Author Topic: Ringers in the mid-war arena  (Read 880 times)

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
Ringers in the mid-war arena
« on: August 22, 2007, 11:35:04 AM »
So last night my squad was all logged off and I had time for a sortie before bed.  All the discussion about the Mid-war, coupled with about 55-70 guys in mid-war last night prompted me to check in and see what the dealy-o is.

So I logged on, started looking around for the fights and pulled up the roster to see who was on.

Well, it was like a 'who's who' of high rank guys.  I swear, if there were 50 guys on, 35 of them were ranked in the top 300, 13 others were ranked in the top 1000, then there was me ranked 3450, and some numbers guy just below me bringing up the rear.

Now, I know that 'rank means nothing' etc etc, but just for the sake of argument, let's assume that it takes at least a nubbin of skill to kill enough stuff in this game and get whatever other criteria met to get a rank in the low hundreds (must have been 25 guys between 1 and 200 on there).  Then this means that these guys are at least decent at the game, and probably better than me.

My question, then, is why are all these guys hanging in mid-war?
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 11:39:13 AM »
They use MW to milkrun, statspotato, and otherwise vulch their second accounts. :noid

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 11:39:30 AM »
Folks went there when one of the other arenas was closed down over the weekend. You mighta seen some of the leftovers. Last night most of the normal LW guys were back up in Blue or Orange.

Hope this helps.

Offline Flatbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 11:39:39 AM »
Got Milk?

Offline Sundiver

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 11:43:21 AM »
Probably because at least a few of the better pilots believe that the mid/early war planes offer more than the late war models in terms of variety and just sheer fun factor. You can fly mid and early war in the mid-war arena without have to worry about spiteens and la-7's etc.

Another example of this would be back when the AvA was called the Combat Theatre. The caliber of play there was IMHO far and beyond above what's to be found in the MA's. Same principle.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Re: Ringers in the mid-war arena
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 11:44:35 AM »
Originally posted by toonces3

Now, I know that 'rank means nothing' etc etc, but just for the sake of argument, let's assume that it takes at least a nubbin of skill to kill enough stuff in this game and get whatever other criteria met to get a rank in the low hundreds (must have been 25 guys between 1 and 200 on there).  Then this means that these guys are at least decent at the game, and probably better than me.

come on toons, when are you going to catch up?  They are not better, they just know how to get score.  They are there hiding.  Lower number = better chances of survival or score whoring without anyone noticing.  You want rank? Start at the EW and when you get better move on to the the MW :rofl

ok, I am sure a couple where not there for that reason.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 11:48:23 AM »
I fly LW 90% of my time, but usually visit EW & MW once per day.

My reasons?:

- Different fights / planes.
- Change of pace from the MA.
- I may not like the map in the single LW arena I'm able to enter.
- Hunting milkrunners. (The resulting text flood on Channel 1/200 can be extremely entertaining!)
- Milkrun myself. (Sorry for not freaking out when getting caught myself ;) )
- Listen to all the "Cheat! Hack!" allegations.
- Watching the "reset horde" steamrolling a map
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 11:51:04 AM »
Because scores are not fixed to 1 arena.  It is easier to gain score in unpopulated arenas.    That's why.

Wanna boost ya rank the easy easy way go in MW or EW and milk the living watermelon outta it.  Go in off peak and capture a field all by yourself.

Wanna do it the right way ?  Stay in LW arenas and land kills, damage and field captures.  The most simple thing to do is just make sure you are in the right mode for what your doing.  Dive bombing = attack mode.  Fighting = fighter mode and land as much as possible......it's as simple as that.

You'll be surprised how many don't even register an attack score the whole of a TOD even though they been blowing the crap outta stuff.

Over all rank don't mean much apart from the ability to Cv command.  Now if you get to be number 1 in a particular discipline then your talking.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 11:54:03 AM »
This isn't 100% true but it partially tells the story:

Let's say 4000 people of average skill play in the LWA's.  Some will be better than others probably following a typical bell curve so a few will be highly ranked, a few will be low ranked and the vast majority will fall somwhere around the middle (ranks 1-3000 with 2000 being the most prominent).

Now lets say 1000 people of average skill play in the MW/EW arenas.  Following the same bell curve the vast majority will be ranked from 250-750 with a few at the high end and a few at the low end and rank 500 being the most prominent.

Now we merge the two lists together.  This moves the ranks both up and down for the EW/MW crowd to cover the full 5000 player spectrum but those who can dominate in EW/MW and score high rank may not be able to do so directly against the deeper talent pool in the LWA's.

As I said, there are some very good pilots who play in EW/MW but those who play there exclusively and dominate play against a much less diverse talent base.  Similar to being the star at a small junior college athletics program vs. at a big 10 school.  The guy at the JC might put up the same numbers but against who?

The other reason for high ranks in EW/MW is the ability to milk (toolshedding and base capturing) unopposed.  No one who plays exclusively in the LWA's posts 25+ base captures consistantly.  Almost everone in EW/MW post that or better every camp.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 11:57:16 AM »
LW Blue server still has issues....
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 12:08:43 PM »
I go into MW and EW a lot more now...I find at least 1 good fight (5 min+)
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 12:09:57 PM »
Originally posted by Sundiver
Probably because at least a few of the better pilots believe that the mid/early war planes offer more than the late war models in terms of variety and just sheer fun factor. You can fly mid and early war in the mid-war arena without have to worry about spiteens and la-7's etc.

Another example of this would be back when the AvA was called the Combat Theatre. The caliber of play there was IMHO far and beyond above what's to be found in the MA's. Same principle.

Naw but nice thought. LOL. Reason was a LW arena was closed. :)

Good sticks fly all planes so they normally fly in the LW so they can chose any plane they want without regards to what the other guy is flying. Be it an EW plane or LW plane it's all available to them in the LW arenas.

Good sticks don't go to other arenas to milkrun and score monger. They don't need to nor do they care.

Anyone who is doing that is telling you he wants to be a good stick but is to lazy to work for it. It's kinda like the bum on the street corner with the sign "WILL WORK FOR FOOD". There's no way he'll work for it but it sounds nice and he gets handouts. Unfortunately that has rubbed off on some of the local poor area school kids. We see football teams standing on street corners with buckets asking for hand outs for money for uniforms. Whatever happened to car washes and other drives for money. They're lazy! Great role models for todays kids. I sure hope kiddies aren't watching milkrunners in here. Great role models, huh?

The next time you see that in an arena just think of him as a street corner bum but don't give him anything or he'll never learn dignity. Let him work for a living like the rest of us.

Had to edit for this....you mentioned laffies and 16's. I rarely fly them but have been this Tour. I find it alot of fun to shoot em down in thier own rides. Eventually they'll find out all that dying is a result of skill level and not necessarily the ride, Once they figure that out they'll try to learn more about fighting and end up in all kinds of enjoyable rides.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 12:13:49 PM by DamnedRen »

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Ringers in the mid-war arena
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 12:36:36 PM »
Originally posted by toonces3

Maybe because some of them prefer MW to the other arenas, I know I do.  The last time I checked, the only n00b arena was the TA.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 12:47:48 PM »
Rats Ack Ack...you found my hiding place!!! :D

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 01:03:53 PM »
Out of the "top 50" pilots by rank as of today, I'd only concider 5-8 of them as the "better pilots" the rest are all score hoar dweebs who game the game to get high ranks. Don't base anything of the scoreboards...... unless of course your compairing "score hoar dweebs"     :D