Author Topic: AH HA SEA  (Read 1751 times)

JENG

AH HA SEA
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2000, 10:35:00 PM »
I had a ball   It realy is a rush and the pucker factor goes up like a saturn V  

Best to describe what it is like if to tell bout my sorties...

I left my JG2 buddies to even out the numbers so I flew allied (knight).

First sortie I am chasing two dots (not identified) in an LA5... when I get shot by jagdnine in a spit. He tell's me he's sorry but that the LA5 is a dark plane and not easy to make out from a 109 or 190 if you dive in at speed  

2nd sortie I take a spit (big elliptical wings so easy to mark out as allied) I take off from 14 and head NE... constant weaving to check 6 and look below. After 10 min I see tracers very low on the deck so I go down to investigate... suddenly the tracers disapear but I see a dark sillouette and  settle on it's low 6. Closer closer... I'm pos on the ID but miscalculate my closurerate so I skid violantly to lose speed then he breaks... I follow him and rip his wing. (without the skid I would have surprised him totaly). I settle back in a climbing pattern when at 12 K I spot a dot lvl. I dive below it but he spots me and goes up.. I am now close enough to see it's not white (pony) double tailed (FTD) or elliptical (spit) so I chase him. Suddenly I see tracers fly by I push the stick and hit full left rudder... the guy overshoots and I see a HUGE 109 (big crosses  ) I'm lining up for him when to my total amasement the 109 that overshot begins shooting at the other 109  ... I rip up the overshooting 109 and then finish the other one... On my way back to base I get zoomed by a pony and a FTD checking me out (didn't see them) glad to know the guys had good eyes (big monitors) to see I was friendly  

A big <S> to all the guys flying there and specialy to AMMO (he was the 109 that overshot me  )

BEE

ps: you'll see me alot in there  

Offline PropNut

• Copper Member
AH HA SEA
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2000, 10:59:00 PM »
Yes  I must say it was incredible fun    I found that I was using my zoom mode to ident some planes.  Very exciting. The only thing is I would like to see Icons actually shut off so no one is tempted    all in all I give it 2 thumbs up .

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
AH HA SEA
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2000, 02:38:00 AM »
Great story Bee!  You must be suicidal to fly alone in a no-icons athmosphere!  

Camo

------------------
Camouflage
XO, Lentolaivue 34
 www.muodos.fi/LLv34

"The really good pilots use their superior judgement to keep them out of situations
where they might be required to demonstrate their superior skill."
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
AH HA SEA
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2000, 02:53:00 AM »
GRAAAAAAAAAAH

I missed out!

Guess I am afraid of learning jsut how much I depend on icons.

Lemme know when you do it next time, I am in!

------------------
StSanta
II/JG2

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
AH HA SEA
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2000, 03:24:00 AM »
you know it HBlair!

no Icons is fantastic and works great at 1600x1200 on a 19 inch monitor  
I know the most exciting fights I have had are with Icons off

it seems like many of the advocates for no Icons hold a pilots certificate, maybe they know somthing about looking for airplanes in the big sky and how hard they can sometimes be to see.  

however it takes a large monitor and hi resolution but it's pretty damn close to realistic.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

funked

AH HA SEA
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2000, 03:28:00 AM »
Ra:  I agree 100%.  I hate icons, but some kind of aid is need to bridge the gap between little specks on my screen and what one can see in a real fighter.

Here's what a fighter pilot had to say on the subject:  http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/Smileys/default/Forum1/HTML/002920.html

Matches pretty closely what other fighter pilots have stated in print.

Offline pzvg

• Zinc Member
AH HA SEA
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2000, 06:38:00 AM »
Having been one of the main guys in the WB HA back when I flew WB, I like no icons,it's much more real to me. Having said that, 'tho
guys, I will caution you. Do not fall into the HA trap, don't tell people things like you don't like it KMA, you don't ever,ever win converts by being insulting, and let's lose the "real pilots fly HA" kind of attitude also this is a sim, and frankly, your ability to get a 172 airborne IRL has no real relation to that easy chair you're sitting in right now, kapisch? Every single one of us does things in this sim that would horrify combat aircrew, know it folks I do things here I never did IRL, (as evidenced by the fact that I'm still here) So let's tell folks how much fun it is to actually surprise a target, let's get folks in here, instead of creating another HA ghosttown.

------------------
pzvg- "5 years and I still can't shoot"

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
AH HA SEA
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2000, 06:44:00 AM »
Sorry but I agree with ra.

He knows what he's talking about, and that is exactly what the Warbirds HA turned into.

In real life the ground is not a homongenous texture set (we have what... 6 different textures?) that is endlessly repeated, using the same basic colors, which causes the problems he outlined.

My personal preferences were the Scenario Light (SL) settings in Warbirds. It was a nice middle ground. I don't remember now what the exact settings were now, but you got a little of both worlds.

But hey guys... if you enjoy it, go for it  

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure
"Real Men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires"

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
AH HA SEA
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2000, 07:06:00 AM »
pzvg,
Good points, and well taken.  

I only brought up the 172 as it relates to identifying dots at 4.5 miles and how the icons give you way more info than you can discern in R/L.  I did not mean it any other way.  I was not making a statement about a 172 and flying in my easy chair.  I agree with you on that!

No system is perfect, so I guess its to each his own what we feel is fun.

It is fun in there.  For some because it seems more immersive, for others because it is a change of pace.  

I guess I would say if you try it and have fun then thats ok.  If you try and don't have fun then that's ok too.

But at least its fun to try something different.

I do think there can be a middle ground somewhere with the icon system.

Cobra

[This message has been edited by Cobra (edited 05-17-2000).]