using PingTrace and all the ATT routers were down. I thought AT&T was taking a dump on us.

Apparently, they don't have backup power either! :P

EDIT: typo
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 03:07:36 PM by Krusty »

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2007, 02:58:41 PM »
Originally posted by WMLute
HTC uses ATT&T IIRC.  ATT friggin' BETTER have backup power supplies.  One would think.

I started this thread more tongue 'n cheek than anything.  I might say that putting the BBS on a server not in Dallas might be a good call.  A "just in case" type thing.  If I can't fly, at least I can whine about it.  Errrrr.... Hmmmm...  Maybe that is WHY the BBS is not in  seperat location come to think 'bout it.

What I know of copper data stuff (depending on the SLA), usually the telco providing the local loop will have some sort of battery backup to power the smartjacks from the local station. However, I don't know if they are designed to hold up for 8 hours.  The T-1s I've dealt with in local outage scenarios usually held out for a couple of hours, no more.

Everything on your side of the smartjack is your responsibility.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2007, 03:32:32 PM »
If the power goes out in your house or office, the phones still get the power they need through the phone line.

At the phone company office there is an extensive battery system, as well as a backup generator, to supply power during a power failure. If the power goes out, the batteries and generators keep the office fully powered. Therefore, all of your phones are fully powered as well.

I don't know of any phone company still running on batteries alone. But, that doesn't mean there aren't any. :)
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2007, 03:34:21 PM »
Originally posted by WMLute
...I started this thread more tongue 'n cheek than anything....
And see the trouble you caused! ;)
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline SIM

• Nickel Member
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2007, 05:20:50 PM »
NHawk,
 You designed transfer panels......Wow guess that makes you and expert on something. Well its something........
 What you dont know is what happens during an power outage, on any level beyond sitting on your butt in front of a cozy warm gas fire....

Now, granted, phone companies have backup generators at their major locations. But answer this for me, why do they have power hookups on junction buildings on the circuits? Hmmmm, think they have enough trucks with generators to hit each and everyone of them? Simple answer is this.....NO!
 What they do is make sure the lines to hospitals/fire departments/police stations and other critical services are on for the emergency. If your lucky to be on one of those circuits I can see where your phone hasnt gone out during a storm. Otherwise, your wrong. You might have an opinion, but so does so many others..........

Basically NHawk, your talking out your arse hoping someone is impressed.

And yeah I did go there, Im damned proud of what I do and what I know and youve stepped into my game. Do the job or something along those lines sometime then come back and show what you think you know. Otherwise stay in front of your cozy fire and shut up! You remind me of all the idiots who scream when we want to trim their trees off the lines, and then scream when their power goes out because of the limbs they didnt want cut!

Skuzzy hit the nail on the head with his post regarding a generator. Their situation alone makes getting a generator a pain in the butt.

Generators are very handy overall, but folks I ask everyone who reads this and owns a generator: If your power goes out and the generators running, keep an eye out for those folks working on the power lines. Many so called electricians dont wire the generators into the breaker panel as they should and this allows electricity to backfeed over the service lines from your home. What your doing then is setting a trap for whoever is working on the lines. Im not asking or preaching against generators, but I am asking you to be aware of those folks working on your street and such. If you see them, let them know you have a generator running. You just might keep someone from getting hurt.

Offline MotleyCH

• Nickel Member
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2007, 06:20:21 PM »
If they have digital phone service, they would need power to it, along with the internet lines. It would be easy to hook up and roll a generator outside temporarily ...and I doubt the other tenants would complain during an outage.

I talked my old boss into using it for his phone and T1 lines for his Limousine business years ago.

I know most outages last just a few hours..but we got hit with a storm last year, that knocked power out for 1-5 days in this area. It saved him lots of money, and he acquired more business than usual because he had a backup.

The cost was $600 for the generator and change for four extension chords.

Offline SIM

• Nickel Member
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2007, 06:56:21 PM »
Once again NHawk......

I read your note. No you didnt disrespect my profession. You basically showed YOUR ignorance then and have done so with your latest post. As before, do my job, then feel free to spout off about what you THINK you know.

Find your IDs, like I said, maybe, just maybe you'll find someone whos impressed. Not here, theres better things to be impressed with than egos.

Oh, BTW, your appraisal of what happens when a generator is not hooked up right, well I wouldnt work a line with your knowledge in any way. I like being in the land of the living. People like you get killed on my job.

Enough for me......

Offline ForrestS

• Nickel Member
      • http://freewebs.com/link850
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2007, 07:08:06 PM »
Dude i got hit by that storm. I slept through it tho. Theres been small storms building up all day today.

Heres the radar

U can c Gainsville.

I live in Denton County.

Offline ForrestS

• Nickel Member
      • http://freewebs.com/link850
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2007, 07:11:13 PM »
BTW i just looked outside and its getting darker.  :eek:

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2007, 12:45:02 AM »
I bet this thread gets hits now lol
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline parin

• Copper Member
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2007, 12:53:15 AM »
hold me TAFY!
Wgr 21 works great!

Quick Jam from SkyRock...

Offline Anyone

• Copper Member
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2007, 02:59:33 AM »
Originally posted by ROC

Come on people, it was a power outage for crying out loud, they happen

:rofl

last time i had a power outage was probably 2002.... so maybe america needs to sort its power lines out?

;)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 03:01:55 AM by Anyone »

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2007, 05:42:30 AM »
It was offline again last night, wasn't it.