Author Topic: F6F  (Read 616 times)

Offline DaChamp687

• Zinc Member
F6F
« on: August 27, 2007, 11:26:09 PM »
I have alot of questions on tactics. What is this planes realm I normally find myself Bn'Z with the Hellcat. I know it has good turning ability. So basically where does this plane accel ?

another thing is I for some reason have a hard time shootin down:
-Yaks
-Typhoons Especially Typhoons

Any tactics reguarding what I can do to better my chances would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to whoever can help me.

One more thing is I watch many films but its hard to see rudder/throttle control and get a view on the actuall on the manuvers there using any thing idk about in the film viewer ?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 11:30:39 PM by DaChamp687 »

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
F6F
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 11:58:21 PM »
I guess your missing something lol, I get shot down all the time in a Typhoon unless I'm ganging lol.

They can't roll, can't really turn and you should be able to climb with them.  So idk, you bnz and coming in to fast? because then anyone can just break turn/ slit ess at an angle and avoid you.
2sBlind

Offline DaChamp687

• Zinc Member
F6F
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 12:16:31 AM »
I like seriously get owned by them all the time I know I can out turn them/ But just for some reason they beat me. I have no problems with any other planes. Another thing is they normally have more Alt than me and they Bn'Z me I can normally avoid there attack I just for some reason am a flying target for Typhoons.

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
F6F
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 12:40:14 AM »
The Hellcat really holds all the advantages except firepower and speed. The Tiffie is much much faster, and the 4xHispano 20mm cannons are brutal. For all else the hellcat is better. Better sustained turn rate, better roll, better in the vert, better accelerator, better climber above 4K and equal below, better slow-speed handling. Removing pilot skill from the equation, the hellcat will most likely win if it doesnt try to chase it or become a victim of a tiffie snap-shot (those hispanos are dangerous).
Use the Hellcats flaps. Get a notch or two out and you will run rings round the tiffie. Stay away from the sharp end of it too. Fights above 4k, should be all yours to take into the vertical. Use your roll rate, especially at high-speed, against the tiffie.

As for the film viewer, you can always see your cockpit gauges, but not your opponents (shame). So you should always be able to see the manifold pressure gauge as a indicator of throttle setting. Same for trim and flap settings. Watch the little ball for rudder skids etc too. I find it helpful to view the film several times from different perspectives and views - external view, internal view, with head-movements on, and without watching the gauges only (lower head position and zoom in on instrument panel), watch it with trails on. Watch it from both aircraft's perspectives etc etc.
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
F6F
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 01:22:30 AM »
As Spatula said, you need to bleed the Typhoon out of energy. Get him slow and he's lunch unless he has room to dive away (which Typhoons WILL do, and readily). IMO a halfway-decently flown Typhoon that's above you is among the most dangerous ships in the game. DON'T engage if he has altitude on you if you can at all avoid it. If you can't, (and trust me, it's VERY hard to deny an engagement against a Typhoon with altitude) do whatever you can to neutralize his advantage at LEAST (a LOT of Typhoon drivers will run like hell if they no longer have a position of advantage). The Hellcat is slower by a noticeable margin so you won't be able to run out.

Also, watch for HOs. Typhoons LOVE to HO and most will do it at every opportunity (and this includes vets who insist that it's a skilless dweeb trick and they NEVER take the HO shot. BS). Those guns will tear you apart. While I mostly exclusively fly F4Us, many of the same options in the Hog work in the F6F as well (The Corsair, especially the 1A and 4, has a few others open as well, including a limited capability to either run out, or run DOWN, a Typhoon at most altitudes). I like to pull above him into a shallow zoom around 800 out. He'll have a snapshot at best from a poor deflection angle, so MOST times that's enough (you'll get hit every now and then, but it's successful more often than not). Alternately I'll snaproll. The change in airspeed and the tight corkscrew motion makes you a somewhat harder to hit. However it's also a vulnerable position as a snaproll is literally an intentional spin in level flight. You have to recover FAST before he can reverse.

Yaks IMO are generally pretty easy. In the right hands they can be tough, but they're nowhere near as overpowering as a Typhoon. Both models are faster up to around 15k, after which the F6F will start to open on the 9T (the 9U is faster at all altitudes). Roughly the same is the case with rate of climb. The F6F will out-accelerate the 9T, but the 9U will catch the Fatcat in the drag race. IIRC the 9T has a tater, so DON'T HO. That big gun will mess you up. The F6F has a slight advantage in lethality over the 9U, and a HUGE advantage in ammo load. (a full thirty seconds of fire from each gun. The Yaks don't even have half that). A Yak has to snipe, while the F6F can afford to take more low-probability shots (especially the spud gun on the 9T. Use that to your advantage, he has a big gun, but very little ammunition, so will likely use his lighter guns to line you up).

The F6F will turn better with flaps, so again, getting your flaps out will make a HUGE difference. Yaks can be pretty tough so be prepared to have to put a good tracking shot in to do enough damage to bring one down, however take every shot you can get. Remember, in the F6F you can afford to spend more ammo on shots with less chance of hitting than the Yak. Even short bursts in convergence can break something critical, so take whatever shot you can get (half-second bursts if you're not sure of a hit, and be ready to hose him good if you've got a clean shot).

With wing guns I set my convergence close, to 200yds. Both the Typhoon and Yaks can take a beating, so it helps with the .50cal to set you guns in closer where you have more hitting power. Also, set them to converge at a point. You want all you rounds hitting at one place to maximize damage. Never think you're at a disadvantage with the US .50cal when up against cannon. Too many people don't give the Ma Duece the respect it deserves. It's a very hard-hitting gun, especially close range and if you're within convergence. The rate of fire is excellent, and it's about as close to a point-and-click weapon as the game has. Just don't expect to fly away from a HO against anything with a cannon.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline DaChamp687

• Zinc Member
F6F
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 07:17:53 AM »
Thank Everyone who posted on this topic very much. I try to avoid HO with both b/c of the Tater and the Cannon King Typhoon. Reading this make me think and I think I was getting caught in to many HO situations where a snapshot seriously disabled my plane ( Mostly Pilot Wounds). I have a better understanding on how to approach and Typhoon and Yak now again thanks for the Help.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
F6F
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 09:29:13 AM »
The F6F is a great counter puncher (much like the hog). It's got great rudder authority and has great flexibility with its flaps. The Yak & tiffie present two totallt different issues...

The yak might be the best E fighter in the game at "normal" AH alts. It doesnt have WEP but at one point was the fastest plane in the game at 16k. So at mid range alts the yak has some speed on the F6F will out climb the F6F, out roll the F6F and is a hard target to hit. The F6F and yak are almost even in turn radius without flaps (F6F has a very slight edge). The yak easily out accelerates the F6F at higher speeds. So the F6F has to slow the fight down enough to use flaps and minimize the Yaks advantages at higher speeds....once you force him out front then you need to spray some .50's at him and keep him juking and turning. Basically the F6F has to try and force an angles fight...it will not win an E fight vs a decent yak driver.

The tiffie still has total speed and high end acceleration but the F6F has clear advantages in climb & turn...so you need to try and work the fight up whenever you can. Most good tiffie drivers will attack with the advantage and give you a couple of semi B&Z passes and then "tighten the noose" with a set of true E fighting passes...if he cant get s good look in 2-3 passes he (or she) will normally scoot...

The simple reality is the F6F has no inherent advantages over either plane that you can use to force the fight unless you have a positional advantage. Your basically fighting a -E fight otherwise which is the toughest type of fight to learn....

The experienced yak/tiffie driver has learned (or is trying to learn) how to use energy and out of plane manuevering to achieve shot solutions vs better turning planes. Basically your getting a "better" breed of pilot and a set of planes that match up well vs the F6F....as long as they dont fly the F6F's game. If they try and get "down & dirty" with you they should lose...but you need to force a mistake to beat them.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
F6F
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 06:50:37 PM »
good info here, I love flying the Hellcat and found some more things to try. I generally let those two planes get my six and don't break tilld-600-400 since those guys are usually coming in with a ton of E. sometimes they'll try and break with me waste some e and ammo. I'm no expert but thats what has been working for me.

I'm going to try and get some training time in the next month, might be an idea if you already haven't. my squadies have improved a bunch in just a month.

Offline DaChamp687

• Zinc Member
F6F
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 10:30:46 PM »
Thanks for all the quick responses guys this should help alot.

Offline lagger86

• Nickel Member
F6F
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 12:58:49 AM »
I love the f6f, not because i'm great in it, or because it's the best plane, just because I like it. It's been said many times that it does a lot well, but nothing great...this is true. I fight better at a dis advantage because I always seem to work my way into that situation. What I have found is the hellcat is good at giving the bad guy a shot and taking it away. It turns better than most think and kick the rudder at the right time and you can cut the bad guys angle quite well. Because the F6F isn't gonna win any sprints or marathons pretty much means you have to fight your way out of bad situations. What I do is try to get the bad guy to bleed some E and get lower and slower and use yoyo's (high and low) to gain the advantage. I find that dropping flaps and putting nose down to use the roll rate as a way to get a jump on some planes in a turn works well also. Like I said, I'm not that good, but of all the planes I've flown it is the most fun. When fighting a BnZ guy I always turn into them(not to HO, but because most times they go for it) then try to read their angle...evade...come over the top and  go for a snapshot or watch them extend for round two. Patience is important and always look around you for the guy coming in for the pick. Above all though just fly and have fun. I have trouble with Yaks as well at times, but I usually get blown up by a name I recognize...which means I need to practice more and get better. It's all fun to me.
Lagger