Author Topic: Im a head on Fighter, And need some advice!  (Read 1644 times)

Offline Austox

• Zinc Member
Im a head on Fighter, And need some advice!
« on: August 21, 2007, 12:09:54 AM »
ok, when i play aces high, o always love the head on shoot-off. after me and another pilot do a head on pass, i continue straight while they turn and loose speed. once im a good 2k ahead of them, i turn around for another head on pass. what is the best plane for this?

I have had a lot of success in the tempest, lately, andi landed 10 kills in 1 in 8 player at the tiny map.

I also really LOVE the p51d, but its not going do well with my tactics. is there a way i can improve with this, or should i stick with the tempest?

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 01:06:35 AM »
Stick with the Tempest,  LA7,  Niki, Hurri 2c,  190 A8 (all guns) or F4U 1C hog,

What all these planes have in common is ALOT of cannon you should be able to line up your enemy and hold the trigger down as soon as they are 1000 out.  Then if your good at it they should explode or be broken before they Ram you.

Hope this helps in your search for perfecting the HO.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 01:15:41 AM »
I personally hate the HO. Whenever I'm in a Head-On situation I wait till im 1.0K out and roll hard. 99% of the time they miss and I can just pull around onto their six.

The planes Bruv listed are the best HO planes. If you get a pm from the guy you killed saying "you're a HO dweeb" or something like that, then you've done your job. The Head-On is part of a Dogfight and they will just have to live with it.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 01:59:57 AM »
Fly any plane with big cannons (preferably a fast plane).  Set convergence to maximum and open fire at D800.  With the 190's you'll have to get out 3-3.5K before your turn.

This is not going to make you a very popular guy.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline DAVENRINO

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 03:26:28 AM »
Does anyone else smell bait?;)
DAVE aka DJ229-AIR MAFIA
CH USB HOTAS/ONKYO 705 7.2 SURROUND SOUND/ 60" SONY A3000 SXRD  TV

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 05:22:50 AM »
stinky
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Im a head on Fighter, And need some advice!
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 06:38:49 AM »
Originally posted by Austox
what is the best plane for this?

Probably most would agree that the C.202 is the best plane for this.  Consider using the option that gives you an extra two 7.7 machine guns, although they will severely reduce your plane's performance.

Both the Spit I or the Hurricane I will be good for this, too.  Each of them has eight guns, more than any other fighter plane in AH2.

- oldman

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: Re: Im a head on Fighter, And need some advice!
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 06:49:02 AM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
Probably most would agree that the C.202 is the best plane for this.  Consider using the option that gives you an extra two 7.7 machine guns, although they will severely reduce your plane's performance.

Both the Spit I or the Hurricane I will be good for this, too.  Each of them has eight guns, more than any other fighter plane in AH2.

- oldman

excellent reply oldman, I forgot about the C202, spit1 and hurri 1.......must been the answer before my 1st cup of coffee syndrome....:)
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Re: Im a head on Fighter, And need some advice!
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 08:02:10 AM »
Originally posted by Austox
ok, when i play aces high, o always love the head on shoot-off. after me and another pilot do a head on pass, i continue straight while they turn and loose speed. once im a good 2k ahead of them, i turn around for another head on pass. what is the best plane for this?

I have had a lot of success in the tempest, lately, andi landed 10 kills in 1 in 8 player at the tiny map.

I also really LOVE the p51d, but its not going do well with my tactics. is there a way i can improve with this, or should i stick with the tempest?

Best plane for these tactics is the PanzerMK4.  No sound advice for this type of request, seeing as how you are trolling.

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline gusman

• Nickel Member
Re: Re: Im a head on Fighter, And need some advice!
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 09:53:26 AM »
Hey Austox,

Listen to Oldman as he is one of the most respected pilots in AH. One thing he forgot to mention is set your convergence to 100. Also when fighting Head On  it's best to start firing when you are about 1.5k from your prey. Any later then that and you might come into range of your opponents guns

Originally posted by Oldman731

- oldman

:aok

Cheers,
gusman44

Lt Cdr gus
801 Squadron FAA
Squadron XO

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 09:55:03 AM »
Originally posted by Honch
Honch’s Guide to HO’ing

#1 Use a plane with 50 cals.  Do not fear the heavy cannon planes like 190s and Typhoons. A 20mm, 30mm or 37mm cannon does no damage if it never hits you and if you follow the steps below they wont.

#2 Turn off tracers – so the other pilot won’t know when you start shooting.

#3 Set your convergences to the maximum distance allowed on your 50-cal plane of choice.

#4 To set up the shot, enter a dive until you are below the target then turn up into them so that when you will approach the other HO’er you will be in a slight climb. That way, if you both get damaged, you’ll be on the way up and they’ll be on the way down, ensuring that they smack the ground before you and thereby getting the kill (and the inevitable whine)

#5 Line up the shot so that you have the other plane in your sites at d2.0.

#6 Zoom in and target their left or right wing.

#7 Begin firing at d1.5 – Cease firing at d1.0 and veer off.  Your 50s will continue on their laser-guided course until the other guy flies right into them.

#8 Use the ‘F’ key on the keyboard to fire so that your trigger finger doesn’t unsteady your shot.

#9 Turn fast and flat to avoid their cannon trajectory then turn back to them so that they cannot gain angles if they happen to survive.

#10 Be gracious when they whine.  If they say “Nice HO jerk”, or something similar,  Say: “Thanks! I use Honch’s guide to HO’ing!”  -S-

Remember, it always takes 2 to Head-On so Happy HO'ing!

:noid :noid :noid

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 10:15:13 AM »
C202...spit 1, hurri 1 ....I use a D3A a lot too...dem 303s work GREAT for HOing...enough ammo so you really can start firing at 1.5K like you should.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 11:57:45 AM »
When in doubt, RAM him.

If the bb's and .50's and 20mm's and 30mm taters miss just run right into him. You're guaranteed a kill. 'Side's he just shot up your plane on the HO, didn't he? Don't let him get away!

Trolling aside.

Try learning to saddle up on the guy. Then you own him. He knows you own him and you know it. The HO's is a 50/50 chance you'll die. 'Specially if he's in the same plane as the one's yer asking about here.

Hope this helps.

Ren
Aces High Training Corps

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 01:42:06 PM »
You guys have forgot the best HO machine,the mossie, just remember to bank hard and pull the nose up  after you shoot.This will allow the mossie to change directions and you'll be on their 6.........
:rofl :rofl :rofl

Offline 1redrum

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 02:12:23 PM »
don't forget the B5n its a great ho machine  :aok
Major EaglePoo

"No person can be a great leader unless he takes genuine joy in the successes of those under him.W. A. Nance