Author Topic: Cant get much higher than 10,000 feet?  (Read 387 times)

Offline Jojo94

• Zinc Member
Cant get much higher than 10,000 feet?
« on: August 14, 2007, 12:12:55 PM »
Hey guys, new to the game

I have a problem, with any fighter I use. After I take off, I try to climb. I use full throttle and then put on WEP. When That's done, I try to climb to 15,000 or above. But instead, I get a buzzing noise and my plane shudders.

Also, when I dogfight, if my enemy is below me, I dive. I do this by rolling over and then pull up on the stick. I still get a buzzing noise. If I let the buzzing noise become a shudder, It stalls and I cant recover. Can someone please Help me? I generally use the Corsair or the A6M5b

Thanks

Jojo

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 12:23:46 PM »
The buzzing noise is your stall buzzer. You need to check your airspeed. Most planes are going to climb best around 150mph on the speedometer. That's the white needle, not the red one.

You nose high and you're going to stall. You have to lower the rate of climb as you go up. Try this, when you are level, engage "ALT X" -- this is speed climb. The speed is set every time you take off to your plane's best average climb speed. [EDIT: If you're below the best climb speed it will nose down until you have enough speed and then begin climbing]

This is often called "auto climb" and it will hold you on course as it climbs.

When you roll over to dive, you may be too slow. If you're already stalling out (i.e. you pulled your nose up high in order to dive down on them) you may have to ease up on the stick. Gentle movements. In some planes the elevator authority is VERY strong. You have to moderate how you pull on the stick. If you roll over and it stalls as you pull back (diving down) you need to pull back more gently, or begin the manuver with more speed.

There are trainers in the TA that you can get together with. They can help you find out how to avoid the stall, how to avoid spins (probably what you experienced) and to get out of stalls or spins.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Cant get much higher than 10,000 feet?
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 01:55:45 PM »
Originally posted by Jojo94

I have a problem, with any fighter I use. After I take off, I try to climb. I use full throttle and then put on WEP. When That's done, I try to climb to 15,000 or above. But instead, I get a buzzing noise and my plane shudders.

Also, when I dogfight, if my enemy is below me, I dive. I do this by rolling over and then pull up on the stick. I still get a buzzing noise. If I let the buzzing noise become a shudder, It stalls and I cant recover. Can someone please Help me? I generally use the Corsair or the A6M5b

Thanks

Jojo

You're exceeding your AoA, which is causing you to enter into an accelerated stall.  Ease back on the stick some.  When you exceed your Angle of Attack, air flow ceases over the wings and you will stall.  This can happen at any speed if you exceed your AoA.  Use the stall buzzer to ride the edge, the louder the buzzing sound, the closer to the edge you are.  Practice riding the edge of an accelerated stall and you'll be able to avoid it and you'll learn the signs of an impending stall so you can counteract to avoid it.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Cant get much higher than 10,000 feet?
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 02:15:10 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
You're exceeding your AoA, which is causing you to enter into an accelerated stall.  

...um...also, make sure that you're raising your wheels after you take off.

- oldman (hey, it's just the kind of mistake I often make)

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 02:30:04 PM »
Are you raising the gear and flaps?

The buzzing is the stall warning horn

Sounds like you need a trip to the TA, lots of folks there can get you on the right track.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: Cant get much higher than 10,000 feet?
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 04:11:29 PM »
Originally posted by Jojo94

1)the buzzing you hear is your stall horn. it doesn't tell you the engine's about to quit, but rather it tells you that the wing is abot to stop producing lift(stall). you're probaly trying to climb out too steeply. when you first take off, let your speed build to at least 150, then pitch nose up a few degrees.....most aircraft in here can maintain 2,000fpm to 3,000fpm at around 200, but you have to let it get there first.

2)you might wanna spend a bit of time in the training arena with a trainer......or just go in and politly ask for help.....most of the time someone'll offer to help ya. what's happening in your above statement though is again the wing stalling. if you're going fast enough, then you're pulling too hard and exceeding the critical angle of attack. all that means is that the air can'f flow smoothly accross the wing. again.......practice in the training arena......you'll be surprised what ya learn there.......and soon enough, you'll learn to ride that stall horn too..........

good luck

<>

john

Thanks

Jojo
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)