Author Topic: First Annual Aces High Recipe Swap  (Read 6776 times)

Offline red26

• Silver Member
      • http://www.red25s.zoomshare.com
First Annual Aces High Recipe Swap
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2007, 01:22:59 AM »
Missed the chowhall kinda meal  here.

One pack of Ramen cup noodle's

One Bag of Ruffels Big bag chips

Some Honey

Some hot sauce

One can of tuna

Make Cup of noodle's

Crush Bag of chips with chips in it dont throw away bag<-- its the Bowl

Drain the cup of ramen add to bag of chips

Add can of tuna wile ramen is still warm

Add Hot sauce and Honey and shake all up in the bag

Eat right out of the bag and Enjoy-- I know it sounds gross but its good.:aok
US ARMY LEAD THE WAY

Offline 68ROX

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2007, 08:49:42 AM »
This one is great for the holidays, but is a MAJOR hit when entertaining for any occasion...

68ROX'S 5 Cheese Cheeseball

1 ct cheddar cheese with port wine
1 ct Kraft Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1/2 lb Swiss Cheese
1/2 lb Blue Cheese
1/2 lb Cream Cheese

2 T worcestershire sauce  
3 T onion finely minced
1 T garlic finely minced

(TOTALLY OPTIONAL: 1 T Jalepeno, seeded, finely minced)

Garnish (to roll the ball in once it's completed)
(Here's where your own personal choice comes in, pick ONE:)
1/2 cup finely processed walnuts
1/2 cup finely processed pecans
1/2 cup finely processed almonds
1/2 cup finely processed cashews
or....LIGHTLY toasted sesame seeds

Yes, there's a bit of work involved..you are going to have to FINELY grate all the cheeses by hand.  Please be careful with the grater, as I do not wish for your fingers to end up as bloody stumps before you are done!

Directions:
Let cheeses soften a little to room temperature; mix everything (except your choice of garnish) Mix together using electric mixer, if you don't have an electric mixer, simply use your hands and fingers to mix it, just as if you were making meat loaf; form ball, then press the ball down to form a half ball---so it's doesn;t roll off the plate when folks are trying to get a piece for their cracker; chill forseveral hours (2 - 24).

Take from refrigerator 30 mins before serving; cover with your choice of above garnish.

Use gourmet crackers or Triscuits...something strong.  Regular saltines will simply crumble when you try and put this cheeseball on them.

Serve with cheese spreaders or butter knives.

Last time I made this for Christmas DInner at the In-Laws, my mother-in-law started to get p***** that everyone was loading up on the cheeseball, and might not have room for dinner.  :)

68ROX

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2007, 07:41:49 PM »
Originally posted by indy007
Okay, fill up a large pot of water, salt the water a bit, and bring it up to precisely 60 C (140 F). Put the steak, still in the sealed bag, into the water and leave it for 30 minutes (more if it's a very thick cut).
This has intrigued me over the past few days, and I've decided to try it out.  I also read an article in Cooking magazine this morning based on a similar concept, but with a few changes.  It advocated pre-heating the steak to 135-140 on an oven rack, then searing it.  No water, and in fact, the drying out of the outside of the steak at the low temperature was supposed to make the searing more effective because it wouldn't steam the steak.  Success is measured in minimizing the amount of "gray" steak near the outside.

I'll do the water trick today with a nice ribeye and tenderloin, and maybe try the oven version later.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2007, 11:03:56 AM »
Tried it last night, it turned out wicked.  Thanks Indy007!

I never thought hot water had any place in steak except for cleaning the dishes, but I guess it can...

I took pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/ben.hallert/PreWarmedSteak

I think I might try it with chicken next, with different target temperatures of course.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline 68ROX

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2007, 11:44:36 AM »
GREAT PICS, Chair!

(Did I see.....hmmm...DUCT Tape?)

Wish I had done that with some of the recipes in this thread!

From now on, the digital camera goes with me in the kitchen to the plate.

Tonight...home-made turkey burger tacos.

Thanks guys!

68ROX

Offline 68ROX

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2007, 12:24:50 PM »
You just CAN'T have ribs without Potato Salad & Grandma's Cole Slaw....

Flo's Potato Salad                       Credit: Emeril Lagassi

FLO’S POTATO SALAD
from Every Day's A Party Cookbook, Emeril Lagassi

6 large eggs
A pinch plus 2 teaspoons salt
3 pounds new potatoes, washed and quartered
1/2 pound sliced bacon, cut into small dice
3/4 cup Mayonnaise
1/4 cup Creole or whole-grain mustard
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon hot sauce
3/4 cup finely chopped red onions
1/2 cup chopped green onions or scallions (green part only)
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Put the eggs in a saucepan and cover with water, add the pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat, cover, and let stand for 10 minutes. Drain, then cool in a bowl of ice water. Peel and chop.

Put the potatoes in a large saucepan with 1 teaspoon of the salt and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and cook until fork-tender, about 12 minutes. Remove from the heat and drain. Let cool to room temperature.

Fry the bacon until crisp, remove from the pan with a slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels. Set aside to cool to room temperature.

In a large salad bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, hot sauce, red onions, green onions, garlic, the remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and the black pepper. Whisk to blend. Add the eggs, potatoes, and bacon and toss to coat evenly. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.

Most cole slaws are just plain mayonaise...this one has some mustard in it that makes just plain cole slaw taste like a booger.  It's one of the first things to dissapear at "Grammy's" house when she makes Christmas Dinner.......

Grandma Chrismas' Carolina Cole Slaw                 Credit:  Marylyn Chrismas (my mother-in-law)

1 Large head of cabbage, shredded
1 Large carrot, grated
1/2 Green pepper, chopped
2 T onion, minced

(dressing)
4 T HEAPING, salad dressing
4 t HEAPING Prepared mustard
1/3 cup white sugar
Dilude with small amount of milk
1 pinch of kosher salt
4 turns of fresh ground pepper

Layer as follows:
Shredded cabbage>carrot>green pepper>onion> salt & pepper.

Pour dressing over other ingredients and mix thoroughly

Refrigerate 2-24 hours before serving.

68ROX

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2007, 02:00:01 PM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
Tried it last night, it turned out wicked.  Thanks Indy007!

I never thought hot water had any place in steak except for cleaning the dishes, but I guess it can...

I took pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/ben.hallert/PreWarmedSteak

I think I might try it with chicken next, with different target temperatures of course.

Np :) The hardest part I've found is getting the water to the right temperature. I'm not the most patient person. Also, when searing, you need at least 120 C / 250 F. Anywhere from 250-320 F works fine for steaks. It's called the Maillard reaction.

The Maillard reaction occurs when the denatured proteins on the surface of the meat recombine with the sugars present. The combination creates the "meaty" flavor and changes the color. For this reason, it is also called the browning reaction. The Maillard reaction occurs most readily at around 300° F to 500° F. When meat is cooked, the outside reaches a higher temperature than the inside, triggering the Maillard reaction and creating the strongest flavors on the surface. In the early twentieth century, Louis-Camille Maillard happened upon what came to be known as the Maillard reaction when he was trying to figure out how amino acids linked up to form proteins. He discovered that when he heated sugars and amino acids together, the mixture slowly turned brown.

But it was not until the 1940s that people noticed a connection between the browning reaction and flavor. World War II soldiers were complaining about their powdered eggs turning brown and developing unappealing flavors. After many studies done in laboratories, scientists figured out that the unappetizing tastes were coming from the browning reaction. Even though the eggs were stored at room temperature, the concentration of amino acids and sugars in the dehydrated mix was high enough to produce a reaction. Most of the research done in the 1940s and 1950s centered around preventing this reaction. Eventually, however, scientists discovered the role the Maillard reaction plays in creating flavors and aromas. For example, as many as six hundred components have been identified in the aroma of beef.

This is originally where I got the recipe. Been using it for some time now. The flavor pairings are what I've been staring at lately. Stuff like chocolate & pink peppercorn... haven't tried it yet. Like mango & pine (which I did make a fish recipe for that's quite tasty), they're supposed to have matching molecules and lead to a good taste paring... but I just can't bring myself to putting together a white chocolate & caviar dish.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2007, 02:44:20 PM »
I used a remote thermometer for regulating the water, and checked the pan temp w/ an IR non-contact gun.  Surface temp was 370F when I hit it, but I'm sure it cooled on contact w/ the meat.  I'll try a heavier pan w/ more mass next time.

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2007, 04:06:30 PM »
An Easy meal in under 30 minutes.

1 large potato, per induhvidual
1 chicken, Live

Add 1 Ranger Sergeant
Add 1 Recondo Buddy (tired, beatened and hungry)

Ranger Sergeant whips live chicken into woods and allows Chicken a 1 minute head start.

Recondo retrieves 1 raw potato from Ranger Sergeant without lossing sight of Chicken.  Start the timer.

Chase down and tackle Chicken without droping Potato.

Bite off Chicken head and drink the blood, hand kickin Chicken to Buddy for him to drink.

Squeeze Chicken til innards are extracted through back end. Feel around the ground for the liver and gizzards. Remember to share.

Politely Rip as many feathers as possible from the Chicken.

Bite and rip flesh off the Chicken starting at the breast, remember to share the Chicken with yer Buddy. This will prevent a fight from breaking out.

Bite into raw potato... this helps the Chicken flesh and feathers to go down.

Check watch for time.

Repeat passing Chicken back and forth and eating potato.

Check watch for time.

at exactly 29 minutes bury bones and lick fingers.

Remember this is a simple recipe with no dishes to clean up afterwards.

A meal for 2 in under 30 minutes.

:aok

Mac
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 04:10:35 PM by AWMac »

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2007, 04:33:15 PM »
Gooey Buns, first ate these at one of my Aunt Kay's house when I was around 7 or 8. I have no idea where she got the recipe.

2 cups cubed ham.
8 hard boiled eggs chopped up.
2 cups shredded velveeta cheese. (always wanted to try that swiss cheese that melts really well)
1/4 cup mustard
salad dressing to moisten, miracle whip works well.
mix well in large mixing bowl.

Put mixture on a hamburger bun, wrap in foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

You can also prepare these and then freeze them for later, although freezing requires a bit longer bake time. They can be microwaved to heat them as well (w/o the foil obviously) although they are best when baked.

Do not remove the foil after baking, peel it back slowly as you eat it. (You'll understand why after you eat one or two. :D)

Meal on a Loaf, one of my mom's recipes that I just love.

2/3 cup evaporated milk
1 1/2 lb of hamburger
1/2 cup cracker crumbs (saltine)
1 egg
1 tbl mustard
salt and pepper to season
2 cup american or cheddar cheese, shredded
1 loaf of french bread

Combine all ingredients except bread in a mixing bowl. (Fry the hamburger and drain the grease first)

Cut the bread in half length wise and wrap foil around the sides and bottom leaving the top open. Apply hamburger mixture evenly to bread. Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees, then garnish with cheese slices and bake 5 more minutes.

Uber foods.....uber....
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2007, 04:43:26 PM »
Originally posted by AWMac
An Easy meal in under 30 minutes.

Do you moonlight on Man Vs Wild? :confused:

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2007, 04:46:58 PM »
Originally posted by indy007
Do you moonlight on Man Vs Wild? :confused:

No, But I stayed in a Holiday Express last night.

:D

Mac

Old Army memories Son.

Offline 68ROX

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2007, 05:11:16 PM »
Thanks for the post Elfie!!!

Those two will definitely get made at THIS house!

(Ta HECK with the diet!)

<>

68ROX

Offline 68ROX

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2007, 05:13:21 PM »
AWMac...

I hear Ozzy Osborne is planning on writing a British Military Culinary Field Guide.....

I'll send him your suggestion.

68ROX

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2007, 05:23:06 PM »
(Ta HECK with the diet!)

My current diet only allows 2 eggs per week. I think that sucks 10 day old dog turds. :(

I did say to heck with the diet when we made Meal on a Loaf a couple weeks ago. My wife asked me, "What about your diet?".....I said, "I'm off my diet until this stuff is gone". :D
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.