Author Topic: goodbye  (Read 1860 times)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
goodbye
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2007, 09:24:42 PM »
oogly,

you want to back up all of your pictures, documents, etc.  You also want to back up anything you've intentionally downloaded off of the net music, videos, ah skins, ah sounds, and so on.  If you don't have enough cd's to do it tell your parents to call me.  I have a spare external hard drive that I'll ship to you no charge and you can use till you're done.  I WANT IT BACK THOUGH ;)

It's really a simple process but a pain in the posterior.  I'd offer to let you ship the box to me and put it right for you but there are members here that are much much more knowledgeable than I am in this area.  Perhaps one of them will step up to the plate?

Anyway...anything I can do to help you out I will.  The world needs more young men like you.  
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Oogly50

• Nickel Member
goodbye
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2007, 09:27:01 PM »
Okay.

The only thing I have left to do is, get my dad to remember where the windows disk is.

He doesn't keep track of these things at ALL.  When I ask him why he doesn't, he just sais 'because I have a life.'  I've been using the same stick of RAM for 5 years!  I only have 256 gig left!  

256!!!  :furious

aye aye aye!
There was once a saying that goes "If you put an infinite amount of monkeys in a room with an infinite amount of typewriters, eventually they will produce something worth reading."

The internet has proved this wrong.

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
goodbye
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2007, 11:20:05 PM »
Originally posted by Oogly50
Okay.

256!!!  :furious

aye aye aye!

I didn't know you could run xp and the game on 256 mb ram :)
Spend the $20 a get another stick of ram...you won't believe the difference.

Hope this helps.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
goodbye
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2007, 12:55:23 AM »
Before you format, TRIPLE CHECK your files. Refresh your memory by going through all your start menu program options (don't start the program, just hover over it and think to yourself "is there anything I made in this program I want to save?")

Almost EVERY time I do a reformat I forget something I wanted to keep. Just make sure you've got all you "can't live without" then proceed.

Offline ausmith

• Zinc Member
you malware
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2007, 03:10:19 AM »
it sounds like you have smitfraud c. do a virus scan in safe mode, to get there reboot and after the first beeb you should hit F8 this should allow you to start in safe mode, if you have a pc and not an apple computer. once in safe mode run spybot search and destroy it is a free download from the net, this should tell you what you have. if it is smitfraud ,there is a fix you can DL that will clean it up. what I do if I get some thing like this is first find what it is called, then write it down, then google it and then google the name and type fix after it Ie:  Smitfraud fix. you have to go thru a few sites before you might find one that has a downloadable fix. if you can not find a fix then you might need to get some more tools like highjackthis and then follow instructions to the letter to go in and clean out you registry.

Offline ColKLink

• Nickel Member
goodbye
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2007, 05:31:00 AM »
Gotta a 12 yr old that has a job. Reminds me of my squeeker days, but I needed  motorcycles and parts, all in all, it was for entertainment purposes. no diff, here. kid.
Live each day like it's your last, and one day, you will be right.---- rush 2112,--->" and the sheep shall inherit the earth"......

Offline Oogly50

• Nickel Member
goodbye
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2007, 08:43:13 AM »
Originally posted by DamnedRen
I didn't know you could run xp and the game on 256 mb ram :)
Spend the $20 a get another stick of ram...you won't believe the difference.

Hope this helps.

He doesn't feel like taking apart the computer with me :(
There was once a saying that goes "If you put an infinite amount of monkeys in a room with an infinite amount of typewriters, eventually they will produce something worth reading."

Offline Oogly50

• Nickel Member
goodbye
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2007, 08:52:40 AM »
OKAY.  Today will hopefully be the day.  (yay)  

Here are the things I want to save.

1. All my iTunes songs.  (how would I back these up)
2. Do I need to backup internet exporer or firefox?  

Other than this, there's not much crap on this computer worth backing up.  My AH settings folder I can re-do...  I remember exactly how I had it.  

However, there's this game I play called blockland, that you need an activation key for.  When I re-install it, I'll need a different activation key (they cost MONEY... AAAH.) Is there some way to save that activation key?  I'll check the files.  

ANOTHER thing.  MY DAD CAN'T FIND THE WINDOWS CD!  :(  :mad: :furious :rolleyes:

EDIT:  Okay, I found a document containing the word 'key' in my blockland folder.  Should I back that up?

Offline WolfSnipe

• Copper Member
goodbye
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2007, 08:53:28 AM »
yea i pay for my own to and i'm 9th its pretty easy these days for kids to gety jobs young ages i mean i work for big carpentry business and kids get paid good money and i barley get to play anymore ether but  i still pay for it hey whats the matter with your screen??

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
goodbye
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2007, 09:28:14 AM »
Originally posted by Oogly50
OKAY.  Today will hopefully be the day.  (yay)  

ANOTHER thing.  MY DAD CAN'T FIND THE WINDOWS CD!  :(  :mad: :furious :rolleyes:

EDIT:  Okay, I found a document containing the word 'key' in my blockland folder.  Should I back that up?

Oogly check your PM.

Without the Windows CD you're in DEEP doodoo. :cry

Offline Oogly50

• Nickel Member
goodbye
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2007, 09:30:21 AM »
:cry :cry :cry   would I be able to buy a new one?

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
goodbye
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2007, 09:36:51 AM »
for about $160

Or you can contact customer support at the manufacturer and see if they'll send you restore disks for free.
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
goodbye
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2007, 09:38:00 AM »
Maybe we ought to try dealing with the removal of the trojan rather than reformatting. Keep looking for the XP disk.

Offline Oogly50

• Nickel Member
goodbye
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2007, 09:42:03 AM »
I gots a link to removing the trojan.  
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic98219.html
I don't have a printer, so I was going to e-mail it to my dad's computer, but he was flying (he's an airline pilot.)  for 4 days, and then I completely forgot.  

Now, I'll email it, and ask him to print it out for me.  You probably won't see me for another 3 hours...  :(  wish me luck.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
goodbye
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2007, 09:49:38 AM »
Word of advice, if the instructions call for changes to your Windows registry, be VERY careful...the registry is the heart & soul of Windows and one incorrect edit can create a world of hurt.