Author Topic: A general question  (Read 2848 times)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
A general question
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2007, 09:17:23 AM »
I agree they can be useful. Which is why it would be great to have the option of turning them on or off.

If its only 10,000' then without doubt there is something going on. Forget about the forum they talk about it in comms all the time. It would be a trulky strange community if "talking about cheating" is more "frowned upon" then the actual cheating itself.

Why do you need a "shade account"? All you need is a telephone, or nudge the guy sitting next to you. You can have 2 accounts in the same house right?

I'm not talking about gunning here. Thats for another thread. Nor am I just talking about the 163. The guys who have mastered it strike me as fairly honorable types. I'm just using it as an example.

But for that matter whats it matter "if" I do shoot them down? All they have to do is bail, jump right back into another one at the same base, and come right back. By the 9'th or 10'th 163 they will probably have hosed the greatest Buff gunner. And by then they have broad casted the location and heading of the Buffs anyway so the jigg is up no matter what. It doesn't take a genius to figure out where your heading and which way your going to come back.

Which brings me back to my point. Once deception is lost in 270 mph bombers its lost for good. I actually do better flying thru heavily traversed sectors, as long as I have air, then I do isolated ones. And as long as your own team can see you on the map there is no "hiding" and it dont matter how many radars you avoid. Shoot a fighter down, and if you far enough behind lines, he can keep re'appearing in you path with little effort. Most of all in the maps with no water and high airfields.

Originally posted by scottydawg
1.  I think dot vis is 10K but not sure.
2. No idea how much cheating goes on but it's a bit of a frowned upon topic on the BBS.  Certainly users with shade accounts could conceivably use a second computer to spy, or could team up with friends to spy.
3.  The 163 is only available at rear bases, only one or two per side I think and can climb to intercept rather quickly. That might explain what you are seeing. Also some guys like to hang about the  back bases in orbit on highly populated maps, knowing there are some others like yourself going for the long range missions.  My advice to you is to work on your gunnery so you can blow them out of the sky.

Green dots I feel are very useful, if you've ever flown in the SEA and lost the rest of your squad or whatever, you'll know what I'm talking about.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
A general question
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 09:20:31 AM »
I had a feeling you were going to pop in and say this. I wasnt talking about you Lusche cause you strike me as an honorable man and I know for a fact your kills come from considerable skill.

I'm not "blaming anyone". I'm 50 yo and about 30 years past that. If its a "rule" then I'll cease participating in the thread. Its talked about easily enough in the comms so I assumed it was allowed.

Originally posted by Lusche
Sorry but it seems like you have been shot down a few times and now trying to blame this on "cheating".
A single players buff run is simply not important enough to be spyed upon. Like I pointed out before: With soem experience is's very easy to track enemy buffs down.

BTW, any talk about "How much cheating goes on in the game and how hard would this be." is frowned upon - read forum rules.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
A general question
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2007, 09:24:07 AM »
Originally posted by Rich46yo
      But for that matter whats it matter "if" I do shoot them down? All they have to do is bail, jump right back into another one at the same base, and come right back. By the 9'th or 10'th 163 they will probably have hosed the greatest Buff gunner. And by then they have broad casted the location and heading of the Buffs anyway so the jigg is up no matter what. It doesn't take a genius to figure out where your heading and which way your going to come back.

There is only one 163 base on each map - to protect the HQ. Everybody venturing close to that base has to know he has very little chance to get to target - unless flying in a huge mission which may overwhelm the enemy, or going NOE.

Against all other planes, a combination of altitude & careful route planning is your best defense. While I may be able to intercept you one time, I will have almost no chance to get to you again before you get to your target when shot down.

BTW, I knew you weren't to try to blame anyone specific, but I just wanted to point out what kind of impression that posting gave.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 09:26:56 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
A general question
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2007, 09:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rich46yo
I agree they can be useful. Which is why it would be great to have the option of turning them on or off.

If its only 10,000' then without doubt there is something going on. Forget about the forum they talk about it in comms all the time. It would be a trulky strange community if "talking about cheating" is more "frowned upon" then the actual cheating itself.

Why do you need a "shade account"? All you need is a telephone, or nudge the guy sitting next to you. You can have 2 accounts in the same house right?

I'm not talking about gunning here. Thats for another thread. Nor am I just talking about the 163. The guys who have mastered it strike me as fairly honorable types. I'm just using it as an example.

Which brings me back to my point. Once deception is lost in 270 mph bombers its lost for good. I actually do better flying thru heavily traversed sectors, as long as I have air, then I do isolated ones. And as long as your own team can see you on the map there is no "hiding" and it dont matter how many radars you avoid. Shoot a fighter down, and if you far enough behind lines, he can keep re'appearing in you path with little effort. Most of all in the maps with no water and high airfields.

If you feel that there is cheating going on, by all means make films and send them in to HiTech.  Discussion of cheating by a bunch of people that have no access to logs or other detailed information will probably not lead to anything positive.  From what I've seen HTC will deal with allegations of cheating sent directly to them quickly and resolutely, whereas complaining about cheating on the boards will only invite ridicule.

and by the 9th or 10th 163 you've shot down, the other guy will have lost a bunch of perks, very few people will commit to that.

To be honest, Rich, it sounds like you are pissed off that you can't milkrun (meaning bomb enemy bases without actually having to deal with defenders).  That's probably not really a valid gripe and will get you flamed on the boards.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
A general question
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2007, 09:40:14 AM »
Dot visability is 10k, meaning you can see a dot once they are with in 10k of you.

On the map friendly dots are shown always, even those below dar (500 above ground level), my guess, is because then you know "where to fight is". if you see a bunch of friendlies heading to a base you might want to tag along. Makes it easy for people to "join in the fun" Enemy dots are only shown while inside an active radar circle, as long as they are above 500.

Bar dar is the bars that are at the top of each sector on the map showing the enemy strenght in the air of that sector. The bigger the bar the more planes.

The "cheating" your talking about isn't cheating, its called spying ( you are alowed to talk about spying) While not "rampant", spying does happen, and is frowned upon as much as it is in real life, but some people will do ANYTHING to win.

Once you make one run and are "caught" either by one guy, or spotted on dar, there are those that will then watch for a small dar bar to pop up in out lieing sectors. Knowing a bomber guy is online, its easy enough to keep an eye out for them, and as buffs are easier kills than most fighters, you'll draw a lot of attention.

Offline Yknurd

• Silver Member
      • Satan Is Cool...Tell Your Friends
A general question
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2007, 09:52:38 AM »
It's easy to spot enemy bombers with the sector radar bar.  It's usually as easy to determine where they are going also.

I'm willing to bet a beer or two that our intrepid post originator didn't stay out of the radar rings, was easily spotted, and promptly shot down.  Hence the whine.
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

storch

A general question
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2007, 10:12:43 AM »
Originally posted by Yknurd
I'm only a Colonel so I can't answer your question.

Shall we wait for the General together?
just goes to show that simply minds troll alike.  you beat me to it. I'd like to buy you a beer, post your fax number and I'll sent u $2.00

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
A general question
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2007, 10:13:47 AM »
I think he is blinded by anger for being shot down and refuses to understand that he is visible at all times.  If I see dar bar a sector out from HQ, you can bet I know exactly how and where to find you.  He does not know h ow the game works yet, but he is sure some one is spying on him.

Try bombing off line if you don't want people trying to shoot you down
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
A general question
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2007, 10:14:29 AM »
I think it needs clarified that communicating with teammates is not cheating.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
A general question
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2007, 10:17:45 AM »
It must be terrible to have a planned milkrun turn into cartoon combat. I cannot imagine the pain.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
A general question
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2007, 10:35:29 AM »
Originally posted by Yknurd
I'm only a Colonel so I can't answer your question.

Shall we wait for the General together?

OK, I'm here, what's the problem?

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
A general question
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2007, 10:37:40 AM »
Originally posted by SkyRock
OK, I'm here, what's the problem?

Rich wants to be invisible and doesn't like it when people talk to each other. ;)

Offline Gryphons

• Copper Member
A general question
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »
I was gonna post the link to the info on dar bars in the help section (under support), but after searching I can't find any info on dar bars on the HTC website.  Maybe a help section on radar would help out the new players and maybe help avoid some of the cheating accusations.  You can find info on almost everything else on the HTC site.
Classic Army G36C, KWA Glock 17, Well M4, UTG M24
71 Squadron RAF
Gryphon5

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
A general question
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2007, 10:49:59 AM »
I actually do better flying thru heavily traversed sectors, as long as I have air, then I do isolated ones.

This is because when a player sees a dar bar in an isolated section, he knows with near certainty that there is a bomber sneaking around back there.  And if you go off the map, there is an arrow that points right to where you are instead of the dar bar, which makes it real easy to find you.

And if a fighter watches when the dar bar CHANGES from one sector to another, he can often pinpoint to within about a mile or so just where the bomber is, by evaluating probable targets.

Does this mean it's honest effort in every instance when you are detected?  Perhaps not.  But I know of at least one player who plays a lot and who spends a lot of time hunting bombers in this fashion, and is very successful doing so.

It's not that hard, most of the time.

"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
A general question
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2007, 10:50:18 AM »
Originally posted by scottydawg
Rich wants to be invisible and doesn't like it when people talk to each other. ;)

I'm starting to realize why many of the older guys call this "the kiddy forum" and refuse to post here.