Author Topic: Antique Firearms restoration  (Read 102 times)

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
Antique Firearms restoration
« on: June 30, 2007, 03:04:13 PM »
I really need some help and advice on this one, I'm completely stumped as to what to do.

Back in the beginning of June, My Granddad passed away at 95. Among the various things that he left us, was an old Colt.

It took me some time to identify it, But from what I've found out, the Pistol was a U.S. Model 1902 Double Action revolver, called the Phillipine model, made for the constabulary there at the time of the Moro wars.

The weapon is chambered for .45 Colt. What I need to know, though, is this: The gun has a different set of grips on it than what came from the factory. Also, the lockwork isn't working properly, and the cylinder won't lock. Some of the same pistol on the internet were selling for good numbers, but they were original condition (same grips, no repairs).

Will it hurt, or boost, the value of the gun to repair the lockwork and put the original grips back on?

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 03:13:22 PM »
Should boost the value if you can find a set of original grips for it. Also a firearm is worth more if it is in working condition. That being said, you need to find a gunsmith that is competent to work on antiques. Better yet would be contacting Colt and see if they can do the repairs in their custom shop.

Good luck.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 05:04:04 PM »
Make darn sure you specify that the work to be done is a repair ONLY and not a restoration. If they restore it they will take away the antique value by rebluing etc. the weapon. All you want is to repair the weapon, not rebuild it to like new. If the barrel needs replacing leave it a wall hanger. You want to maintain it as original as possible.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown