Author Topic: Confidence in the bottle?  (Read 1040 times)

Offline 1HAMMER1

• Zinc Member
Confidence in the bottle?
« on: June 24, 2007, 12:18:17 PM »
I made an odd analogy the other day.

I have been deployed for awhile and haven't flown in over a year. I recently got back in the game (love the additions and new TA!) and have been slowly reaquainting myself to the changes and my lack of skill. I never was a "good" pilot but, flying with JG3 Udet in the past and for as long as I did made a fair pilot of me.
I noticed the other day that confidence has a great deal to do with flying well. I usually found myself judging my descision to engage an aircraft based on my lack of skill and the knowledge I have of what the "other guy" is flying. Well I had a few drinks, and you know how inhibitions go when that starts, and decided to jump in the cockpit. I started landing multiple kills everytime I went up. I was applying some manuevers I had recently researched off this site and was amazed that, while applying these manuevers helped, I had lost that inhibition and "doubt" in my ability to successfully engage an enemy. Instead of asking "Can I take this guy?" I was telling myself "Oh, you've got this!" I enjoyed that night more than any other on the game so far.
Grant it, I am not promoting drunken flight, I am pointing out a strange simularity between confidence and skill application. I am a Corpsman in the military and rely heavily in my confidence of skill to perform my job well; and just found it odd that it could apply to this simulator as well. I would encourage others to research, practice, and have confidence in the application of what YOU know versus what the other guy may or may not.

~Doc

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 12:21:45 PM »
Aggressiveness alone will make you better than 90% of the pilots in the MA.  Simply fly on the edge and you'll outfly almost anyone.  

Why be timid?  It's just a cartoon plane and a virtual life.  Let it hang out and see what happens.  That's how you get better.  You'll learn a lot of cool new moves by doing this too.

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 12:25:28 PM »
Doc,
I've observed the same thing in myself.

My best hops have been when I'm in the bag at 1am.  For some reason, I just fly way more aggressively with a few beers, but you'd think your loss of coordination would hurt your flying.
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 12:35:15 PM »
Originally posted by toonces3
Doc,
For some reason, I just fly way more aggressively with a few beers, but you'd think your loss of coordination would hurt your flying.

I think you will have to find that sweet spot. Intoxicated enough to get agressive, yet not too drunk to fly ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 12:36:44 PM »
Originally posted by Stang
Aggressiveness alone will make you better than 90% of the pilots in the MA.  Simply fly on the edge and you'll outfly almost anyone.  

Why be timid?  It's just a cartoon plane and a virtual life.  Let it hang out and see what happens.  That's how you get better.  You'll learn a lot of cool new moves by doing this too.

yup!:aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 12:38:35 PM »
<----PWNS SKYTWITMARK
TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 01:03:52 PM »
hmm I'll do a test of this tonight.... Margaritas anyone?
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline 1HAMMER1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 01:07:21 PM »
Originally posted by Shuffler
hmm I'll do a test of this tonight.... Margaritas anyone?

Lol. Got duty here onboard myself but maybe tomorrow night... wonder if it could improve my medical practices? J/K.

Offline P47Gra

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 01:29:29 PM »

you know what Stang this is the second time I have agreed with you.  You really need to stop being so intelligent.  It really pains me :rofl

I fly on the edge all the time.  I have steadily gotten better and know more.  I am now graduating to bombers and have a good teacher in the squadron I am shadowing.  Now with GV's.  Now that is a different story.

Jugs are fun specially in groups of Four......

(*) (*)    (*)  (*)

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 05:11:46 PM »
The secret to successful drunken flying is practice, practice, practice. :)
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 05:27:42 PM »
Like anything I do while drinking, I peak at about a rack...any beyond that and I start to fade, be it AH, horseshoes,bowling,sex,what have ya.

And what Stang said.

~AoM~

storch

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2007, 05:50:07 PM »

oh lord, I agree with this poster.  I feel ill now and must be excused.

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2007, 06:33:04 PM »
:D

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2007, 06:35:52 PM »
LOL, I can tell you some things about   Confidence in the bottle  and flying online...... but the time it would take and space needed would lockup the internet :D
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Rollins

• Silver Member
      • 4thFG
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2007, 07:31:35 PM »
^^^^^^^ :rofl
http://www.flamewarriors.net    Here kitty kitty...