Author Topic: Hello i'm new.  (Read 1052 times)

Offline YeOldePilot

• Zinc Member
Hello i'm new.
« on: June 11, 2007, 03:17:16 PM »
Hello, as the title explains I'm new to AH and I'd like to ask some questions before i venture further in this game. I've been playing for a while now, almost a week.

I use the mouse for controlling my aircraft, and i was thrilled to see the game having mouse support when i first signed on, but now I'm starting to feel the mouse short-comings.

I have for example never been able to shoot down an enemy pilot with my own aircraft*Que laughs*:P, simply because its very hard to maneuver with the mouse(as i read you guys have pointed out in several posts) so now i am for the first time going to buy a Joystick.

Thing is though, i don't want to spend too much on the first one, as i am unsure whether this is the game for me yet. So i looked around and found two joysticks i could consider purchasing as my first one(about 30$ each) i will list them as follows: Logitech Attack 3, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro PC.

However I've read on these forums that the Logitech joysticks are inferior, so here is the question(man I'm really making a long post, bah)as these are just the starter ones, are these suitable for a first stick or better yet, superior to my mouse and keyboard or will their short-comings simply not make a difference?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post!

Offline hammer

• Gold Member
      • netAces
Hello i'm new.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 03:25:23 PM »
For about $10 more MSRP (less on sale) you can get a Saitek Cyborg Evo which is a good starter stick - lots of buttons, throttle, twist rudder control, and able to support right or left handed use.

Regards,

Hammer
Hammer

JG11
(Temporarily Retired)

Offline Geary420

• Silver Member
Hello i'm new.
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 04:04:09 PM »
Saited ST-290 pro.  It has about 5 or so less buttons than a Wingman 3D but it can be had at Wal-Mart for 20 bones.  I love the feel and funcionality of the wingman, but on average they last between 2 and 4 weeks for me.  I've had the Saitek for over a year with virtually no complaints except that hat wearing out a lil bit.  I will take a worn hat over an unflyable stick that spikes constantly thanks to the crappy pots.  Also the Saiteks have adjustable grips for differnet hand sizes.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Hello i'm new.
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 04:15:21 PM »
In between those 2 choices are the new Saitek Aviator which has a bunch of buttons, toggles, and dual throttles. Sells for around 40$, it is new, but I've heard nothing but good things about this stick so far.

Ohh and Welcome to Aces High  :)

Offline MstWntd

• Copper Member
Hello i'm new.
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 04:26:06 PM »
Well first off welcome to Aces High.

I've had a Saitek ST-290 Pro for 5 years. I highly recommend that. Just bought an X52, but the ST-290 still works great. (ST290s are about $20 at radioshack)
Also, I flew with a mouse for a year or so, I got used to it...but then I got a stick and loved it.

Well, and I'll see ya in the skies.

P.S.: Logitech's are crap, otherwise noted as Logicrap
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 04:29:39 PM by MstWntd »

Offline YeOldePilot

• Zinc Member
Hello i'm new.
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 04:07:02 AM »
Thanks for the replies all, and i have now decided to get me a saitek cyborg evo.

They weren't that much more expensive, so i figure I'd be a fool not to. so once again thanks for all the help and ill see you in the skies!

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Hello i'm new.
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 05:53:26 AM »
Using a good joystick I almost always make beautiful three-point landings.  Using a Logitech joystick, I cannot land my airplane without crashing and exploding.  I'm glad you've decided to forsake Logitech.  That company should be ashamed of the trash it puts out.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Hello i'm new.
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 07:53:49 AM »
Originally posted by YeOldePilot
Thanks for the replies all, and i have now decided to get me a saitek cyborg evo.

They weren't that much more expensive, so i figure I'd be a fool not to. so once again thanks for all the help and ill see you in the skies!

A tip for you - buy your Evo at a store that offers a replacement policy for a few extra dollars. Evos are notorious for developing nose bounce and requiring constant calibration with time.

Chances are you'll be hooked on AH shortly and eventually will want to upgrade your stick for more bells & whistles. CH Products is the way to go at that point.

And, welcome to AH :D

Offline Engine

• Silver Member
Hello i'm new.
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 08:49:19 AM »
My highest recommendation is that you hit up Ebay for a good-as-new Microsoft Force Feedback 2. I've never had a stick with such quality, precision, and endurance.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
The MS Sidewider with Force Feedback
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 08:52:04 AM »
It's really a shame, but MicroSoft no longer makes Joystikes, however, you can find them online.  They are worth the price.  8 years and going strong.

It was built to last and it shows.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Engine

• Silver Member
Hello i'm new.
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 09:17:27 AM »
To this day I'm upset MS shut down one of their few divisions that produced an affordable, well-crafted solid product.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Hello i'm new.
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 09:57:58 AM »
MS Sidewinder 3D Pro here.  11 years and still like new.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Hello i'm new.
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 05:49:06 PM »
I'd stay away from the ST290 if the Evo is equal in price. The ST hinders your ability to maintain constant view of the guy your fighting with. The old saying, "Lose sight, lose the fight" is very true. The second or two you spend requiring the guy in a knife fight is more than enough time to send you back to the Tower. In a game of split seconds you may be giving away the advantage using an ST.

Anyone who'se trained with me at all know I spend alot of time getting folks to use thier views effectively.

Hope this helps.

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
Hello i'm new.
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 05:57:42 PM »
ive got a microsft ff 2 and its something like 8-9 years old and its working beautifuly at this time, those sticks are heaven ;)
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline Geary420

• Silver Member
Hello i'm new.
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 06:31:34 PM »
Originally posted by DamnedRen
The ST hinders your ability to maintain constant view of the guy your fighting with.

Elaborate please?