Author Topic: Talk about Having Your Hands full, in a dogfight  (Read 3910 times)

Offline Sled

• Gold Member
      • Friday Squad Operations
Talk about Having Your Hands full, in a dogfight
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2007, 07:14:52 PM »
Just watched film. a great fight, nice flying by both of you. I also find it hard to believe that the F4U-1 could have performed like that in RL. but maybe, I don't know. I do know this, the KI-84 in AH weighs in at about 7600# with 50% fuel. The f4U-1 is about 11500# with 50% fuel. But watching that video, the f4 looks like it weighs less than the KI.

The KI-84 is one of my main rides, I consider myself better than average in it. what I see from it in the film, looks about right. I know when you get it slow and full flaps, it is an incredible turner.

I also noticed that the Ki was flying a larger cork screw around the F4, while the F4 seemed to generally be flying slower and in a tighter pattern. I also see at one point the f4 is at 34MPH, with it's nose slightly high and upside down. I live in Alaska, and have flown several different types of small AC. I would doubt that a Super cub (PA-12) could preform like that, with out stalling out and falling a couple hundred feet. And it only weighs about 1500#

Just some of my thoughts.

:aok
~Sled~                 Aces High Special Events
USMC/71sqn
      XO               What Aces High is really all about.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2007, 08:23:15 PM »
Originally posted by SLED
Just watched film. a great fight, nice flying by both of you. I also find it hard to believe that the F4U-1 could have performed like that in RL. but maybe, I don't know.
I also noticed that the Ki was flying a larger cork screw around the F4, while the F4 seemed to generally be flying slower and in a tighter pattern. I also see at one point the f4 is at 34MPH, with it's nose slightly high and upside down. I live in Alaska, and have flown several different types of small AC. I would doubt that a Super cub (PA-12) could preform like that, with out stalling out and falling a couple hundred feet. And it only weighs about 1500#

think about it for a minute or 2, at the times I am inverted regardless if the nose is pointed upward or downward, I was infact stalling, and I was also dropping back down toward the ground and losing alt,  if you are tempted to watch it again, think about it, youo can see the alt loss, and you can also see me at times over correcting and trying to retain controlled flight and not actually snapping it into a spinf of death...

thats was one reason I titled this thread the way I did.......

I still will tell people this is not how to fly the F4U or even fly the Ki84 for that matter...... I could have just as easily flown more to the F4U-s abilitys and stayed fast  and hoped to get maha somewhere in the 200 to 250 range of speed, highly doubtful though from some of the things I have seen maha do in the 15 to 20 run-ins we have encountered.... one of the reasons I got this slow in the first place was to try and figure out who maha used to be  known by his / her other gameid......

I am still not buying into the fact that maha claims  maha has only been here less than 6 months and flew IL-2 and WB before.......:D

Sled, I was stalling, I was dropping and losing alt, I just was able ( barely ) to keep and sometimes lose but quickly regain control of the plane.....and again it is fun to get into this long drawn out in close fights where both are fighting hard to refuse a shot for the other player yet gain a shot for yourself :aok

I might have mentioned it before, but one thing I like to do or use to do often is to see how far I can get a plane to tail slide ( climb per vertical and get to "0" on the mph gauge and then let it slide down as if thrown in Reverse,  or climb pure vertical and as u are coming down in a tail slide stomp the rudder and let the air slapping that big rudder snap the nose around in a blink of an eye.....  when flying slow like that you get to a point where gravity takes over and you just fall, learning to do a controlled fall and regain flight  is part of learning what you can accomplish in these "cartoon planes"

actually had a pretty good one against Slash27 the other night, he didn't fall for the scissors at all and worked me in the vertical.the fight wasn't as drawn out, but never the less it was much enjoyable.....I lost that fight too .hehe

but slash and I both really enjoyed "the fight" itself moe than the outcome or more than who won or lose...

~SALUTE~
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Sled

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2007, 08:44:01 PM »
The film viewer doesn't do Justis to what you were having to do to keep control. But it is all I have to look at, and from what I see your f4 was quite controlled even at very low speeds. I am guessing it was not so.
USMC/71sqn

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2007, 10:39:07 AM »
No offence to anyone but the F4Us are redicilus.  There is a reason a lot of people have switched to flying them (SkyRock, SHawk, Dedalos, etc).  In AH1 I realy sucked however, F4Us were always a welcome sight since it meant that I would actually get a kill. Now I pay more attention to them thatn I do to spits and 0s. The new F4Us are performing like a SpitV / spit 16 hybrid (- the exceleration) sometimes.  Yeah, I know TC you have not noticed any changes :p

The Ki has one big problem when you get into a really slow fight with an F4U or anything else for that matter.  As you are rolling, the Ki picks up enough speed on the way down for the flaps to autoretract.  That is enough for the F4U to get the kill on it.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Sled

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2007, 10:46:18 AM »
Yes throttle work is very important in the Ki-84.
USMC/71sqn

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2007, 11:14:54 AM »
I got a pm asking for this film to be reposted, since the new updated film viewer allows you to hear your own engine and see more stuff going on in the film.....

will see if I can dig the film up and re-post it......
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2007, 12:21:33 PM »
Any luck with this?

I was watching a film in another thread with the new viewer and it makes a huge difference.

I'd really like to see that fight again in the enhanced version.
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2007, 11:51:50 AM »
Originally posted by toonces3
Any luck with this?

I was watching a film in another thread with the new viewer and it makes a huge difference.

I'd really like to see that fight again in the enhanced version.

will see if I can get that AH flying friend of mine to host it for me again  toonces

EDIT:  ok Toonces3 and the others who have PM'ed me, the original Link to the film is working on the very 1st post of this thread.......

hope you enjoy it.......
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 01:31:11 PM by TequilaChaser »

Offline Geophro

• Copper Member
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2007, 09:17:36 PM »
Thanks.
Very intense fight.
Boy do I have a long way to go.
I must have watched that 20 times from all different viewpoints and still don't see how either of you did some of that stuff.
!
Jephro
Dying as Geophro Tour 91-Tour 104
Getting kills is easy.  Earning kills is better.

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2007, 09:44:14 PM »
TC:

I was impressed over and over not just with your control precision (which has intimidated me forever) but especially with your PATIENCE. So many times I would have pulled just a scootch harder for the shot, when you knew the shot just wasnt there...and I would have gone over the envelope's edge into disaster. (In fact, I do that quite often!) Over and over the temptation was there, where the shot was just barely out of reach...but you listened to the feel of the plane and stayed out of trouble.

Totally impressive from both of you. A real pleasure to see two great sticks go at it! Thanks for posting!
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
Re: Talk about Having Your Hands full, in a dogfight
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2008, 11:49:17 PM »
Sorry for the bump (yes I know I suck) but I was linked here from another thread, and was wondering, TC, do you still have the film that you could upload again?
2sBlind

Offline Chemdawg

• Copper Member
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2008, 07:13:33 AM »
Dude...I would love to see this film, buuuuutttttt....... link doesn't work. Anybody already have it and could PLEASE send it my way :rolleyes:

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2008, 07:37:11 AM »
Did it have a happy ending?

:D
Link seems broken... get a CANNOT FIND PAGE error :cry
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!
Elite: Dangerous ~ Cmd Odeed

http://www.luxlibertas.com/

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2008, 11:05:29 PM »
Sorry for the bump (yes I know I suck) but I was linked here from another thread, and was wondering, TC, do you still have the film that you could upload again?

Heya Donkey,

I'll check and see if batfink or Badboy still have it..........and if one of them could re-host it for me again......if not I still have it on my old pc..........will post here when it is up on the web  for download.......

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2008, 03:06:59 PM »
Heya Donkey,

I'll check and see if batfink or Badboy still have it..........and if one of them could re-host it for me again......if not I still have it on my old pc..........will post here when it is up on the web  for download.......

here is the new link to the file/film you asked to see Donkey ( others )  this link will not go dead, for I have loaded it into my personal FTP space on the Trainers website/ftp site

http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/files/tc/AvsAjuly29th2007_mahaKi84vsTCf4u1_10minutefight.ahf

hope it might be of value to someone, or at least be enjoyable to watch