Author Topic: Dual Ladder  (Read 1816 times)

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
Dual Ladder
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2007, 05:01:19 AM »
Originally posted by Platano
I think It should be random plane picks of the day...

This way no one knows what they will be flying until the times comes to start the match...

Kinda more interesting this way...

This way no one can have an advatage by choosing a plane they normally fly...

That was exactly my thinking about it.

BUT.

If the players knew in advance what they were flying, and took the time to learn that plane by flying it more in preperation, shouldn't they be rewarded?

Both way's have their pro's and con's.

Also...  i'm trying to pick a DAY or NIGHT to do this event.

I guess we could pick an off Saturday night once a month, maybe early enough for the Euro Types?

Opinions?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 05:05:30 AM by WMLute »
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Kami

• Zinc Member
Dual Ladder
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2007, 07:13:29 AM »
Originally posted by WMLute
That was exactly my thinking about it.

BUT.

If the players knew in advance what they were flying, and took the time to learn that plane by flying it more in preperation, shouldn't they be rewarded?

Both way's have their pro's and con's.

Also...  i'm trying to pick a DAY or NIGHT to do this event.

I guess we could pick an off Saturday night once a month, maybe early enough for the Euro Types?

Opinions?

If you want any new blood to enter into the duels you should announce planeset beforehand.  However if you want to keep it more for just the vets then keep it a mystery.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Dual Ladder
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2007, 07:38:53 AM »
First off the bracket tourney looks much more interesting to me than a ladder.

As long as the pilots names are randomly drawn and matched so everyone has an equal chance to draw an easy kill like myself or a tough one like blukitty.

Also, make it best of 5, contest gives you 3 planes, each pilot picks one plane, not to include any plane already chosen by the contest.

IE if contest says p38, p47, and p51d are the 3 planes the pilot could choose the p51b for his plane but not the p51d, as its already been chosen.

If you want to get real fancy, signup web page would also have a poll for your top 3 picks for plane choice. Then on game day you pick the most voted for 3 planes. People would be told what the planes are right before match.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
Dual Ladder
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2007, 07:46:38 AM »
I think that its best to say no rules. You meet in space, what happens next happens.

~AoM~

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Dual Ladder
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2007, 11:25:12 AM »
Originally posted by Kami
If you want any new blood to enter into the duels you should announce planeset beforehand.  However if you want to keep it more for just the vets then keep it a mystery.

Another method already mentioned by someone earlier in this thread: Regardless how the intitial plane is chosen (vote, gentleman agreement, CM Team pick or random), the player who just lost a round picks the plane for the next one.
That way lesser skilled/experienced players can chose a plane they may be comfortable with, while those veteran crack pilots have to show some flexibility.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
Dual Ladder
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2007, 12:26:06 PM »
If your going to do it as a tournament make it only 3 rounds. I cant stand 4 hours in the DA. Its way to repetitive for me....

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Dual Ladder
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2007, 12:58:31 PM »

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a bracket tourney.

Working on map ideas.

i have been so waiting for something like this,
   i am psyched !!!!!!!!!
i think the planes should be randomly chosen.
but only fighters NO duel engine.
   Duels should be at least 3 out of 5 to achive win.
after first pass ANYTHING goes Except breaking alt cap and such.
Colisions should be on.
   first merge should have strict rules to make it even as possable.  much like a drag race  
   (in DA some dive down at first pass some fly straight)
Done this way the better pilot should win every time.

this is gonna be fun   kill you  Gents there  I mean see you Gents there

:D

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Dual Ladder
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2007, 01:04:35 PM »
Originally posted by ink

I would think a duel engine would be perfect for a duel...
:D

Offline Platano

• Silver Member
Dual Ladder
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2007, 01:21:10 PM »
Originally posted by ink

I hope no one from SAPP see's this....:lol
Army of Muppets

Fly Luftwaffe.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Dual Ladder
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2007, 01:58:52 PM »

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a bracket tourney.

Working on map ideas.

Ill dual both Monica and Lisa at the same time if you dont mind.

Pleeeeeaaaseeee?:D
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline kamilyun

• Silver Member
Dual Ladder
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2007, 02:07:16 PM »
Be nice to also clarify if 6K merge means both cons at 6K when entering icon range, or if they have to pass wingtips (9-3 line) at 6K +/- 100 feet before diving or climbing.  That's caused controversy in the past and should be set in stone.

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
Dual Ladder
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2007, 02:36:04 PM »
All the Ideas are good imo.  One thing I was thinking for the TOC at the end of the year was to add Wind into the mix.  Best of the Best should be able to handle there plane in wind conditions.  Now I not talking hurricane/ tornado speeds.  Talking about your typical everyday wind and also being random at different alt levels.

Planes I believe should be selected by the loser.  First plane picked by CM/random plane.

Guns are cold for intial merge, after that guns go blazing.

Maps I believe should have trees/ cannons and such, not just water.  This allows a fight in the bush and adding excitement to the fight watching out for trees, hehehehe.

Wish CM's could turn Icons off to make it even more realistic.  No range/names, nothing.  (maybe soon)
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Dual Ladder
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2007, 02:41:22 PM »
Originally posted by AKDogg
Wish CM's could turn Icons off to make it even more realistic.  No range/names, nothing.  (maybe soon)

Give me a display with a "realistic" resolution first. While we all have to cope with various types of displays and resolutions ranging from crappy 800X600 to still crappy 1600 and similar, I'll stick with icons.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Dual Ladder
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2007, 04:39:34 PM »
Originally posted by Husky01
In Ladders Ive been in its not against the rule ever to ho after the 1st merge. Its highly frowned upon but not against the rules. Imagen how many fights there would be about that was a ho! no it wasnt! etc etc on the BBS.

There has never been any "frowned on" about any FQ shot after the 1st merge in any decent ladder. If you can get around 1st you do...if not you deny the shot or take your chances.There is almost no such thing as a true HO on a remerge. One guy or the other gets around 1st....now whether that guy hits or not is a seperate question as is whether he flys for the shot on remerge or suddenly see's the other guy is and pulls around late.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Dual Ladder
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2007, 06:08:57 PM »
the only concern with a bracket I can see is the amount of bases needed to have that many concurrent fights going on.

you don't want to have guys just sitting around for a long time getting bored.

Imagine if oh.... 75 people showed up?

would you do 2 brackets like the NCAA tourney?

who chooses which side someone is on?

will someone whine "I got put in a bracket with XXXX and that guy YYYY had a total n00b bracket" ?

If this IS a sponsored event, all duels taking place in 1 arena on 1 day starting at oh 12:00 EST you can imagine there may be alot of people who pop in just to check it out.

what about odd numbers? does someone get a "bye" ?

just some concerns. the old ladders were that, ladders. it would take a month to get some real results. if you were to set up a real ladder with challenges and what not, it should have some "in game" implementation IMHO. you log into an arena and get a pop up "you have been challenged by XXX" or something. a scoring page would also be needed.
I don't know what to put here yet.