Author Topic: My Norton 850 is up for sale on ebay.  (Read 485 times)

Offline stockli

• Copper Member
My Norton 850 is up for sale on ebay.
« on: August 21, 2007, 12:18:53 AM »
Hey guys, for anyone interested I have my Norton Commando 850 up for sale on ebay.

This is a really nice bike, although it is 30 years old and has all the British querks, it should be a nice bike for a collector or even a daily rider.

Here is the auction number for anyone who wants to take a look:200143655630

Maybe you know someone who would like to take a look?

thanks

Docness.

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 08:18:05 AM »
You bastard, now you've gone and made me *want*.

I mean, I always wanted a Commando. But I had the sense to sell my last motorcycle years ago and have thus far avoided every urge since then.

But now you've dangled one of my early loves in front of my face, legs spread so to speak.

Where is the whoopeeed thing? :mad:
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline stockli

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 09:40:16 AM »
Its in Illinois.  Chicagoland area.

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 09:47:43 AM »
Okay.... What's wrong with it?

J/K

Checkin it out...  Sweet!!!!

Mac
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 09:52:02 AM by AWMac »

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 09:58:24 AM »
"British querks", that means Lucas electrics and oil leaks. :D

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 10:29:51 AM »
Originally posted by john9001
"British querks", that means Lucas electrics and oil leaks. :D

"Lucas, Prince of Darkness!"

Had a 1969 Triump 650  many many Moons ago. Man I loved that bike.

Then I got married :(

Mac

Offline stockli

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 11:53:32 AM »
LOL, they all drip a little.

however I ripped out the Lucas ignition and put in a Boyer.

Runs like a champ and sounds like a real bike should.

Offline Flatbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 12:10:42 PM »
Originally posted by AWMac

Mac

Sorry, gotta gloat a bit here.

When I met my wife, some 30 years ago, I was riding a '73 Triumph T100R.

Electrical probs, oil leaks and finaly the main bearing went, it was a sad day when I sold it.

I bought a few ricers after that, got a Yamaha RD350, Kawasaki 350 triple, Kawasaki 750 Triple, Yamaha XJ900. I damn near killed myself in ''84 on that 900, spent a week in the hospital and at that time the wife said 'No More'!

Then in December of '05 I bought a used Suzy Volusia from my BIL against her wishes, boy was she PO'd. So much so that I decided to sell it last December just to make peace at home.

Fast forward March of this year, the wife tosses some realy bad polaroids of a used '01 Fatboy into my lap and says, "Go check it out, if you want it it's yours'!

Out of the blue she decided to give me a birthday present a few months early, been riding and getting bugs in my teeth ever since. Yesterday I hit a bee and got stung at the point where the top of my ear meets my head.

Did an emergency stop off the side of the road, ripped off my 1/2 helmet and found the bee inside. Tossed it to the ground and continued on to work.

When I got there I told the wife, we work together, about the sting and the bit of pain I was in and she says 'Well, I guess you should sell that bike'. All I did was laugh at her and then told her that I was taking half the day off to take a ride since the weather was so nice.

I don't think she'll be mentioning selling my bike in the near, or far, future. I used that half day off to shop for some leather riding gear for her, now I gotta figure out how to tell her that she's going to join me on an Iron Butt ride next weekend. :P

Ahhhh, life is good!

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 06:24:45 AM »
Originally posted by Flatbar

Fast forward March of this year, the wife tosses some realy bad polaroids of a used '01 Fatboy into my lap

:aok  Now you`re cookin`.

now I gotta figure out how to tell her that she's going to join me on an Iron Butt ride next weekend. :P

Hehe. In one of my old, old bike rags laying around here there is an article written by a guy who ran in the old official Iron Butt Rally. (Coast to coast)
He said that somewhere , in the middle of the night, that out of the blue came all the secrets to the universe, answers to all the unanswered questions and the true meaning to life. He went on to say that he pulled to the side of the road to write them down, but.......by that time he had forgotten them. :)
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 06:28:56 AM »
Originally posted by stockli
Its in Illinois.  Chicagoland area.

Good, I'm safe. (If it was within convenient driving distance the urge would be hard to resist..."Honey, I'm just gonna go see it".... ;))
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

storch

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 11:34:10 AM »
Originally posted by AWMac
"Lucas, Prince of Darkness!"

Had a 1969 Triump 650  many many Moons ago. Man I loved that bike.

Mac
lol lucas prince of darkness.  my dad had an enlish built ford consul that he loved.  as he earned better money he bought a brand new 1966 jag.  that car was an electrical nightmare.  the entire electrical system gave continous problems.  when I was 16 I wanted to buy a 1973 triump TR6 and he absolutely forbade it.

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 11:45:35 AM »
What sort of problems do you normally have with Lucas electrics?  I was a motor mechanic for 7 years and worked on many British cars, including Jaguar, Land Rover, Triumph, MG etc., and I could never remember anything seriously wrong with the electrics.
NEXX

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 11:52:47 AM »
Originally posted by Replicant
What sort of problems do you normally have with Lucas electrics?  I was a motor mechanic for 7 years and worked on many British cars, including Jaguar, Land Rover, Triumph, MG etc., and I could never remember anything seriously wrong with the electrics.

The electrons run backwards.

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 12:01:19 PM »
Originally posted by Shamus
The electrons run backwards.

shamus

Oh, you're talking really old cars before they had negative earth?  i.e. enhanced corrosion & therefore bad earthing?
NEXX

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 12:29:52 PM »
Originally posted by Flatbar
Fast forward March of this year, the wife tosses some realy bad polaroids of a used '01 Fatboy into my lap

Wow talk about being obvious in her criticism of your "equipment".......

You sure the nickname she has for you isn't needlerichard?????

:p
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown