Author Topic: small game hunting  (Read 759 times)

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
small game hunting
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2007, 12:17:07 PM »
Originally posted by Golfer
Just because a Deer walks into the yard in the middle of July doesn't mean I can shoot it.

Get more practice. :rofl
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
small game hunting
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2007, 01:25:54 PM »
When I was a young prepubler pimply faced pudknocker like whitey, I used to be cruel to animals and shoot them with pellet guns.  Back then I had zero problems taking down ferocious squirrels and rabbid pigeons with ordinary .177 pellets shot through the usual suspect crossman pump air rifles (ten pumps and not one more).

The thought of needing a "wadcutter" :confused: or "hollowpoint" :huh .177 projectile was, and is laughable to me.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline FBBone

• Nickel Member
small game hunting
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2007, 03:02:10 PM »
Just because a Deer walks into the yard in the middle of July doesn't mean I can shoot it.

You can if its causing damage to your property or crops, at least in rural areas.  You may not want to in, say, Boulder, CO.  They get downright testy if you do.:D

Offline FBBone

• Nickel Member
small game hunting
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2007, 03:54:16 PM »
Originally posted by Yeager
When I was a young prepubler pimply faced pudknocker like whitey, I used to be cruel to animals and shoot them with pellet guns.  Back then I had zero problems taking down ferocious squirrels and rabbid pigeons with ordinary .177 pellets shot through the usual suspect crossman pump air rifles (ten pumps and not one more).

The thought of needing a "wadcutter" :confused: or "hollowpoint" :huh .177 projectile was, and is laughable to me.

Speaking only for myself and not the squeaker, if they're on my fence or just passing through, I'll let em be.  If they're nesting on my house or getting into my attic.......*PLINK*.......... good pigeon/squirrel.

Pigeon poop carries all sorts of nasty diseases and theres been more than one squirrel found carrying the plague.  Not to mention the damage they can do the the structure.

Offline DoLbY

• Copper Member
small game hunting
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2007, 04:19:50 PM »
here is site you should check out, especially hunters. Its free to join

http://www.huntingnet.com

storch

small game hunting
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2007, 04:25:28 PM »
Originally posted by FBBone
Speaking only for myself and not the squeaker, if they're on my fence or just passing through, I'll let em be.  If they're nesting on my house or getting into my attic.......*PLINK*.......... good pigeon/squirrel.

Pigeon poop carries all sorts of nasty diseases and theres been more than one squirrel found carrying the plague.  Not to mention the damage they can do the the structure.
I agree

Offline ariansworld

• Nickel Member
small game hunting
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2007, 05:01:39 PM »
I will look into other pellets besides hollow points too.

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
small game hunting
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2007, 05:05:04 PM »

No you rope the Bassturd, place him/her in a pen.... apples, corn or wild oats...feed it.  Then come Wintertime you kill it... let it get cold enuff to get the ticks off.

Taaaa Dahhhh Venison.

and yer point was?

Mac

*Invite all yer Veggie Friends and serve them Lettuce as you goure in fresh Venison.....*

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
small game hunting
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2007, 05:20:23 PM »
I club'd the crap outta a pregnant oppossum in my tool shed with a 5 Iron.

Know why?  

Cuz it was there, cuz it was ripping up my roof, cuz it was having babies in my attic that it didn't want to care for and left them crying year after year... crying and unfed until they couldn't cry no more and died.

With each swing of the club I talked to her... it took 35 minutes until she died. But I enjoyed every frikken minute of swinging on her.

I even thought of the "Dieing Quiver".

My House, My Land, My Family.  If you don't like it then stay away from my House, stay away from my Family and my Land.  

I'm as Politically Correct as I will get... BS stops at the edge of my property.

Mac

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
small game hunting
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2007, 05:45:28 PM »
====
Check out the .177 titanium tip sabot round by daisey.  Also, if you cant get good results with the sabot round, check out the fin stablized ultra penatrator depleted uranium dart pellet put out by Benjamin Co.

Good luck!
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline FBBone

• Nickel Member
small game hunting
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2007, 05:47:56 PM »
Originally posted by AWMac
I club'd the crap outta a pregnant oppossum in my tool shed with a 5 Iron.

Know why?  

Cuz it was there, cuz it was ripping up my roof, cuz it was having babies in my attic that it didn't want to care for and left them crying year after year... crying and unfed until they couldn't cry no more and died.

With each swing of the club I talked to her... it took 35 minutes until she died. But I enjoyed every frikken minute of swinging on her.

I even thought of the "Dieing Quiver".

My House, My Land, My Family.  If you don't like it then stay away from my House, stay away from my Family and my Land.  

I'm as Politically Correct as I will get... BS stops at the edge of my property.

Mac
:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

The mental picture that i got from this_is_PRICELESS!!!:rofl   You sir are a true man of nature, and chock full of compassion!  BTW, Mind if I drop in for some venison?:aok

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
small game hunting
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2007, 05:51:55 PM »
a pregnant possum and 35 minutes with a golf club?  what do you have for arms? rubber bands?

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
small game hunting
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2007, 05:58:42 PM »
I live in downtown Oakland CA next to lake Merrit. On my property I have bird feeders, water gardens and bird watering stations. I've had to place screened covers over my water gardens to keep out raccoons. My birdfeeders are the squirrl proof type. But on occassion a squirrl gets an attitiude about it and damages or destroys the feeder. The raccoons sometimes destroy the recycling pump on my bird watering fountain along with digging up the garden from time to time.

Mr. Kalishnakof didn't just create a great assult rifle. He also created an olympic competition pellet pistol. Do a search for IZH46. One lever pump and it's bye bye anything up to a raccoon with a head shot in my yard. It also has a low sound profile and the neighbors never suspect a thing. They being typical Liberal Tree Hugging tardlings. They enjoy my little island of wildlife, but abhore my expalining how squirrls are fuzzy tailed rats that destroy PROPERTY and cost you money in repairs. Or that rocky raccoon is not the cute critter from walt disney, but is a dangerous creature that carries rabies and the plauge along with destroying property and harming or killing your pets. I had to go through the 21 shot Pasture rabies series to the stomach muscles when I was 7.

I can open my kitchen window and take out problem squirrls. Or stay up a bit later, then use my combat light into the night time back yard and eliminate raccoons caught dirty handed destroying my hard work. Funny how some squirrls will watch you put in new plants one day and then next morning dig them all up. Or raccoons come through in the night and destroy your water pump or tear up new plantings. Used to cost me upwards of $1000 a year some years. The IZH46 is less than $400 and kills them every time........:D

My property, my garden, my hard earned money wasted by tree rats and bushy tailed dirt dogs..........:t   But now dead tree rats and dirt dogs yipppiiieeeee................ ..:aok
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 06:03:00 PM by bustr »
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline FBBone

• Nickel Member
small game hunting
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2007, 06:16:42 PM »
Originally posted by ariansworld

Try these,
Gamo Rocket pellets.

Good expansion and deep penetration (can I get in trouble for saying that to a minor? :eek: )

Also, if its pest control, please don't call it small game hunting.  The two aren't synonymous.:aok