Author Topic: close range firing  (Read 1534 times)

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
close range firing
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2007, 09:39:03 AM »
^

LOL

Set it at 225 and learn to get close in.

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
close range firing
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2007, 11:40:50 AM »
i love to waste ammo.

the way i see it....

Having a good hit% stat - worthless

Having a bad hit% stat but every now and then make a 800yrds killshot on an enemy and laugh your arse off - priceless.

even so, i will still set my 20mm hispanos between 200-300, i dont like to miss out on snapshots for the chance of a few long range hits.

just my view.

here is a quick diagram i drew up last year, showing the dynamics of a 970yrd kill with convergence set around 300yrds.

the two diagrams show the same thing, one from game and one top down plan view.

as we can see, as long as you have a feel of where your rounds are travelling, convergence doesnt matter.

this shot on the 190 set him on fire.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline Daubie

• Copper Member
close range firing
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2007, 04:03:41 PM »
I'm learning like you are.

Offline I use the circling drones.  I setup a C-205 with all guns at 200 yard convergence, then I fire under 200 yards, try to get into 100 yards.  Experiment all directions.  Knowing where to hit critical parts plane specific will be a learning experience.  Also practice not letting target out of sight.

WOW!  is the word.

Large pieces come off and will hit my plane if not coming in from the side.  Or just a puff of smoke results.  I'm trying to hit wing tip specific or wing spar junctions.  Knocking off vertical stabilizers is a goal I have not attained yet.

Then I snuck in behind a plane that just took off in MA and about 8,000 feet climbing.  At 200 yards I gave him a short 1 second burst.  He was all flames.  I knew I had the kill so I boogied off, not in front of him, waiting for him to explode.  3 months at playing this game, that was sweet!  But I felt bad doing it.  Just pixels on a TV screen.

Tough getting in that close with a bomber and a guy that knows how to shoot.  Same convergence at 800 yards does nicely with tracers on.  I took each bomber out one by one.

I just can't dog fight, yet, with C-205 and not much range.

Other trick, in radio box, input:

.target 400

then turn north will find a nice big target to shoot at at 400 yards

400 can be any number to 1000; zero it with

.target 0

at 100 yards just pull trigger, how can you miss?

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
close range firing
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2007, 05:33:18 PM »
I know lots of guys like long convergences. Trouble is, when your convergence is set that long, you lose killing power up close because your rounds will be spread out. Instead of a short burst shredding the enemy, you'll see long bursts with hits spread all over the target.

Also, in planes that have mixed guns and cannon, with convergence that far out the different ballistics mean that at closer ranges EACH GUN TYPE WILL HAVE A DIFFERENT VERTICAL TRAJECTORY. In other words, the rounds with better velocity will be significantly lower that the ones that are slower, so you CANT HIT WITH BOTH AT THE SAME TIME.

As Bat showed, you can get long range hits with close convergence with practice. But, with long range convergence you lose a tremendous advantage in close.

IMHO you are much, much better off setting it in close, learning to shoot at a maneuvering target, and learning to maneuver yourself for the best possible shot.'

And its SO much more satisfying to make them vanish in a blast of bullets, to find themselves suddenly towered.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
close range firing
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2007, 05:39:42 PM »
.... and hearing the 'sound-of-a-thousand-pings' :D :lol :t

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
close range firing
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2007, 12:23:13 AM »
Originally posted by Simaril
I know lots of guys like long convergences. Trouble is, when your convergence is set that long, you lose killing power up close because your rounds will be spread out. Instead of a short burst shredding the enemy, you'll see long bursts with hits spread all over the target.

Also, in planes that have mixed guns and cannon, with convergence that far out the different ballistics mean that at closer ranges EACH GUN TYPE WILL HAVE A DIFFERENT VERTICAL TRAJECTORY. In other words, the rounds with better velocity will be significantly lower that the ones that are slower, so you CANT HIT WITH BOTH AT THE SAME TIME.

As Bat showed, you can get long range hits with close convergence with practice. But, with long range convergence you lose a tremendous advantage in close.

IMHO you are much, much better off setting it in close, learning to shoot at a maneuvering target, and learning to maneuver yourself for the best possible shot.'

And its SO much more satisfying to make them vanish in a blast of bullets, to find themselves suddenly towered.

I set almost everything to 650 and I bet I can rip you to shreds from 2-400 or from 4-600 just as easily.  Shot doesn't matter; HO, pursuit, lead, snapshot or deflection.  As long as I can bring guns to bear I bet I can shred you.  It's all in what you get used to.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
close range firing
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2007, 12:39:32 AM »
real diverging snashots, that are often winners or losers in a very close 1 on 1 fight will only give you the chance to land 2 or 3 rounds from twin 20mm. in that situation you want them in close.

it depends if youre flying huge multi con fights with cherry pickin and longer chances to shoot a target, which is a great time to set the 50cals out to 400 for me.

in a true one on one turn fight the seperation between equal skilled players is always minimal and any convergence beyond 250-300 yrds is unlikely to win you any advantages.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]