Author Topic: P-47 dogfighting  (Read 3874 times)

Offline odin3

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.vmfblackjacks.com
P-47 dogfighting
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2007, 12:00:37 PM »
wow.. that made no sence at all.. so what you're saying is passes you at head on.. you pull up, at the same time left alaron, little rudder and turn and go back down?

Offline StuB

• Zinc Member
P-47 dogfighting
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2007, 12:10:54 PM »
Where are you getting the "head on" part?

Originally posted by odin3
wow.. that made no sence at all.. so what you're saying is passes you at head on.. you pull up, at the same time left alaron, little rudder and turn and go back down?
"Facing up to 200 Russians eager to have a nibble at you, or even Spitfires, can be quite enjoyable...but curve in against 70 Boeing Fortresses and all your past sins flash before your eyes."

Major Hans "Fips" Philipp
Geschwaderkommodore, JG 1
206 Victories. KIA 8 October, 1943

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
P-47 dogfighting
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2007, 12:18:40 PM »
odin, if you're talking about my post that was just explaining what a High and Low yo yo are. Whether you HO or not is purley up to you. You can go in guns a blazin and try to kill the enemy head-on shooting, or you can avoid the HO by diving, climbing, turning, whatever you do. There are many moves to choose, but the maneuver you choose to avoid the HO must be timed right, and you must think out your plan of attack so you know what your next move will be.

For example, if you choose to pull up to avoid the HO and you pull up too soon then the enemy just has to pull up too and he's already on your six. If you pull up too late then the enemy will shoot your tail off as he goes by you. BUT if you time it just right he will go by under you and you have accomplished avoiding the HO.

You need a plan. If you just say "I'll pull up" and you timed it right then what? You're going straight up and don't know what to do now. As soon as you see that you're going to HO someone, and you want to avoid you must start planning. What way will I go? What plane is the enemy in? What plane am I in? What can his plane do vs mine? How much E do both of us have? You have to plan "What to do to avoid the HO", and if you do avoid it "What to do if the enemy does this? or if he does that?"

Basiclly what i'm tryin to say is only you can deciede if you want to HO. If you do them prey you make it out alive. If you don't then you need to plan out what move you will choose to avoid the HO, and what move to do if the enemy just keeps flying straight or if he turns or if he climbs or dives.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
P-47 dogfighting
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2007, 03:53:37 PM »
Originally posted by Nimrod45
Please don't laugh at me but what the heck is a YO YO maneuver.

Go to this old thread, and scroll down to Badboy's post of March 17, 2006.  It has a diagram of a high yo-yo that is better than the fabled thousand words.  A low yo-yo is basically the reverse.

If you have time, read the entire thread and watch the video, too.  These guys are among the top teachers.

http://forums.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=173151&referrerid=4533

- oldman

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
P-47 dogfighting
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2007, 08:56:07 PM »
Originally posted by redman555
lol really tho,i hate it when ppl call the P-47 a bad fighter, if u know how to use its disadvantages, and its flaps, u can easliy take out almost every kind of plane

its got good engine,high speed flaps, carries bombs and rockets,DTs, super good at high alt, its a great plane, how u explain i shoot down normally 3+ ppl every time i fly a P-47, and, most i ever landed in her is 8 kills, all in  a P-47D-40
 o and dont u even dare forget about the freakin 8 50CALS!!!!!
BigbobCH:D

PS: and donkey, i will do that for ya any time, considering i do it all the time

Redman....huh....go to the scores page...type in RedTop in the expanded ie deal.....Check the rides....and do it from like say 4 tours ago and back....I aint flown much in the last few months.
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
P-47 dogfighting
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2007, 09:37:23 AM »
Originally posted by redman555
lol really tho,i hate it when ppl call the P-47 a bad fighter, if u know how to use its disadvantages, and its flaps, u can easliy take out almost every kind of plane

its got good engine,high speed flaps, carries bombs and rockets,DTs, super good at high alt, its a great plane, how u explain i shoot down normally 3+ ppl every time i fly a P-47, and, most i ever landed in her is 8 kills, all in  a P-47D-40
 o and dont u even dare forget about the freakin 8 50CALS!!!!!
BigbobCH:D

PS: and donkey, i will do that for ya any time, considering i do it all the time

Did you fly under a different name before BigBOBCH ?

Cause I just looked at your stats and you don't seem to be as prolific in the P-47 as you are making out to be.

Yes the P-47 is a great fighter ... at alt ... you need lots of room to dogfight. Get a P-47 below 2K, low and slow and it's nothing but an easy kill 99% of the time.

Now ... tangle with the likes of Frenchy in his P-47 and you had better have brought your "A" game with you ... regardless of alt. He and some others are an exception to the rule. I'm really not trying to poke you in the eye, but I don't think that you are in that league.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Uriel

• Zinc Member
P-47 dogfighting
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2007, 02:21:58 PM »
I love this thread.. I fly the D40 a lot.. in a turn fight you have about 4-5 turns max.. use 1 to 2 notches of flaps on/off as needed. Dont forget to juggle your wep too this makes it last longer.
If you set convergance to 600-450-300-150 you will get a great triangle of death for those snap shots. I have out turned A6M's in a turn fight.. the problem is.. it wont last.
If any of you really good jug pilots see me in the arena I would like to wingman.. I think I have all the peices I just havent put it all together.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
P-47 dogfighting
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2007, 05:50:51 PM »
Originally posted by Uriel
I love this thread.. I fly the D40 a lot.. in a turn fight you have about 4-5 turns max..
I would suggest keeping at 2 turns / 2 1/2 turns ..with 3 turns being really pushing it considering the E - Bleed of the Jug in turning......
If you set convergance to 600-450-300-150 you will get a great triangle of death for those snap shots.
Hmm...this is an interesting approach, might even experiment with it to see the results , offline only though, to see its effects on the drones...... If I am doing snap/deflection shots I want them all hitting the same X spot...
I have out turned A6M's in a turn fight.. the problem is.. it wont last.

I would think you out maneuvered them or beat them to the angles game rather than think you "out turned" them.......

good to see people coming along , keep at it :aok
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
P-47 dogfighting
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2007, 08:21:24 PM »
Jug is great....I was just kidding above. Anyone that knows me in game knows I love the jug.

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
P-47 dogfighting
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2007, 08:22:19 PM »
when Redtop flies the D25 i just thank my lucky stars i am on his team. :O

edit: oh Red, stick around online for 20 mins then check ur PM box, got something for you.....but it will take a minute to upload.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 08:28:39 PM by B@tfinkV »
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
P-47 dogfighting
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2007, 09:40:53 PM »
The jug is all about attitude matched to ability. You can fly it alot of different ways and do "OK". If you fly it aggresively (and have the ability) then its a deadly bird. If you bite off more then you can chew then its a brick....

In the end its the conductor not the wand that makes the music:aok

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
P-47 dogfighting
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2007, 10:02:39 PM »
Originally posted by humble

In the end its the conductor not the wand that makes the music:aok

And this guy can flat make a band play beautiful music. He , Batfink , Biggles , Cibizkit, JensK , Nomde , Blukitty , Hajo , Frenchy , Platano , Husky , YUCCA and others fly the jug with very little to 0 difficulties.

You want to learn the Jug.....find these folks and fly with them....when you can last more than a turn or 2 with them...then you will be able to fly it better than most in the MA.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
P-47 dogfighting
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2007, 10:30:16 PM »
Jeez, you put me in a tough crowd. I can maybe caddy for a few of those guys:). But if you look at that list you get the idea....a bunch of stone cold killers. Aggresive, opportunistic, unperdictable and unnerving to fly agaisnt. You get down and dirty with any of em and 15 seconds in (if your still alive) you begin to doubt gravity and the basic laws of physics as they roll, stall, zoom and spin with the cuisinart nose ever searching for that patch of cabbage your flying. Normally when you run into a sushi chef in a jug you come out as california roll:huh

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
P-47 dogfighting
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2007, 12:01:04 AM »
humble is too humble! just the other day we fought in 109E and i definitely got taught a few tricks i hadnt used before. i was writting them down as i spiral  to earth missing important plane parts.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
P-47 dogfighting
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2007, 09:49:04 PM »
i'm still learning it, once you stick with it and learn it's up and downs it's an awesome plane.

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer