Author Topic: Knight Rook or Bish  (Read 8992 times)

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
Knight Rook or Bish
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2007, 11:18:29 AM »
Originally posted by LYNX
ROOKS
Can be co-ordinated but won't miss out on a furball.  Strategy is lacking but captures are not.  Many good sticks and the best admiral in the game :D

I've found a strategy which seems to work well. Just tell them on channel that the field you are attacking is capped and the vulch is on.

:lol

Still haven't figured out a way to get them to come for base defense other than telling them there is a furball at that base.

BTW I dunno why everyone always says Rooks are alt moneys.. I've always thought the Knights were the monkeys up high.
"strafing"

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
Knight Rook or Bish
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2007, 11:29:59 AM »
Originally posted by Lusche
Here comes some hard data:

Tour 88 (the last month):

All models have 245047 Kills of Knights.
All models have 227246 Deaths by Knights

Knight K/D 0.93

All models have 259590 Kills of Bishops
All models have 229410 Deaths by Bishops

Bishop K/D 0.88

All models have 224253 Kills of Rooks
All models have 272234 Deaths by Rooks

Rook K/D 1.21

The interpretation is up to you ;)

Rooks would probably have 1.5 kill/death ratio if it wasn't for me..  :D

I always get ticked off of that 50 other Rooks jump in on the kill I was after. So to solve that problem, I always go look for the biggest glob of red I can find and dive in. Hence I normally never land with my wings attached.
"strafing"

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
Knight Perspective
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2007, 11:37:24 AM »
Well Here Comes The Bashing.

Im a knight, as a matter of fact yarbles your in my squad. I wish you would bring this up in our forums, but hey.

Well for starters just plain suck at team work. I think everyone on the knights, are out for fun. Theres some serious squad action when it can be had, but for the most part were just all doing our thing, and screw our fellow country man.
People pizz and moan how this base gets captured, and theres no defense, and this that and the other. Frankly Ive stopped caring. For now. i have too much going on in my personal life.

Heres what needs to happen. Troops need to be destroyed at surrounding bases. Hasnt happened. Probable with the advent of the new ack, people just dont go and pork troops or ords, I refuse to order any of my squaddies to do this, even though I know it must be done. Why, because it sucks, and its thankless.

Base taking, havent seen too many good ones, unless were coordinating it.
Period.
Then its really if we have the pilots to fit the billot. WHich is why I posted in our forums, on how we should approach this. Because getting outside help as of late just, well sucks. Support for Missions has dwindled. Sorry folks, but unless I have 12 squaddies on, Im not posting public missions. Mostly from the standpoint, I get alot of newbs, who I dont mind helping, but its tiresome. I dont have the patience anymore to explain how to bomb, especially when Im counting on you to hit your target. The sand box is over there. If it seems I take this game seriously, I do. Very much so, I hate losing. I also wouldnt have started a sqaud with the name Precision if I wasnt a perfectionist.  :p

So for the most part, when people are furballing the bases away. I will be right there with you. My ACM is getting better as a result.

Cheers
FLOATSUP

ps, I havent seen the other side, took one tour, for a month long ago, so havent a clue as to how the other sides are. Other then crunchy when heated.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 11:40:10 AM by 4deck »
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Re: Knight Perspective
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2007, 12:09:55 PM »
Originally posted by 4deck

Well for starters just plain suck at team work. I think everyone on the knights, are out for fun.

You sir have figured out what the problem is with this game and the comunity in general.  Unfortunatly, there is no solution to our problem.  People will keep trying to have fun and not do what we tell them to.  They refuse to drop what they are doing and follow our orders or play our way.  Thats just sick and I think it shows the state of our county or even the world.

This behavior is redicilus.  Unfortunatly, the only solution to our problem can only come from the game creators themselfs.  Therefore, I propose that the following functionality be added to the system:

.Report Fun .  If a player is reported of having fun, he should get a writen warning.  Ofcorse, consistent abouse of the game in the name of fun should result in the player being baned.  

Sir
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
Knight Rook or Bish
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2007, 12:16:07 PM »
Now thats some funny ch!t Dedalos:aok
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Knight Rook or Bish
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2007, 12:34:34 PM »
Originally posted by 4deck
Now thats some funny ch!t Dedalos:aok

Comon now.  The proper reaction would be to get all pissedoff and tell me to get some manners lol. :lol

Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Knight Rook or Bish
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2007, 12:36:57 PM »
I have to say I have only been a knight and only been in one squadron (precision) but within Knights precision and 68 seem to be the only squadrons who actually fight as a squadron and when they do I think it is great fun to act as part of a team and work together. An endless round of duels and free for alls to me is diverting but a bit limited in the brain depertment. There doesnt seem to be allot of strategic or analytic thought involved in furballing and there is no satisfaction for me in going it alone in a bomber or GV with no greater purpose.

I understand for some that the bases and the war etc are irrelevant in there minds but I think without them the game would dissapear in a very short time.
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline Laurie

• Nickel Member
Knight Rook or Bish
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2007, 12:43:22 PM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
I would use the word unwilling rather than unable, but most knits seem to have the ADHD syndrome... myself included :D

more like the K/D syndrome :)

Offline Laurie

• Nickel Member
Knight Rook or Bish
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2007, 12:49:58 PM »
I have flown bish the most. Istarted off as a rook but found they were a bit... dull. I then went to bish for a week, made some good aquantinces and i then went nit for three days; they caused me to sortern my proposed week there as i was leaving out of despair.

So here's my take

Rooks; Some very 'cunning' players and a some of the very best sticks. But i find rooks tend to have had in the past the most devious ;) players. i have to give a BIG 11/10 for their porking, even if it is very annoying.

Bishops; Bish have a huge range of skill and charecters. I have found they have the most fun and laughs too. We have some of the very best squads and some of the squeakiest noobs. Bish mix strategy and pi$$ing about.

Knights; the nits tend to be fair game. They're very average in many aspects. They have not too many bad players, but not too many great ones. They lack strategy but will always put up a fair fight.

:noid

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
Re: Knight Rook or Bish
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2007, 12:54:38 PM »
Originally posted by Yarbles
I have been on AH for around 6 months now and have always been a Knight. I dont know why bit it seems disloyal to consider being anything else despite the fact that from the inside the knights seem least co ordinated and most inept of the three.

Can anyone explain why they are a Knight rook or bish and what characterises each of the three?

Actually, you seem to be getting some good opinions to this thread.
Since the MA broke into the EW, MW, and two LW arenas; the earlier differences I noticed between the Chess piece countries has sort of merged.  You find good, bad, ugly, and hordes among all three at times, among the two LW arenas, and a bit of milkrunning in EW and MW.  

I flew Rooks and LCA for my first year (almost 1-1/2 years) in the game.  Since the MA break up, and my taking a few breaks from the game, I've pretty much gone into a mode where I choose the least populated country to fly in in one of the LW's.  I will try to fight against the "horde".  If ENY really kicks in for the horde, it means I get to fly my higher ENY planes against rides other than the ever-present Pony-D's, La-7's, Splixteens, Nikis, and C-hogs.  If on low pop country and ENY kicks in, it means very cheap Me262's, if I feel like a jet.

If there is a very high amount of squeakers on the low pop chess piece country, and I don't feel like pushing the limits of squelch, I will move to second most populated country.  
If I see an interesting, or well created mission, I'll jump in.  I find myself flying fighters in field defense a lot, or attack planes against GV's.  (I used to fly heavy bombers a lot, but not much since MA break up and smaller maps became the norm).  If a squad is putting together a series of missions, and they are proving to be a good and friendly time, I'll fly along for a night.  

I fly RONIN.  No loyalty to cartoon chess pieces.

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
Knight Rook or Bish
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2007, 01:06:43 PM »
Seem to be grains of truth throughout this thread.  All sides have more in common than not, but as Zazen points out, "birds of a feather" will tend to one country or another, and thus you can say each has a personality.

The "Rookunaut" tends to be a theme, so you can say generally a higher proportion of alt-monkeys play rook.  All countries have them, but proportionally more are in Rookland.  One could also argue this is flying "smart", or at the very least trying to gain advantage, which probably helps explain their better K/D ratio.  It also seems most (although certainly not all) of the players who are known rank-chasers are on Rook, so again, flying at an advantage/smart/timid/whatever term people want to use is more common there.

The Nit "Furballer," unconcerned about the land game, but only about the fight and occasional vulch-fest also rings true.  They tend to fight when it is relatively even or when they are at an advantage, but get bored and move on if they find themselves at a heavy disadvantage.  Any type of coordinated assault they actually begin will melt away if seriously opposed.

The Bish "Landgrabber" also seems true.  Zazan's amusing (if somewhat insulting) way of expressing it aside, what he says is largely true.  Proportionally more Bish are willing to do what it takes to either move the front forward, or prevent the opposition from advancing (i.e. porking runs even post uber-ack are still common).  This helps explain their poor K/D ratio as often attacks will continue well beyond the point of prudence, defenses continue even after the field is under vulch, and deaths to unmanned field ack are likely much more common than in the other countries.

I think these differences are quite wonderful.  It helps show the great variety of ways there are to "have fun" depending on what you are looking for, and once you decide what you want, there is a "home" for you.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Knight Rook or Bish
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2007, 01:19:55 PM »
I generally have to check which country I'm flying for when I log in as the standard practice of my 80th Headhunters is to go to the low numbers side.

This is our way of helping provide more targets for the horde :)

As near as i can tell, folks are the same in all countries and consist of the following:

GeNerALz-these are the folks who are determined to "win the war" even though we really don't win anything other then a do over.  That's all good though as that's why they play.  Their favorite sentence on country channel is "I killed the fighter hangers!"

Furballers-These are the guys looking to brawl with other planes.  They don't tend to fly very high because they figure they'll be turning and burning on the deck soon anyway.  They could care less about winning the war, but will be found around big fights at different bases which indirectly can help the GeNerALz by keeping the air cover busy at a base they are trying to take.    The most hated sentence on country channel for them is "I killed the fighter hangers!"

Pickers.  These guys generally hide in, around and above furballers.  These are the guys who hang up high and wait til someone else is engaged.  They tend to come screaming in from on high and nail bad guys who aren't fighting them.  I generally see these guys landing the biggest kill runs.

The Horde-This is a mix and match of player types who haven't found the confidence to go into a fight without a crowd around them and use the mob to increase their odds of not getting shot at.  They still see dying as real and are in the process of figuring out which of the other types of players they want to be like.  The GeNerALz can count on this bunch to react to their orders the quickest.  Suicide buff pilots, LA7 and Spit 16 drivers etc can be found in this crowd for the most part.

Vulchers-This is a subgroup of the horde.  These guys are desperate to get their name in lights with 25 kills next to their name when they land.  The quickest and least dangerous way to do this is to shoot planes that haven't taken off yet.  The quest for the "attaboy" is their greatest goal, although they'll try and cover this by saying they are just capping the base.

Spawn-campers-This is the ground vehicle version of the vulcher.  Again the goal is to get 140 kills in their Tiger by shooting vehicles that just upped.  No risk to em but that 'attaboy' sure feels good to them.

Milk runners-This bunch avoids the fight at all costs and can be found in buffs racking up the points by hitting undefended targets.

GV'ers-These guys are of the belief that if man was meant to fly he'd have wings.  They prefer to blast away at each other in tanks.  The more dedicated GV guys will drive for hours to help take a base.  Again, to each his own.  If that's whats fun for them, so be it.

I'm sure I've missed some, but every country has em.  And to clarify this isn't a condemnation of any player type.  You'll see folks slide from one group to another at times depending on the mood they're in.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline BMathis

• Platinum Member
Knight Rook or Bish
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2007, 01:36:56 PM »
Good thread... I havn't been to any other country than Bish. But in the SEA i get to meet all walks of Rook and Knit life. They're all pretty much cool people, just like the one's in your home country.

However it seems to me that there is always an influx of Bish Newbies after the Military Channel plays that AH Commercial..."Heed your call to glory"

Do you rooks and knits just tell the newbs to get out and stay out???  :rofl

BMathis
B~Smooth Xtreme Racing (Retired)
Aces High CM Staff (Retired) [Koth, Xtreme Racing League]

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Knight Rook or Bish
« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2007, 01:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by bnasty
However it seems to me that there is always an influx of Bish Newbies after the Military Channel plays that AH Commercial..."Heed your call to glory"

Do you rooks and knits just tell the newbs to get out and stay out???  :rofl

That XXX XXX Military Channel comercial! :mad:

I can assure you, every country gets it's share...
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Knight Rook or Bish
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2007, 01:41:08 PM »
Originally posted by Guppy35
Milk runners-This bunch avoids the fight at all costs and can be found in buffs racking up the points by hitting undefended targets.

While this is the traditional and accepted definition of milk-runner I've found other examples recently;

Players milking EW and MW for field captures.
Players in attack planes milking strat targets for damage points.
Players in attack planes milking VB's for vehicle kills.

None of these additional forms of milking pose any significant threat to the milker, and therefore must be added to the traditional definition.

There may be others.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.