Author Topic: Homeowner defends property without guns  (Read 2576 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Homeowner defends property without guns
« Reply #120 on: July 19, 2007, 10:26:59 AM »
Well, one thing is certain: he did manage to destroy the tiny remnants of any credibility he had, using a shotgun that can kill squirrels at 150 yards.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 10:58:41 AM by Toad »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
« Reply #121 on: July 19, 2007, 11:23:53 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
Well, one thing is certain: he did manage to destroy the tiny remnants of any credibility he had, using a shotgun that can kill squirrels at 150 yards.

I dont even think I could see a squirrel at 150 yards, let alone shoot one with a shotgun.  As far as I remember I think I was told about 20 years ago that 80yards was a stretch and that was #4 shot, 3" shells, modified choke and a 28" barrel

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #122 on: July 19, 2007, 01:30:03 PM »
Oh I'm sure that blivet would make that shot with his special 410 supermagnum shotgun with the custom home built choke that gives a 5" pattern at 150 yards firing 4.6 inch double #8 shells all the while hunting squirrels in a dense forest where 150 yard shots are common. At least in between shooting kids that trespass and or steal fishing rods and skateboards from his lawn, just to teach them a lesson.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #123 on: July 19, 2007, 04:09:23 PM »
^ All the while with a timber rattler sleeping in his vest pocket.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline McFarland

• Nickel Member
« Reply #124 on: July 19, 2007, 05:07:03 PM »
Yes, I did shoot downhill, I standing on top of the ridge, where there aren't many trees. The squirrel was down the hill aboot 100-150 yards, in the top of a tree. As for specifics of the load, I'm not sure. I'll ask me friend who made it. I know it kicks like everything, it knocked me little brother down when he fired it. And he aint no little thing, either. As far as the pellets in it, it has pellets about the size of .22 cal rifle bullets. Five of them spaced equally around the barrel, and one in the center, only one layer of them. And as for the rifle hitting the target at 250 yards, I don't mean it hit in the circle, it hit exact center.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #125 on: July 19, 2007, 05:57:44 PM »
Anyone know where they are running a special on hip waders? I think we need them. :)
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline VOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #126 on: July 19, 2007, 06:02:23 PM »
I haven't seen a pile this high since the Voss thread.

storch

« Reply #127 on: July 19, 2007, 06:23:56 PM »
Originally posted by McFarland
Yes, I did shoot downhill, I standing on top of the ridge, where there aren't many trees. The squirrel was down the hill aboot 100-150 yards, in the top of a tree. As for specifics of the load, I'm not sure. I'll ask me friend who made it. I know it kicks like everything, it knocked me little brother down when he fired it. And he aint no little thing, either. As far as the pellets in it, it has pellets about the size of .22 cal rifle bullets. Five of them spaced equally around the barrel, and one in the center, only one layer of them. And as for the rifle hitting the target at 250 yards, I don't mean it hit in the circle, it hit exact center.
please stop my sides hurt

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #128 on: July 19, 2007, 08:29:37 PM »
Dear cod! Now he's shooting six pellets of 4Buck (.24 caliber) and reliably killing squirrels at 100-150 yards?

He must have a PhD in shooting... Piled higher & Deeper.

A 12 Ga 2 3/4" usually has about 27 pellets (Remington); but your custom load has 6 pellets?

Do you have ANY idea how large a pattern those 6 would make at 100 yards? How utterly unlikely it is that one would hit the squirrel? 50 yards is considered max range for a coyote with #4 Buck.

There's a test on the web the shows the number of hits on a FULL SIZE humanoid target for #4 Buck at 75 yards with a 27 pellet load, cylinder bore. The hits at 75 yards were termed "marginal".

3 hits; with 27 pellets on a human-size target.

Here

Again, bring your shotgun up here. If you can kill squirrels reliably at 150 yards with it, I'll buy you a case of Scotch.

storch

« Reply #129 on: July 19, 2007, 08:44:57 PM »
toad,

I'm sure McFarland's 150m squirrel kill was with #4 birdshot which is IIRC about .13 cal and not the far more dense #4 buckshot.  get with the program bud.  :D

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #130 on: July 19, 2007, 08:49:57 PM »
As far as the pellets in it, it has pellets about the size of .22 cal rifle bullets. Five of them spaced equally around the barrel, and one in the center, only one layer of them.

Closest thing to .22 is 4 Buck.

storch

« Reply #131 on: July 19, 2007, 08:58:50 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
Closest thing to .22 is 4 Buck.
ya it is

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #132 on: July 19, 2007, 09:17:30 PM »
I killed a squirrel at 70 yards with a 30.06 once. Hey, I sat in that tree for about 2 hours at about 10 degrees fahrenheit. I was cold and bored.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
« Reply #133 on: July 19, 2007, 11:02:30 PM »
I saw a squirrel do back flips once,  I think he was playing with his nuts

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
« Reply #134 on: July 20, 2007, 05:43:56 AM »
A squirrel bit my sister once.
No realli! She was Karving her initials on the squirrel with the sharpened end of an interspace toothbrush...