Author Topic: Getting someone OFF Your six  (Read 2067 times)

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
Getting someone OFF Your six
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2007, 11:58:55 AM »
youre too kind redtop, and too modest we learn from each other :)

CAP, its just timing. practice reversals by getting shot down. after a while you will avoid certain attacks and learn the timing there. then after a long time you have been shot down in almost everyway possible, you should slowly start to recognise certain situations earlier, and be in a possition to effectively counter them through your experience.

to be bait is easy, to be bait and survive is the challenge. once you have started making a few reversals and 'baited' a few high cons to their death.....you may never feel compelled to play the 'who can grab more altitude' game again.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2007, 12:46:15 PM »
The overshoot is one of my main ways to get kills.  I like the idea of having the con come to me and put himself in a bad position.  He's at least somewhat predictable, which is a bad thing for him.  If he's attacking me I know right where he wants to be, and can use that info to help set him up.  That's the greed factor at work.  He want's to kill me.

As he realizes he's going to miss his shot, he will often pull hard in a last ditch effort to score a hit.  That helps slow him down for me.  As he realizes he's going to end up in front of me, he often tries to slow down quickly.  That won't stop him from overshooting, but will make him nice and slow after he goes by me.  If he's a little too fast for me to hit, I spray a bit so he see's tracers and dodges, or feels committed and tries to break turn back into me.  That's the fear factor at work.  He doesn't want to get kilt.

Greed and fear.  Those two emotions will get you in trouble.

Another thing to keep in mind is the mindset of all the people giving advice so far.  They are all viewing the guy behind them as a kill, not a killer.  Even though they may be out front in a "vulnerable" position, they are "setting up" the bad guy, and allowing / making him react to THEIR manuevers.  The guy out front is "leading" the fight, while the guy on their six is "reacting" to them.  The guy in a fight who is "reacting" is a step behind the leader.  That's bad when the leader has guns too.  You want to lead or dictate the fight, not let the other guy do it.  If you feel like the "defender" in a fight, you are a step behind (or two or three).

It all starts with SA (Situational Awareness).  Look ALL around you, ALL the time.  Even in the middle of a fight I'm glancing around.  If you "find" someone on your six, you've already screwed up.  You're a step behind already.  If you ever find yourself a little peeved because you didn't get a check six, you lack SA.  If you get "Check Six'ed" BEFORE you already knew there was an "issue" developing near you, you lack SA.  If you don't know what the friendlies are flying near you, and how their fight will likely develop, you are lacking in SA.  What direction is "safety"?

I get check six'ed alot.  I appreciate it alot.  NOT because they are telling me to check my six, but because it means the friendlies around me are paying attention (displaying SA).  The only time I get check six'ed before I'm well aware of what's going on is when I'm reading a book (which I do alot while playing).  Those are the times I'm likely to die.

Timing varies on the overshoot manuever by several factors.  Closure rate is what I go by.  You don't want to wait too long, or you get killed when you initiate the manuever.  Starting too soon is just as bad.  It "shows your hand" and makes YOU predictable.  I generally start my set-up when the con is 1000-1.5K behind for an overshoot.  I alter how tight I turn to "fine tune" the timing.

Another way to tell if your being "led" as you sneak up on someones six, is to see where they are leading you.  Is the fight running mostly north/south?  Is the guy who seems to not see you dragging you out east or west all by himself?  Is he seperating you from help?  Is he in an F4U?  Did he "****" one wing down a tad as you closed to 1.2 or 2k, as if he's watching you over his shoulder?  Is he letting you catch him, even though you are in a slower plane?  If your "warning bells" aren't ringing, you are in trouble.

You can learn from getting shot down- but only if you can figure out how/why it happened.

MtnMan
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2007, 12:50:45 PM »
LOL!  I got moderated!  Substitute the word "tilt" where you see the "****".

LOL, too funny!

Apparently the censors thought I was refering to the male anatomy!

MtnMan
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2007, 12:57:57 PM »
I never thought of it that way mtnman. The one being chased is leading the fight. Thanks for the advice I'll try this out.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2007, 02:47:33 PM »
MT hit the nail on the head...attitude is 90% of the battle. While many of us may never reach the elite level of kitty or greebo you can go along way just thinking "right". If you look at the various quotes in robert shaws book all point to the value of mindset. Two that immediately come to mind are prominantly displayed...

paraphrasing here....

"There are two kinds of planes, fighters and targets" {this is the biggest key to success in the A-20, Mossie or similiar bird}, I may die but I'm sure not a "target".

"Better a MIG on my six then no MIG at all" Sums up kitty and greebo quite nicely I think. Once you view the guy on your 6 as a "target" the whole world changes...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2007, 08:59:29 PM »
was searching the web for some combat maneuvers and came across this site. This guy sums up basicly everything you need to know to survive in the virtual skies and makes a good point about everything.

http://www.sci.fi/~fta/acmintro.htm

NOTE: when you get to Chapter 4: defensive BFM skip the "How to dodge a missle: part unless you seem to be shot at by HVAR's alot.:D

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2007, 09:28:08 PM »
certainly has some good fundemental overviews but also seems to have some basic errors. For one the lift vector is not 90 degree's up on any plane (to the best of my knowledge)...however its easiest way to visualize it (and it is close to 90 degrees). 3-1 is fundementally wrong as well...he's creating a 2-d world. A simple lag turn or hi yoyo works just fine. Further although the term "flying to the elbow" is generally regarded as coming from pilots "hand fighting" showing combat scenarios...the term was used by robert johnson and many jug and 51 drivers as the term for an out of plane lag roll attack that used roll & Rudder to gain lead on a breaking bandit...it was in fact Johnsons favorite attack...

in fact this will get you killed every time IMO...

"Rate Kills" is a common fighter saying. Simply put, a fighter with a higher turn rate can out maneuver a fighter with a tighter Turn Radius. The ability to put your nose on the bandit to allow a shot is more important that being able to fly in a tighter circle. Get to your Corner Velocity, pull your nose on him, shoot him … the party is over, you win. You no longer have to worry about him.

Alot of good info is presented but from my perspective not in a way that will help you in AH or any "guns only" fight. For example "corner velocity" is a good way to get killed...it is important (if you dont know the doghouse chart for your favorite ride your at a disagvantage)....but only at the right time and if yours beats his. If the other guy has a "better" corner velocity does that mean you blow up if he "hits" it. Everybody here is blessed with what is easily the best training cadre ever assembled for a flight sim.

From what I read this guy might be the missle "ace of aces" but he'd be hard pressed here....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2007, 04:52:22 PM »
Originally posted by mtnman
The overshoot is one of my main ways to get kills.  I like the idea of having the con come to me and put himself in a bad position.  He's at least somewhat predictable, which is a bad thing for him.  If he's attacking me I know right where he wants to be, and can use that info to help set him up.  That's the greed factor at work.  He want's to kill me.

As he realizes he's going to miss his shot, he will often pull hard in a last ditch effort to score a hit.  That helps slow him down for me.  As he realizes he's going to end up in front of me, he often tries to slow down quickly.  That won't stop him from overshooting, but will make him nice and slow after he goes by me.  If he's a little too fast for me to hit, I spray a bit so he see's tracers and dodges, or feels committed and tries to break turn back into me.  That's the fear factor at work.  He doesn't want to get kilt.

Greed and fear.  Those two emotions will get you in trouble.

Another thing to keep in mind is the mindset of all the people giving advice so far.  They are all viewing the guy behind them as a kill, not a killer.  Even though they may be out front in a "vulnerable" position, they are "setting up" the bad guy, and allowing / making him react to THEIR manuevers.  The guy out front is "leading" the fight, while the guy on their six is "reacting" to them.  The guy in a fight who is "reacting" is a step behind the leader.  That's bad when the leader has guns too.  You want to lead or dictate the fight, not let the other guy do it.  If you feel like the "defender" in a fight, you are a step behind (or two or three).

It all starts with SA (Situational Awareness).  Look ALL around you, ALL the time.  Even in the middle of a fight I'm glancing around.  If you "find" someone on your six, you've already screwed up.  You're a step behind already.  If you ever find yourself a little peeved because you didn't get a check six, you lack SA.  If you get "Check Six'ed" BEFORE you already knew there was an "issue" developing near you, you lack SA.  If you don't know what the friendlies are flying near you, and how their fight will likely develop, you are lacking in SA.  What direction is "safety"?

I get check six'ed alot.  I appreciate it alot.  NOT because they are telling me to check my six, but because it means the friendlies around me are paying attention (displaying SA).  The only time I get check six'ed before I'm well aware of what's going on is when I'm reading a book (which I do alot while playing).  Those are the times I'm likely to die.

Timing varies on the overshoot manuever by several factors.  Closure rate is what I go by.  You don't want to wait too long, or you get killed when you initiate the manuever.  Starting too soon is just as bad.  It "shows your hand" and makes YOU predictable.  I generally start my set-up when the con is 1000-1.5K behind for an overshoot.  I alter how tight I turn to "fine tune" the timing.

Another way to tell if your being "led" as you sneak up on someones six, is to see where they are leading you.  Is the fight running mostly north/south?  Is the guy who seems to not see you dragging you out east or west all by himself?  Is he seperating you from help?  Is he in an F4U?  Did he "****" one wing down a tad as you closed to 1.2 or 2k, as if he's watching you over his shoulder?  Is he letting you catch him, even though you are in a slower plane?  If your "warning bells" aren't ringing, you are in trouble.

You can learn from getting shot down- but only if you can figure out how/why it happened.

MtnMan

i have to say.....i've been reading a LOT of informative posts in here lately, both in reply to some of my questions and others......your replies though are almost ALWAYS very particular in their wording...as if you were an instructor.....this makes them more easily understood, and also creates an understanding of why you do what you do.

htank ya sir!

<>

john
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2007, 01:25:10 PM »
Thanks for the compliment John!  

I think you caught me.  I have been an instructor for some activities in my lifetime that required very specific wording to get my point across.  I started with teaching field sports at a Boy Scout camp (archery, shotgun, rifle, and muzzleloading), and then shifted into directing a high ropes course for four years.  I also worked on my teaching certification, but didn't complete it.  

As the director of the high ropes course (an obstacle course up in the trees and on telephone poles) I was responsible for the fun and safety of several hundred people each year that were aged 14 and up.  People that are up 35-50 feet above the ground have a tendancy to be fearful and need very clear, simple to follow / understand instructions.  Imagine being on a small platform 150 feet away from your "student" and explaining to them how to tie a knot so that it is tied correctly.  Death is a possible outcome if it's not done right.  We did practice on the ground, but people forget things under stress.

I got real good at "reading" people, and being able to tell if they understood what I was saying, or if I needed to re-phrase it.

MtnMan
MtnMan

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2007, 05:26:43 AM »
In a p38g vs a spit16 at 1000...i would chop throttle and climb for a sec adding sideslip..flip over and barrel-roll trying at all costs to get that first notch of flap out,then firewall it...then u got a chance.If he tries to turn with you he's playing into your hand..or if he's smart he'll hit wep and goes verticle and come back around for another pass at an advantage...but heck,u got him off your 6 for a bit..maybe see if u can goad him into a flap fite or switch tactics on him....HO if shot presents itself.Your in for a tough fite though if he's a good stik.
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Sweet2th

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: Getting someone OFF Your six
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2007, 10:25:38 AM »
Originally posted by Latrobe
I have been playing Aces High for over a year now and have learned some good tactics to use in dogfights. Recently I have noticed that i die the most when I'm in a 1on1 and the enemy gets on my tail. I'm fairly good when I have a wingman that can help me out even in a 2on2. Out of all I know I don't really know any good tactics to make them overshoot so I can get on their six. Can someone teach me some good maneuvers to get someone off my six in a 1 on 1?

I have a film for you showing some of the basic evasive manuvers.I was fighting a Yak-9-U and a N1K.The film is only 7 minutes long due to the fact that i didn't start recording until 1/2 way through the fight.

Big $S$ too QQuartr & Drdedeye

The biggest goes to Batfink for hosting it, thanks Mate !:aok

http://www.freeroleentertainment.com/film7_0002.ahf