Author Topic: Don't get me wrong, I like the concept of fair play  (Read 3064 times)

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
Don't get me wrong, I like the concept of fair play
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2007, 11:51:58 AM »
Originally posted by Ghastly
Belittle me if you want, but the bottom line is that given a choice between a game that has it in it's current poorly implemented state with it's abrupt and disruptive impact on individual game play and a sim that didn't,  I'd fly the sim that didn't.

Well, good luck with that!

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2007, 12:06:33 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
The following are available if ENY climbs to 24, with those tagged with * available if ENY climbs to 29.

A-20G (first rate jabo and capable dogfighter)
A6M2*
109E*
109F-4*
109G-2*
109G-6*
110C-4b*
Boston III* (ok jabo and dogfighter)
C.202*
F4U-1
190A-5
190A-8*
Hurricane MK.I*
Hurricane MK.IID
IL-2
Ki-61
Mosquito
P-38G*
P-40B*
P-40E*
P-47D-11
SBD-5* (ok jabo, excellent dogfighter)
Spitfire MK.I*
Spitfire Mk.V (first rate furballer)
TBM-3* (good jabo, good dogfighter if need be)
Yak-9T

I would not feel outclassed in most of these, especially the P-38G, P-40E, P-47D-11, F4U-1,109F, 109G2, 109G-6 and 190A-5, all of which can handle anything that comes along. The F4U-1 is quite good and the main ride for several top pilots. The P-38G can haul 2k in bombs and is fearsome in a dogfight. Moreover, the P-40E can be a real handful if it has a good pilot. Then there's the 190A-5, a first class ride and a terrific plane in which to pick off the clueless. The Jug is very lethal and something not to be underestimated. My favorite 109 is the G-2, capable of abusing any of the low ENY hotrods. If you think any of the above are not capable, come see me in the TA one evening and I'll be happy to demonstrate what they are able to do.

Gents, there's no reason to whine about ENY if you have even average fighter skills. There's lots of choices and many of them are very capable. All in all, I fly high ENY fighters much of the time anyway, so a high ENY doesn't faze me in the least.

Most carrier fighters are disabled? Grab an SBD and have a ball. It'll gobble up almost any fighter if the pilot is silly enough to try turning with it. Ditto for the TBM. Plus, the TBM can haul 2k in bombs, and six rockets. Forget the rear guns, fly it like a fighter and enjoy the chance to humble the dweebs.

My suggestion is to use ENY restrictions as an opportunity to broaden your horizons.

My regards,

Widewing

Maybe reading the 'whine' would have helped.  I think he said ALL cv planes disabled.  No need to turn this in to a look at how good I am thread again.  I don't care about ENY but at the same time, he does have a point.  He and anyone else, do not need to broaden their horizons when they try to capture a base.  They can do that when ever.  There is no reason for an ENY of 40 and above.  Let the people play the game they pay for.

As far as the list of the planes you listed above, pick one and Ill get in a lala.  I ll see you in the DA.  Lets see what the TBM can do.  Unless you meant that as a joke.  In that case, I appologise. :rofl
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline pluck

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2007, 12:19:18 PM »
guess instead of eny, you could restrict the number of players allowed on a team, if they have a certain percantage more, no one else allowed to log into the arena to play for that country.  Unless someone has a better way to help balance gameplay instead.  If gameplay not balanced, then its not a game at all, it's a grinding mmorpg.
-Vast
NOSEART
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Yknurd

• Silver Member
      • Satan Is Cool...Tell Your Friends
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2007, 12:31:20 PM »
Fine, we can fix the ENY values.  Just implement autoside balancing.

One minute you are a Bish, next you are a Rook for 60 minutes.

There, no more whining about ENY you poofter bastiges.
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2007, 12:36:57 PM »
Originally posted by Lusche
And in most cases, this is justified. Look at the killstats. HurriIIC has consistently one of the highest K/D in the whole planeset.  Currently it is #3 ranked non-perk plane with a average K/D of 1.61, in tour 89 it was even #1 non-perked plane!
It's impact clearly justifies a low ENY value.

Which probably comes from the EW / MW arenas and not the LW.

Would expect its ENY to be low in the EW , middle range in MW , and high in the LW arenas.
Not the same in all 4.

Clearly as you progress from EW, thru MW, to LW a planes ENY value should increase, not remain the same.

Admitedly it's probably an oversight, but it's there just the same.

ENY should represent something tangible other than a planes popularity.
What happens if for some crazy reason the Spit Ia suddenly becomes popular for a couple of tours?
That get an ENY value of 5 like all the other popular planes?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 12:41:34 PM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2007, 12:36:58 PM »
Originally posted by pluck
guess instead of eny, you could restrict the number of players allowed on a team, if they have a certain percantage more, no one else allowed to log into the arena to play for that country.  Unless someone has a better way to help balance gameplay instead.  If gameplay not balanced, then its not a game at all, it's a grinding mmorpg.

You can't balance it.  You can try and help by using ENY and other things but you cannot balance it at all times.  Losers will log and winners will stay.  Thats how people are.  There comes a point were the map is lost.  A lot of people on the losing side will log and go into another arena or to bed.  No need to punish everyone who is on by either ENY or no desent fights anywhere because of the vulchfests and low oposition.  Let the map reset and balance will return instantly.

Locking people out of the arenas will cause WWIII :rofl

Offline pluck

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2007, 01:05:19 PM »
Originally posted by dedalos
You can't balance it.  You can try and help by using ENY and other things but you cannot balance it at all times.  Losers will log and winners will stay.  Thats how people are.  There comes a point were the map is lost.  A lot of people on the losing side will log and go into another arena or to bed.  No need to punish everyone who is on by either ENY or no desent fights anywhere because of the vulchfests and low oposition.  Let the map reset and balance will return instantly.

Locking people out of the arenas will cause WWIII :rofl

oh i agree that this way would not be the way to go.  I think of eny the lesser of 2 evils, but yet necessary.  I understand that when people are losing or what not, they tend to log off, and i can almost understand frustration that this may have on the win war guys....however, I don't think the game would be fun if it was 300 vs 100 vs 100 all day everday  for example. (please people, don't take these numbers literally).  One aspect of multiple arena's is that if your eny is really high in one area, i can almost assure you that the country in the other arena is outnumbered.  Also as widewing pointed out, there are many fine aircraft out there.  Map being reset probably accounts for no more than 1-2% of the time AH is running, so trying to work around that seems like you might be missing 98% of the rest of the time.....just my thoughts.
-Vast
NOSEART
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline BBBB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2007, 01:12:20 PM »
We didn't have this problem in AH1. You just flew and if the map was won, you logged back in and flew again. If a side was being team stacked, too bad, they will be the team stackers in a few hours anyways. The wheel went round and round and it worked. Now the wheel squeaks, rumbles, skids and goes totally out of control. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

-Spot

Offline stockli

• Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2007, 01:16:43 PM »
My suggestion is pick a 109 you like for times when ENY is high.

My order : P51D, P38J, BF109G-2, and the A6M.

If I cant up any of those I go to sleep.

Offline DadRabit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2007, 01:21:34 PM »
well said dedalos    

:aok
David (Daddy Rabbit) Jester
S! 68KO
S! A8WB
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2007, 01:26:34 PM »
Originally posted by Kev367th
Which probably comes from the EW / MW arenas and not the LW.

Hurricane IIC had similar high K/Ds before the arenasplit,  for example 1.46 in Tour 75 (randomly picked).
The split may have increased the numbers, but only to a very small degree because there is much less combat there, numbers varying between 3 - 10% of LW population.

Originally posted by Kev367th
ENY should represent something tangible other than a planes popularity.
What happens if for some crazy reason the Spit Ia suddenly becomes popular for a couple of tours?
That get an ENY value of 5 like all the other popular planes?

It already does.  ENY considerations are not that simplicistic for sure.
Popularity isn't the base for ENY alone . Also you'r example is flawed, because it just won't ever happen.
The other planes don't have ENY 5 just because they are popular. They are popular because of their performance. They have ENY because (to a degree) to their performance.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 01:34:13 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline pluck

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2007, 01:41:10 PM »
Originally posted by BBBB
We didn't have this problem in AH1. You just flew and if the map was won, you logged back in and flew again. If a side was being team stacked, too bad, they will be the team stackers in a few hours anyways. The wheel went round and round and it worked. Now the wheel squeaks, rumbles, skids and goes totally out of control. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

-Spot

ya AH1 was a completely different game...but i think changes made reflect the ever increasing population.  If you have one arena with 600 people, and 300 people are all flying bish, while 200 nits, and 100 rooks....maybe a different story.  In AH1, we had what 200-250 or so on prime time?  AH1 long gone now.
-Vast
NOSEART
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2007, 01:49:02 PM »
Originally posted by pluck
oh i agree that this way would not be the way to go.  I think of eny the lesser of 2 evils, but yet necessary.  I understand that when people are losing or what not, they tend to log off, and i can almost understand frustration that this may have on the win war guys....however, I don't think the game would be fun if it was 300 vs 100 vs 100 all day everday  for example. (please people, don't take these numbers literally).  One aspect of multiple arena's is that if your eny is really high in one area, i can almost assure you that the country in the other arena is outnumbered.  Also as widewing pointed out, there are many fine aircraft out there.  Map being reset probably accounts for no more than 1-2% of the time AH is running, so trying to work around that seems like you might be missing 98% of the rest of the time.....just my thoughts.

Agreed, for the 98% we use what we have (ENY).  When ENY started people and HT said give it time.  Well, it had time.  It is either not working or it has reached its potential.  In either case, the people that keep complaining about it are not changing countries.  So, the only thing ENY can do now to help, is to limit their fire power.  That may be fine when ENY is 10, 20, 30 or whatever the majic number is, but when we get close to a reset and ENY goes out of control it does not help anyone.  It just prolongs a no fun situation.  I cant find any fights they cannot reset the map and the guys with a few fields left are being vulched until they log off. So, maybe a cap would help a litle by allowing a faster reset of the map.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2007, 01:57:42 PM »
Originally posted by dedalos
Maybe reading the 'whine' would have helped.  I think he said ALL cv planes disabled.  No need to turn this in to a look at how good I am thread again.  I don't care about ENY but at the same time, he does have a point.  He and anyone else, do not need to broaden their horizons when they try to capture a base.  They can do that when ever.  There is no reason for an ENY of 40 and above.  Let the people play the game they pay for.

As far as the list of the planes you listed above, pick one and Ill get in a lala.  I ll see you in the DA.  Lets see what the TBM can do.  Unless you meant that as a joke.  In that case, I appologise. :rofl

I read his post... And if NO CV planes were available, then NO planes were available anywhere. I think he was overstating things. Even at an ENY of 39, the A6M2 is available on carriers. I very much doubt that ENY was at 40. I suspect that the plane he WANTED to fly was unavailable. Well, life sucks and you get old and wrinkled...

Many players will never graduate out of their low ENY hotrods unless forced to. Easy mode is where they're at. If ENY puts their late-war beastie out of reach, some run here and cry the blues.. There's always at least one ENY complaint thread running.

Now, as to the other matter. I'll be in the TA tonight for my scheduled 3 hours, between 9 PM and Midnight Eastern. Stop by, grab your Lala and I'll take a 109F or a 109G-2. Cya later. ;)

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2007, 02:16:42 PM »

Many players will never graduate out of their low ENY hotrods unless forced to. Easy mode is where they're at. If ENY puts their late-war beastie out of reach, some run here and cry the blues.. There's always at least one ENY complaint thread running.

I have bad news for you.  This is not millitary school.  Its a game.  No one needs to graduate from anything.  An ENY of 40 does not take the beasts away.  It takes a lot more.  Personaly I could not care less.  I can do fine in a 202 but that is not the point.  I made my point above.

BTW  A plane with ENY of 30 is not a hotrod.

Now, as to the other matter. I'll be in the TA tonight for my scheduled 3 hours, between 9 PM and Midnight Eastern. Stop by, grab your Lala and I'll take a 109F or a 109G-2. Cya later. ;)
[/B]

See, you are not reading.  I said DA.  I am not going to take your word for when I died.  You ll have to make me go boom boom not pew pew pew I just killd your left flapz.  Whats up with the F and the G2? lol.  Read your post and mine.  It will be LA7 vs TBM or SBD.  According to you, they are fine planes to take into a fight.  Show us.  Then we will do F4 vs F4 and maybe some 5" guns latter eh?