Author Topic: Idea to encourage returning home alive  (Read 3273 times)

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
Idea to encourage returning home alive
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2001, 12:03:00 PM »
You can leave the Bomber Hangars up, but kill the ammo bunkers and fuel tanks.[/QUOTE]

SWulfe, do you know what an IL2 is??

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2001, 12:05:00 PM »
Honestly... now you are just looking for excuses.

Then bomb all the bomber hangars down. No IL2s.
-SW

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2001, 12:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pepe:
Toad,
This thread relates to a perhaps too simple (and in your eyes, wrong) way of encouraging flying to live... I am not supporting the minute delay to favour field capture.

If that is the focus, your proposed solution does not deal with the situation that Mickey and DMF pointed out higher in the thread. It's easier to auger and re-up in one minute than it is to fly 5 minutes to get home and rearm.

I do that a lot, unless I'm flying with the squad (Rude is such a despot!  ;) ). Out of ammo? Auger, re-up, get back in a fight sooner. Sorry, I just don't place any importance on landing or stats. I know that must disappoint you but hey, I'm just playing a game here.

Originally posted by Mandoble:
My point is that the efforts needed to take a base are absolutelly enormous compared to the efforts needed to defend it in the wrong way, respawning.

Bottom line Mandoble, this is a Gameplay issue. HTC recently made field capture tougher by dispersing hangars and other things. This happened after numerous BBS threads about base capture being too easy. Prior to the last revision you could kill two FH's with 3k just by dropping to hit between two close ones.

You apparently focus on one issue, respawn, now saying THAT makes capture too hard. As Deja pointed out, all you need do is kill the FH's. Carbombing? Take a moment and nail the ammo sheds.

HTC has provided the tools; use them or not, your choice.

You do still want HTC to encourage strategy, tactics and cooperation among players do you not?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2001, 12:29:00 PM »
Also, you're telling me that out of 6 planes, one of you can't vulch that single pilot that keeps spawning an IL-2?   ;)
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline grizz

• Copper Member
« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2001, 12:51:00 PM »
Here's a film of a mission field capture with 6 attackers and a goon. It's all about timing.
 Field Capture with 7 or Less

I'm not sure how imposing a "time out" for the defenders would have helped either them or us.

The problem I saw while flying in the MA was a bomber or two leveling a field then calling for a goon to come help. By the time a goon got there half the field is up and the goon gets shot down.

As for the original post, the ability to stay alive is already instilled in the game. You choose to return or not. I have no trouble going on a lone fighter sweep and returning home if I so choose. And I suck. Just as Cit.   :)

(edit:  Stupid UBB code  :) )

[ 07-10-2001: Message edited by: grizz ]

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2001, 01:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by Nifty:
Also, you're telling me that out of 6 planes, one of you can't vulch that single pilot that keeps spawning an IL-2?    ;)

Three of these six planes are in the buff category: LANCS + Goon for example.
So we have 3 fighters (one for hi alt CAP) with no unlimited ammo free to vulch.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2001, 03:01:00 PM »
2 lancs = 2 4000 lbers and 20 1000 lbers correct?   that's 2 hangars from the 4000 eggs, and 6 hangars from the 1000 eggs plus 2 1000lbs left over for other things.

According to Thunder's map, a small field as 5 hangars (counting the VH)  I think 2 lancs have enough to take out all the hangars, so if your low cap fighter runs out of ammo vulching, you can level the last BH if you want.  2 B17's have enough payload to level a small field as well (edit, well, if they carry 1000lbers no, one hangar will be left if you assume 3 1000lbrs per hangar, you'd need one of the fighters to jabo the VH).

2 Lancs can even close hangars out at a medium field (8 total hangars via Thunder's maps, 4 FH, 3 BH, 1 VH)

Point most of us are trying to make is that base captures aren't supposed to be easy.  It CAN be done with a small number of people, but it won't be done EVERY time it's attempted.

[ 07-10-2001: Message edited by: Nifty ]
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2001, 04:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by MANDOBLE:

So we have 3 fighters (one for hi alt CAP) with no unlimited ammo free to vulch.

Hell all ya gotta do is make sure at least one of those fighters is a F4U1-C and you got it made.   :D

Offline Pepe

• Silver Member
« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2001, 01:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by Toad:

If that is the focus, your proposed solution does not deal with the situation that Mickey and DMF pointed out higher in the thread. It's easier to auger and re-up in one minute than it is to fly 5 minutes to get home and rearm.

I do that a lot, unless I'm flying with the squad (Rude is such a despot!  ). Out of ammo? Auger, re-up, get back in a fight sooner. Sorry, I just don't place any importance on landing or stats. I know that must disappoint you but hey, I'm just playing a game here.

Toad,

That was the initial post intention  :)  (Dunno how it degenerated into the Base capture thingy...I guess BBS gremlins  ;)). If you are in a hurry to reup, use the refuelling spots on the attacked airfield. Being a Stop-and-go, much faster to refuel than respawning. In the end, if you stay alive, you could be faster in the air.

I promise there was no hidden agenda on my post, and you can blame the capture thingy on "collateral BBS casualties".

Btw, I think the genuine, ultimate solution in this sense is what you say in your first post. It's just that we would have to perk RAM (the memory, I mean)   :D

Cheers,

Pepe