Author Topic: Strafing the chute...in real life and in game  (Read 2444 times)

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
Strafing the chute...in real life and in game
« on: June 26, 2007, 03:07:04 AM »
Hey all.

A few weeks ago, I got strafed in my chute, in AvA no less, and it pissed me off to the point that I nearly got muted by a mod.

Anyway, I thought that strafing the chute in game was cheese of the biggest order...especially before I discovered .ef.

But besides that, it does raise an ethical question on the order of the HO debate.

I would have never, never believed this, but in WW2, strafing chutes wasn't  uncommon.  And, being an American, I'd wish I could say it was only the 'bad guys' that did it but that's not the case at all.  Repeatedly in my reading/research I've read accounts where U.S. and Jap (and I'm assuming German/Russian) pilots strafed pilots in the chute or on the ground, as well as survivors from ships that were sunk in a bombing attack.  In other words, the Vals would sink a DD, and then come back and strafe the liferafts.

For me, I like to ride the chute down a bit.  Not necessarily to the deck, but for a min or so...sort of to recage my thoughts and get ready to get back into the fight, or to get another beer, or whatever.  Yet, ever since I discovered .ef I don't see the point and will bag out as soon as my chute opens.  I don't know why that sux, but it does.  I got shot at in my chute the other night, and .ef was the bomb as it got me right out of there.  But, it's pretty cool to be in the chute and have the guy that shot you down buzz you at d100- you know?

So, here's the question:   do you strafe the chute in game?  Is this totally BS or are you cool with it?  I guess this is even more extreme than the 'honor' question.  
How about real life?  I realize this is a cartoon game, but would you strafe your opponent in real life?  It's hard to say I think.  Maybe in a chivalrous world we all hope we live in you can give and take quarter.  Then again, maybe your best friend got shot down in his SBD yesterday, and you're out to get revenge on the first zero or Val you see.

I'm curious what you all think.
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline NOT

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 03:36:10 AM »
i wont go out of my way to shoot a chute. but if i see one lazily drifting to the deck, i will help them get to the tower. youknow, just in case they are new, and dont realize they can .ef.:D

NOT

AKNOT

Offline Keiler

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 03:38:14 AM »
I never shoot at chutes. Its a game, no reason to "kill" the pilot.

I also think its poor sportmanship, and to go a step further, to me it shows the type of character of the person who does this.

To some people winning is what counts, to some people humiliation of the foe is the butter on the bread, and nothing less than latter it is.

Use .ef  ;)

Regards,
Matt

[edit]
Dont know about real life. I think it depends on the war you're fighting in. At the beginning I am pretty sure that, at least in the "civilized" hemisphere, soldiership and honor are real and truly believed virtues of the men and women who fight (exceptions of course exist, always).
When the war drags on I can imagine that personal feelings will get stronger, as far as hate, or neutralism. Thats the point where all but the strongest might succomb to kill helpless or already surrendering enemy soldiers, either to vent their anger, or because the just want to end this and get home.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 03:47:03 AM by Keiler »

Offline Viper35

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 03:52:22 AM »
I expect to get strafed in a chute especially if I am over the enemies town.  One time they didn't and I landed in the town.  I related to my squadies what buildings needed taken out and what GV's were close and what planes were overhead.

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 04:03:16 AM »
Originally posted by Viper35
I expect to get strafed in a chute especially if I am over the enemies town.  One time they didn't and I landed in the town.  I related to my squadies what buildings needed taken out and what GV's were close and what planes were overhead.

There ya go.  This guy would have been shot at dawn but I wouldn't wait that long.  Get the spy's in the silk.

Same for the map room storker that bails over his dying town.

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 04:37:36 AM »
Toonces most of the time .ef is disabled in the AvA when you are in a chute. So whenever I see one hanging in there I kill it to help the guy out. Best thing to do in there is ride it into the ground.

On the other hand now that you have a .45 in a chute I say its fair game. I myself have sat on a deacked field and poped people uping with it, sat by a maproom and killed troops, and even sitting a few K away from a base telling squadies whats uping and how high they are. So I say if you dont want to be killed in a chute dont open it.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Knegel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 05:03:32 AM »
Hi,

i only shoot people on the chute, if they ask for, otherwise i would feel bad.

In R/L there was always pilots who shoot to people at the chute, while in britain and germany there was a high grade of sportmans ship among the pilots.
US pilots got the order to shoot at the chutes(specialy of jet pilots) and also Hitler suggested to do so, but Göring was absolut against this and did forbid it(this was probably the only time that Göring went against Hitler will). Though, according to some sources not all pilots followed Görings order and by far not all US pilots did follow their order(otherwise Hartmann would have been dead before the end of war).

Greetings,

Knegel

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 05:15:06 AM »
Shooting chutes, like vulching, is an art form.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 05:32:41 AM »
Chuck Yeager shot chutes as he says " I don't want to have to fight that guy again".

For the game I find it a complete waste of ammo that could be better used on the next plane I run in to.

Hope this helps.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 05:42:07 AM »
I used to hate chute shooters, but after i discovered the joy of running around on an enemy field with my .45 popping troops and planes i found out that killing chutes has to be done... and enjoyed :D

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 05:58:16 AM »
Only time I'll shoot chutes is when they are handing out 6's in a furball, or something to that end.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 05:58:40 AM »
I shoot chutes in following cases:

- Enemy bails over own town for a obvious reason.
- Enemy bailed pilots acts as a forward observer for his teammates in tanks  at a ground battle near a vehicle field.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 06:01:49 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline AAolds

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 06:44:48 AM »
Depends on the situation whether or not I'll shoot a chute or not.  If they're away from my base and not an intel threat I will not blast em.  Otherwise, open fire.
The AArch AAngelz is its own country, we owe loyalty only unto ourselves and those we fly with at the moment.---AAolds AArch AAngelz XO.

I love to GV and do Jabo missions vs GVs, get used to it.  Being good at one helps in the other.

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
Re: Strafing the chute...in real life and in game
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 07:00:57 AM »
Originally posted by toonces3
Hey all.

A few weeks ago, I got strafed in my chute, in AvA no less, and it pissed me off to the point that I nearly got muted by a mod.
Then the strafer did a good job:aok
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Avenger8

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 07:05:24 AM »
I would like to chute shoot someday, but I'm afraid I'll crash into the chute and give the guy a kill. That would be humiliating .:)