Author Topic: Bad Hurricane Season or No?  (Read 1667 times)

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Bad Hurricane Season or No?
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2007, 01:40:41 AM »
Originally posted by storch
5100 or so sq ft in the far northwest corner of dade county the home is average for the community and indicative of the price one pays to live in paradise.

Average?  5,100 square feet is average?  Must be a nice community.

Paradise meaning Florida or the USA in general?  ;)
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline McFarland

• Nickel Member
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2007, 02:02:55 AM »
Paradise(n.) - a small section of East Tennessee in the foothills of the Smokies.

storch

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2007, 02:36:45 AM »
Originally posted by McFarland
Paradise(n.) - a small section of East Tennessee in the foothills of the Smokies.
I agree that eastern tennessee sure is lovely country.  we want to buy land there just in case the ice caps melt, we will be in a beachfront community again.

Offline McFarland

• Nickel Member
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2007, 02:44:39 AM »
It's good land, rich fertile soil, usually lots of water (big drought this year though), and lots of forests and animals. Usually gently rolling hills, a few valleys and ridges (the ridges are usually forested, good for hunting when you get low on food), many rivers and lakes, good fishing in them, it's paradise. Especially closer to the Smokies, and away from the cities and people.

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2007, 08:16:26 AM »
A 5100 square foot home is average, eh?  

Sounds like they're real concerned about the environment.

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2007, 08:22:19 AM »
McFarland, beach front property sounds like a good investment, IF the ice caps melt.

On the other hand, if the climatologists are wrong and we enter an ice age instead, a new continental glacier thousands of feet thick will form and eastern Tennessee will have an arctic climate.

Buy, but don't try to latch on to too much land, you could end up being stuck with it.  :D

Regards, Shuckins

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2007, 09:39:08 AM »
Originally posted by Shuckins
Climatologists and meteorologists predicted that the hurricane season of 2006 would be one of the worst on record, as a result of global warming.

Instead, it was one of the quietest on record, and these experts had enough egg on their faces to make omelettes for a year.

For 2007, the predictions are basically the same:  large numbers of powerful hurricanes.

Ah me.  We may be in the middle of global warming, but they still refuse to admit that weather and climate prediction is inexact and problematic.

Welp....better luck this year.  Oh, wait....us average folk don't really want death and destruction....do we?

You know, if they keep predicting "the worst hurricane season on record".  Eventually they will be correct.
Then they'll all jump up and down pointing out they were right.
:rolleyes:

Bronk
See Rule #4

storch

« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2007, 10:23:19 AM »
the community was built in the mid-late 50's when this was really the sticks.  the original owners had to travel over 15 miles to get to a grocery store.  jackie gleason built a home here and his pal built three PGA golf courses.  national airlines hosted their golf tournament here for many years.  the area gentrified in the 80's and many homes fell into disrepair.  

we bought this home for the value of the land and spent one year remodelling the place it was for all intents a ruin when we bought it. over the subsequent years have remodelled the baths and the kitchen.

in it's current iteration it retains the overall footprint of it's original design but it is all new on the interior and very energy efficient but it still costs quite a bit to cool as the A/Cs run 24/7.  

we are planning to gut it again in the next year or so as our needs are now different from when we last remodelled but frau storch and I can't seem to settle upon what the priorities are.

I want a home theater and computer room she wants rooms for the grandkids and guest rooms.

VWE

« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2007, 11:25:39 AM »
The grandkids can sleep in tents outside or on the floor of the computer room though you'll need a muzzel when playing. And for the guests I'd put a tavel trailer in the driveway, don't want em to be too comfortable as to over stay their welcome.

9200th post? You truely have no life!

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2007, 06:25:16 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
You have to admit tho that if all the kings scientists and all the kings men can't even predict if there will be more or less hurricanes this year than last....

that grandiose predictions of "man made global warming" and what it will do 100 years from now are pretty silly.

That.. the people who can't even put out or prevent a forest fire in tahoe are going to change the weather of the planet by passing laws and collecting taxes....

It all seems worse than the whackiest religion ever foisted on the people.

The same people who put leeches on you 100 years ago are telling you what the world will be like 100 years from now.

Do they ever get anything right?  have any of their long range predictions ever come true?

hell... not to mention what the weather will be like next week.

lazs

Lasz....your problem is you search for something concrete, ie "more hurricanes"  in the global warming (now non-debate, thank you.) .   Most climatologist agree that global warming will have only small measure of effect on hurricane formation.  Tying hurricanes into global warming is inane stupidity.  As well, we're not even a month and a half into a seven month season... jesus, talk about putting the cart before the horse and jumping to conclusions.  

That being said, as for the poster who mentioned statistics...

I live in florida.. I've been through 9 or so tropical sytems classified as 1 or higher in the past 5 years.  Statistically, that is significant over that time period.  It lies in the farthest outliers, away from the norm.
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2007, 06:30:24 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
yep...  do away with fema.

I often wonder why trailer parks are in tornado country...  

here it floods in some places... we have people weeping when their house floods.. even tho there were ten high water marks on the stucco when they bought the place.

If you think you are at risk and care about replacing the property then buy insurance.

simple stuff.  No need for the government to get involved.  In fact.. they just make it worse and.. no one appreciates it in any case.

lazs

I only wish this were so, Lazs, but not for the reasons you would support.  People allowed to do whatever they want would significantly improve the chances of natural selection taking their genes out of the pool.  Then the rest of us could get along with making things work.
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2007, 06:47:56 PM »
Originally posted by MORAY37
Lasz....your problem is you search for something concrete, ie "more jesus, talk about putting the cart before the horse and jumping to conclusions.  

global warming?

Offline McFarland

• Nickel Member
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2007, 08:38:55 PM »
Originally posted by Shuckins
McFarland, beach front property sounds like a good investment, IF the ice caps melt.

On the other hand, if the climatologists are wrong and we enter an ice age instead, a new continental glacier thousands of feet thick will form and eastern Tennessee will have an arctic climate.

Buy, but don't try to latch on to too much land, you could end up being stuck with it.  :D

Regards, Shuckins

I didn't ay it was beach front property, I said it was paradise, good rich fertile farmland.

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2007, 11:49:33 PM »
Oops, sorry...I meant that statement for Storch.

Regards, Shuckins

storch

« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2007, 02:53:52 AM »
Originally posted by VWE
The grandkids can sleep in tents outside or on the floor of the computer room though you'll need a muzzel when playing. And for the guests I'd put a tavel trailer in the driveway, don't want em to be too comfortable as to over stay their welcome.

9200th post? You truely have no life!
I agree with the first paragraph but renounce the second one.  It's quite clear that I have plenty of life as evidenced by my post count.   people with no life are dead and therefore cannot post.  I'm brimming with life, at least up to this moment.