Author Topic: PLEASE buy a generator!  (Read 2837 times)

Offline Platano

• Silver Member
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2007, 05:53:38 AM »
Originally posted by Larry
Wasnt there a huge power outage for on the east coast for like a week a few years back. A week w/o AH, I think alot of people will have mental breakdowns.

No TK it was only for like the whole afternoon and it returned by midnight...
Army of Muppets

Fly Luftwaffe.

Offline Wes14

• Gold Member
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2007, 05:56:50 AM »
:confused: i thought it was because someone was tripping over the server cord :noid
Warning! The above post may induce: nausea, confusion, headaches, explosive diarrhea, anger, vomiting, and whining. Also this post may not make any sense, or may lead to the hijack of the thread.

-Regards,
Wes14

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2007, 06:02:07 AM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
You cannot just slap in a generator into a commercial property.  There are zoning restrictions which have to be met (a concrete slab is required, along with a fenced area to hide it, just for starters) and we do not own the building.  Just FYI.

The weather has been unusually active this last week.  We usually get hit with this once a year.  Looks like we have a couple more days to weather before returning to the normal Texas weather patterns.

Well then....

Offline Wes14

• Gold Member
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2007, 06:05:26 AM »
:rofl
Warning! The above post may induce: nausea, confusion, headaches, explosive diarrhea, anger, vomiting, and whining. Also this post may not make any sense, or may lead to the hijack of the thread.

-Regards,
Wes14

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2007, 06:38:09 AM »
Originally posted by Platano
HTC should move to NYC :D :aok :D

Then this sorta thing wouldnt happen :D

New York City!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????????

Get a rope.

:D
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2007, 06:40:22 AM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
before returning to the normal Texas weather patterns.

:aok

Only us Texans will understand the evilness and hidden humor with this statement. :rofl
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline SIM

• Nickel Member
After so many years in the business
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2007, 07:03:04 AM »
It still amazes me how people think a generator will fix storm related outages.
Natural gas for the generator, pumped with what? uh...e-l-e-c-t-r-i-c-i-t-y? A tank would not be the perfect answer because of the amount of fuel needed to keep the system running.

A backup phone system? Hmmm...there it is again....e-l-e-c-t-r-i-c-i-t-y! How long will your energizers last before they have to be changed?

Realize something folks, if your power goes off it is safe to assume that:
A: Your computer is off.
B: Your cable connection is dead(amplifiers have limited battery backup)
C: Your telephone is or will shortly be dead(junction points have limited battery backup)
D: Gas systems cant pump gas if there is no electricity..i.e.pumping stations use ELECTRIC pumps

If all of that happens, take a moment and be thankful that the power companies have folks out working in the storm to restore power. It could be a lot like the phone companies who are generally given 24-48 hours by state legislatures to make repairs.

I know there are other electric workers on this site, ask them. If HTC was down 7 hours due to a storm, so be it, a fishing I will go!

Offline cleve

• Zinc Member
Re: After so many years in the business
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2007, 07:07:23 AM »
Originally posted by SIM
Natural gas for the generator, pumped with what? uh...e-l-e-c-t-r-i-c-i-t-y? A tank would not be the perfect answer because of the amount of fuel needed to keep the system running.

A backup phone system? Hmmm...there it is again....e-l-e-c-t-r-i-c-i-t-y! How long will your energizers last before they have to be changed?

C: Your telephone is or will shortly be dead(junction points have limited battery backup)
D: Gas systems cant pump gas if there is no electricity..i.e.pumping stations use ELECTRIC pumps

If all of that happens, take a moment and be thankful that the power companies have folks out working in the storm to restore power. It could be a lot like the phone companies who are generally given 24-48 hours by state legislatures to make repairs.

I know there are other electric workers on this site, ask them. If HTC was down 7 hours due to a storm, so be it, a fishing I will go!

I spent the afternoon workin on a couple of airplane models, defragged the HD, did some laundry, TS Barry was passing through so any outdoor stuff was out. Watched Flying Leathernecks...all in all a great afternoon.

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2007, 07:27:19 AM »
Originally posted by NHawk
Then the only thing that would bring the system down is if the telephone lines went down or the gas line ruptured.

Hurrrrr???

Offline McDeath

• Nickel Member
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2007, 12:09:11 PM »

Unlike upstate SC, we do not use tanks for natural gas, works just fine when the powers out. The other issues skuzzy mentioned would be the problem.

Telephones have always worked when the powers out too, unless you have a cordless phone with a base station that needs power.
flying as                     
Voudou  III/JG11 BOG
71Sqn./USMC
When we are done with you, you are going to wish your Daddy pulled out early!
"Then throw caution to the wind, buy a one way ticket to furball city and pop

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2007, 12:37:58 PM »
lmao  what do Telephone Lines have to do with the Power Needed to supply the Server, the Router, the Hubs, Answering Machines?  When your power goes out, and your phone works, can YOU get online?

Nhawk, your solution works, if Every Link in the network chain had a backup generator.  They don't.  Even if HT did, and the next link in their chain was down as well, they are stuffed.  

Come on people, it was a power outage for crying out loud, they happen

:rofl
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Re: After so many years in the business
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2007, 12:56:54 PM »
Originally posted by SIM

Sim, I don't know where you live but when electricity goes out here phone works no matter how long the power is out and so does natural gas.

When power went out last winter I was cozy warm with a natural gas fireplace.

One of my first jobs was designing transfer panels that automatically switch to generator power when the main power goes down. And those systems are still used today by data centers, hospitals, police stations, phone companies, homes and thousands of other places.

Now if you are talking about a nation wide power outage, that could be a problem. But for a local power outage, it was a legitimate suggestion except for the reasons Skuzzy stated. Do some research next time.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 01:02:01 PM by NHawk »
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2007, 01:30:57 PM »
Do some research next time.

hehe SIM probably made that post from his laptop, while out restoring power, which is what he does for the power company.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline betty

• Gold Member
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2007, 01:35:29 PM »
Originally posted by Platano
The withdrawal was harsh for me..How long did it last like couple of hours?

I didnt know what to do....

Found myself pacing back n forth with visions of a 109 disenigrating a spitfire 200 in front of it....

Had to sit down, relax, and pick up a book...:(

u know how to read? hehe
~~~The Killuminati~~~                                                     

!!!!!POTIUS MORI QUAM FOEDARI!!!!

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
PLEASE buy a generator!
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2007, 01:48:17 PM »
Originally posted by ROC
hehe SIM probably made that post from his laptop, while out restoring power, which is what he does for the power company.
I won't even go there. :rofl
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.