Author Topic: No Honor  (Read 3447 times)

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
No Honor
« Reply #90 on: June 27, 2007, 10:06:57 AM »
I dunno but when I take an engine oil hit, thats when I get more aggressive. I would have been inclined to turn around and HO him with fervor.

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
No Honor
« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2007, 10:26:38 AM »
I recall three instances in AH1:

1.)  Flew into a base, in LA7.   I get tangled up with a Yak.   We duke it out for almost 10 minutes.   I could have HO'd him many times, and he could have done the same.   He ran out of fuel near his base, I broke off and let him land.   Then I see SYSTEM: Channel 1: IceMAW <> to the La7 who didn't HO.   I saluted back, and flew with MAW in Friday Night Ops for a few months.  

2.)  I get into it with a 109F4, and I'm in a spit 9.   For almost 15 minutes we are turning, climbing, dodging, diving, etc.   I hit his Oil, he got a flap.   I had used up my cannon.   I typed on Channel 1 that I was bingo cannon.   All of a sudden, I get a huge "Thank You" from shamus.   We both saw it as a great fight, even though no kill was awarded.    We never "HO'd", just had an intense fight for 15 minutes, and went rtb.    

3.) I recall a fight in Pizza map.   Bish attack our field.   I up an La7 and quickly get 4, refuel, get 2.   Upon the 2nd rearm I notice another La7.    We get into one of the best fights I have ever been in.   I end up losing both ailerons, both elevators, and both flaps.   His plane was banged up good too, and he asked who it was on Channel 1.   I replied and he asked "Why are you headed away from your base?"   I told him I only had the rudder left as a control surface.   He showed me quarter because "if you can land that plane in that bad of shape, I need to see it".   I  landed, and he never let me forget about that fight.   It was SECOmust.  

I still get PM's from some of the older crowd of simmers, for quarter.   To me, if yer that hellbent on bottomfeeding an oil dripping, water venting beat up cartoon airplane then good for you.   But if someone gives me a good fight, I'll let him go, provided he doesn't turn around.   I don't need kills that bad to improve my score.   I think a lot of people that play this game, take it WAY too serious.

I know FOR A FACT that if I get into fight with someone like SkyRock, Dolfo, Corky, Silat, shamus, rob53, Hajo, and many others.    If I'm that beat up or they, quarter CAN/and WILL BE shown.   It's happened to many times to count.   It's just rarer to come across these guys.    As they know I'm not out "to get every kill possible".    Hell, there are times where I have never pulled the trigger, but have had some of the best turnfights.   For me now, it's about the fight, and less about the kills.  

The bottom line is this, while the above incidents may seem like embellishment, they are not so.   They are merely examples of "courtesy".
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
No Honor
« Reply #92 on: June 27, 2007, 10:47:08 AM »
Originally posted by Masherbrum
I recall three instances in AH1:

Yep, but the difference is that they all put up a good fight and you guys had fun.  They did not HO and run for the closest base.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
No Honor
« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2007, 10:47:59 AM »
Originally posted by Masherbrum
.....................I know FOR A FACT that if I get into fight with someone like SkyRock, Dolfo, Corky, Silat, shamus, rob53, Hajo, and many others. If I'm that beat up or they, quarter CAN/and WILL BE shown. It's happened to many times to count. It's just rarer to come across these guys. As they know I'm not out "to get every kill possible". Hell, there are times where I have never pulled the trigger, but have had some of the best turnfights. For me now, it's about the fight, and less about the kills.

This is what I was talking about. Old School guys were like that, and it was just one of those things that was cool. In my original post the "Pro" is a guy I would have considered "old school" and it was why I was surprised he felt the need to chase me down and finish me off. The whole escapde was just an example of what I see as the community falling into the crapper.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
No Honor
« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2007, 12:54:19 PM »
Originally posted by The Fugitive
This is what I was talking about. Old School guys were like that, and it was just one of those things that was cool. In my original post the "Pro" is a guy I would have considered "old school" and it was why I was surprised he felt the need to chase me down and finish me off. The whole escapde was just an example of what I see as the community falling into the crapper.

Those kinda folks are still around.   I don't agree that the "community is falling into the crapper".

Folks play the game for different reasons.  There have always been those that play it like it really matters and that every kill and every point is the most important thing out there and that their ego's suffer if they don't believe they are the greatest cartoon pilot to walk the planet.....as if it matters :)

All kinds of good folks in this community too.  I'm enjoying AH as much as I ever have and probably as much as I did AW during my early days when it was all so new.

In the end it still comes down to how I approach the game and how I choose to play.  I don't expect anything from anyone else, so any of the good stuff is a bonus :)

With that in mind, you'll see the Headhunter 38s cruising along 5K or below looking for trouble, knowing we'll probably get mugged in the end, but the chance to have at it is all that really matters along with wondering how many more 38 parts we've left on the arena floor and how many baduns we took with us:D

As long as planes are free and we're not really dying,  finding the biggest red dar bar and plowing into it is all that really matters:aok
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
No Honor
« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2007, 01:04:48 PM »
if someone like dan or others get hoed and gotta rtb and ask, i will let em slide all be it rarley do they ask. 2 nights ago i was going at it with akELFY and WMlute, and ink.  akelfy kept coming back and we were having a ball as did lute, eventaully lute and i wandted a 1 on 1 so i told the local sheep to get of lutes 6, and when i got within wing distance i saw that lute was missing an elevator, so i asked him to plz rtb as it wasnt fair fight, he siad hell no then we fought it was a great fight.  Until his disadvantage allowed me to get around on his  6. then akelfy bnz me who gives a crud;) it was all in good sport! keep it fun keep it cool, and keep fun is my policy

ps freezman lovie the afk plane kills makes em so easy i sometimes wing with them then kill em when i get bored ;) lol
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline Nomak

• Silver Member
No Honor
« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2007, 01:14:22 PM »
I wouldnt have let ya go.  A smoking bird is blood in the water as far as I am concerned.

That being said....  I understand your frustration and have experenced it many times myself.  I have been let off the hook in the past and have returned the favor myself a time or 2.  Its not something you should expect though IMO.

Just take a break, grab a cold one then grab a new bird. ;)

No Worrys.  It is what it is.

Dave

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
No Honor
« Reply #97 on: June 27, 2007, 02:27:57 PM »
I know FOR A FACT that if I get into fight with someone like SkyRock, Dolfo, Corky, Silat, shamus, rob53, Hajo, and many others. If I'm that beat up or they, quarter CAN/and WILL BE shown. It's happened to many times to count. It's just rarer to come across these guys. As they know I'm not out "to get every kill possible". Hell, there are times where I have never pulled the trigger, but have had some of the best turnfights. For me now, it's about the fight, and less about the kills.

The bottom line is this, while the above incidents may seem like embellishment, they are not so. They are merely examples of "courtesy".

These, for the most part, only happen when you both know exactly who you are fighting and once that is established, if there is mutal respect, then incidents as you have described take place more often than most realize.

Just last night I was bangin heads with Coronado ... we both had situations where we let the other guy "go home" ... but it was only because we knew it was each other and we both have respect for each other and when we do fight ... we want the best the other has to offer cause it's gonna be one helluva fight.

Now, if I didn't know it was Coronado and he was flying near me smokin' or we tangled and I get an oil hit on him ... he is NOT GOING HOME if I have anything to say about. If he were to shout out on 200 and I saw it ... I would let him go ... but only because it was him.

Giving "Quarter" in this game is a result of "respect" ... mutal respect to be more exact ... I have my own metal list of those that fall into this category.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
No Honor
« Reply #98 on: June 27, 2007, 02:35:03 PM »

And that's how you build the community.  Folks talking, sharing the wealth, enjoying the fight and keeping it in perspective.

Again it starts with each of us and how we approach the fight.  For those of us who talk so much about the community and where it's going, this is what it's all about.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
No Honor
« Reply #99 on: June 27, 2007, 02:35:51 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
These, for the most part, only happen when you both know exactly who you are fighting and once that is established, if there is mutal respect, then incidents as you have described take place more often than most realize.

Just last night I was bangin heads with Coronado ... we both had situations where we let the other guy "go home" ... but it was only because we knew it was each other and we both have respect for each other and when we do fight ... we want the best the other has to offer cause it's gonna be one helluva fight.

Now, if I didn't know it was Coronado and he was flying near me smokin' or we tangled and I get an oil hit on him ... he is NOT GOING HOME if I have anything to say about. If he were to shout out on 200 and I saw it ... I would let him go ... but only because it was him.

Giving "Quarter" in this game is a result of "respect" ... mutal respect to be more exact ... I have my own metal list of those that fall into this category.
True, but you know what I was sayin'.:D
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
No Honor
« Reply #100 on: June 27, 2007, 03:45:47 PM »
if you ask me, which you don't, i would say that the very biggest problem with our community is long term players setting a poor example for the newer guys. A lot of the damage has been done on this forum and almost all of us are responsible for what we turned this game into now, and what we make of it in the future.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
No Honor
« Reply #101 on: June 27, 2007, 04:04:54 PM »
Originally posted by Nomak
I wouldnt have let ya go.  A smoking bird is blood in the water as far as I am concerned.

Dave

i have yto agree with this........i've left a LOT of fights trailing oil smoke from one of my engines(usually #2..seems kinda funny that way in the 38)and with some sort of fuel leak, although i'm not good enough to be leaving the fight with multiple kills......i just wanna put my bird back on friendly concrete in whats left of its one piece. but i can be cruisin in a sector that shows no nmys....but miracously, 3 to 5 seem to entere the sector, find my smoke trails, and run me down:lol . it is howerver fun when ya can make em overshoot ya a couple times before they kill ya.

or there was last night in LW,,,,,i took down the 1 of the buffs that ghost66 didn't have enough ammo for, then cleared a seafire off someone else's 6, grabbed a bit of alt, got into a scuffle with a n1ki, and let him get the better of me(i REALLY thought a 38J could out turn them), so i cried like a sissy for help, and draged him right over friendly GV's....they did an awsome job clearnig him off me, but not before i was hurt bad......all the typical p38 smoke trails.....i thanked them and headed to rtb........8 miles away from the scene of the combat, i see a couple bogies, but looks like they don't see me...i dive to treetop anyway as they already had alt, hoping to blend in...well...they not only saw me, but it was like a shark frenzy......2 niks, a spit, and i think i saw an la back there.....on the fun note, it did take them a couple minutes to finish me off:D :D ....but no quarter shown,.,,i didn't ask or expect..and to be honest i think in reverse situation..i'd have done exactly what they did.........

:noid
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
No Honor
« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2007, 04:07:21 PM »
Originally posted by Nomak

That being said....  I understand your frustration and have experenced it many times myself.  I have been let off the hook in the past and have returned the favor myself a time or 2.  Its not something you should expect though IMO.

Just take a break, grab a cold one then grab a new bird. ;)

No Worrys.  It is what it is.

Dave

i need to ad too...i do avoid entering in on someone elses kill, unless they ask for help....:D
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
No Honor
« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2007, 04:20:23 PM »
With me is who I am fighting against.  If I know who it is I will let them go sometimes even when I get on their 6 after a good fight I wont fire.  Instead I ll break off so we can try it again.  I'll even fight someone when bingo ammo if they keep coming for me just for the fun of it and it is not because I don't care about dieing.  Ill do everything I can to stay alive by fighting.

Sometimes though, because I know who it is, I will do everything I can to make sure they don't land.  SHawk is my witnes :rofl :p
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Knegel

• Nickel Member
No Honor
« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2007, 05:40:54 PM »
Originally posted by The Fugitive

Also in old times a just smoked engine wasnt a reason to let someone go.
You simply overstress the rules of honour to your favour.

You try to sell you was helpless, but you wasnt and that the other guy was better than you you only could guess and since you never did try to win, you never will know, if he would have won the fight.

If you play this game so long you also should be a "prof" and you should be able to fight with a bit oil on the screen.
If you would have been able to stay alive until your oil was empty and the engine was dead and so your plane wasnt combat worthy anymore, then i absolutly would agree to you.

Not to fight inside a combat worthy plane is the dishonourable behaviour here, it was your mistake not to disengage in time. You did decide to get into this fureball of enemys, so you have to fight as long as you can.
To fight as long as your plane allow it and as long as you cant disengage is one part of the game.  

What would you have done, if your engine didnt smok??

I dont see a reason to behave much different, he was above you, so he would have attacked you anyway.  Your engine still had the same power and your plane still had all rudders and guns, so there was no reason not to fight.

Otherwise i did engage many pilots, who didnt shot after my engine was out or after my wingtip was gone.

Greetings,

Knegel