Author Topic: Bad Hurricane Season or No?  (Read 1670 times)

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
Bad Hurricane Season or No?
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2007, 05:51:39 PM »
Originally posted by Hortlund
Actually what I said was that we are sure that an increased amount of greenhouse gas in the atmosphere leads to global warming. What you are talking about is the effect of said warming...that is the thawing of the permafrost, releasing methane into the atmosphere.

Im not really sure what you think is "debatable" here?
[/b]What's debatable is cause and effect.  In most historical records it appears that CO2 rises during or after a global warming trend is identified.  It doesn't precede the change.  In other words, there's absolutely no indication that increased CO2 (or other "greenhouse" gasses) caused the change.

Ten years ago.
I believe you're being facitious as 10 years is an infinently tiny amount of time compared to global climate cycles.

No, its not just the reporting. By looking at historical records we can also confirm that it is more common now than 10 years ago, or 50 years ago, or how far back the reliable historical records go (depends on city/area/nation).
"Reliable historical records" is reporting.  Again, consider what you call "reliable" reports.  Things such as differences between a weather station report now and it's historical reporting can be misleading.  For instance, many reporting stations in the New York area were originally in the country far from the city.  Now, due to expansion they are actually in built-up areas and it has been well known for many years that built-up areas produce heat islands which distort the "historical" reporting.  Even so, this doesn't get to the point now does it?  The global climate is getting warmer, this data does nothing at all to prove that man is the cause (with the exception that it does prove the existance of man-made heat islands").  Besides, if you really want to go back to historical records check out what the Vikings said about Greenland when they first populated it.  It was actually green, they had farms and a thriving community there...of course until the Little Ice Age covered Greenland with a sheet of ice.

Here you are adding your own qualifiers and then arguing against your own position. Normally that type of argument is called a strawman, and generally such type of behavior on a forum is frowned upon.
Now there's a load of non-sense if ever I saw one.  There is neither a false or exagerated fact in my statement.  The statement is qualified by the use of the word "probably" because there is no absolute proof, it's just a likely and logical supposition based upon the facts as we know them at this time.  This is something you globalwarminologists don't seem to understand since anything you claim is proof becomes "fact" and anything you deem to be a "fact" is proof.  The Earth is warming.  Man creates CO2, ergo, man is creating global warming.  False logic such as this is a common technique on your part.  Oh, and please follow your own rules of the forum before foolishly trying to detract from the discussion with your accusations.

Example, yesterday it snowed in Rio de Janeiro. It is the first time that snow has been recorded there since 1918. That is an example of extreme weather.
 It snowed in Tampa in the late 1970's probably for the first time in a century also and it was hardly "extreme".  Your own inability to follow the logic of your own facts is wonderful.  Did it ever occur to you that your own statement demonstrates that the recent snow in Rio proves this is a non-sensical argument FOR man-made climate change?  I'll help you out....it snowed in Rio in 1918.  Does that help?

Fascinating...yet completely irrelevant since you are arguing against your own strawman.
 As I already mentioned, perhaps you should look up the meaning of the word "strawman".  What you really mean to say is that you have no intelligent answer so you'll just attempt to attack the credibility of the other person.

LOL no ****? So you mean average temperature is not a constant?
 Given the lack of quality in your argument I believe I was correct in pointing out what should have been an obvious fact to most of us since you are apparently unaware of it.

We note that the average surface temperature has risen. It has risen if we look at it on a 5 year scale, a 25 year scale or a 50 year scale.
Just as we would expect given that the planet, on average (yeah...there's that word again) has been warming for 700 years.  This of course is based on the record of multiple centuries, not a 5, 25 or even 50 year scale.

Like I said in an earlier post, the likelyhood of extreme weather increases when the climate changes. Hotter than normal summers, colder than normal winters, drier than normal droughts or wetter than normal rain-periods are all examples of that.
 Please quote your sources that prove all this.  Given the indisputable fact that the press and globalwarmingologists favor hysteria over a calm and deliberative study please don't use press reports, especially when they use quotes from globalwarmingologists.

The observations we have taken span several hundred thousand years (ice cores)
 And all that they prove is that the Earth both warms and cools.  There is nothing at all unique in the ice cores relative to this warming period as compared to others with the exception that they have proven that rapid and drastic changes in the Earth's climate can, and have occurred.  Of course, one of those inconvienient facts is that those rapid and drastic changes occured before the industrial revolution.  Actually, the large scale drastic change that have occured happened before you can identify a civilization of man.  Hard to see how there's any evidence there that proves that man "did it", seems just the opposite to me but then I'm not hysterical (although you have had me laughing a few times).
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 06:02:00 PM by Mace2004 »
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

storch

« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2007, 06:26:17 PM »
Originally posted by Hortlund

classic euro rant applicable to any topic[/B]
 there is nothing to debate sir.  you guys are wrong as you usually are.

Offline xbrit

• Silver Member
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2007, 10:28:27 PM »
no opinion either way but here is another report.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6290228.stm

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2007, 09:11:31 AM »
hortlund... of course you and I know there are different areas of science but do the scientists?

It seems that so many with no background in climate are telling us that we are facing a man made global warming.

I have no problem with meteoroligists claiming they can predict the weather..  I have a problem when they claim the changes are due to man made global warming.

You seem to have no problem with most of the scientists who claim to know man is changeing the global climate not being scientists in the field of climate change in the first place.

It is one thing to say it is hotter or colder this year..even to say that some parts are warmer of colder or that some events are more frequent or less so than at other times.

It is quite another thing to say that you know man is causing it or that you have a solution that we can do to change a trend.

But... I think you know that.  I think you are just being evasive and clutching at straws.

lazs

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2007, 11:02:13 AM »
Now here's  a  news report that actually seems somewhat balanced although it's still flawed in one aspect which I'll cover at the end.  The article presents both "sides" by allowing for a fairly significant dissenting view.  It's interesting in that the article provides a bit of perspective, perspective that is seriously lacking in the climate discussion.  

Just as an addendum to the article here's some additional info.  Despite claims that hurricanes are more powerful now than in the past there is a long record of strong hurricanes.  At landfall the 1900 storm was a Cat 4, the 1926 Miami hurricane was Cat 4, and the 1915 Galveston hurricane was Cat 3.  All were extremely destructive but the press tends to distort the big picture because it likes to focus on the monitary damages.  It's virtually inevitable that each major storm appears greater than the last because they caused more damage.  Well, this study provides a little perspective on that.  

Also, there have been three cat 5 hurricanes that hit the US in the 20th century.  The Labor Day hurricane of 1935 (strongest ever to hit the US), Camile in 1969 and then Andrew in 1992.  Katrina was only a cat 3.  Also, lest we forget, these are just some of the hurricanes that hit the continental US (again, the categories are when they made landfall).  The Great Hurricane of 1780 hit the Lesser Antiles.  It killed 22,000 people and modern studies of it have concluded that it had sustained winds of 200mph.  Here's another nice "extreme" weather event for you that is really scary.  How about the 1908 hurricane which happened in MARCH.  Both of these are early enough to preclude any cause related to man-made global warming.  Can you imagine how apoplectic our globalwarmingologists would be if we had another hurricane so far out of hurricane season???  My god, if we can't shut them up now what would we do then?  It would be portrayed as the Holy Grail of globalwarmingism, proof positive that man is so stupid (evil?) that Gia is striking back.

So, what's the fault in this article?  It refers only to "global warming" in the discussion.  The globalwarmingologists equate "global warming" (a natural occurance and, by all indications a fact) with "man-made global warming" (a theory that is not a fact).  These are not the same thing.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 11:05:55 AM by Mace2004 »
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline McFarland

• Nickel Member
« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2007, 11:19:48 AM »
The thing aboot it is, the thing with global warming isn't just the severity of the storm, it's also the frequency at which they occur. More severe storms are occuring more often. Doesn't mean they will occur every year, doesn't mean they will do as much damage, but they will begin to grow more commonplace. Not just hurricanes, but other storms as well. Predicting them will still be hard, and knowing what the next hurricane season will be like will still be hard, but the occurance will be more often, maybe not every yea, maybe not every decade, but they will occur more often. Large scale hurricanes used to be a once in a lifetime thing, but I've already seen two in me lifetime, and there will probably be more.