Author Topic: Kill Stealers  (Read 2046 times)

Offline stickpig

• Nickel Member
Kill Stealers
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2007, 12:34:06 AM »
Originally posted by ROC
You know it happens, you know it's going to happen.
If you want the score, finish the kill.

think he did .....thats the point
Theyll only give you one chance, Better get it right first time. And the game youre playing
If you lose you gotta pay, If you make just one wrong move Youll get blown away
Expect no mercy  <Nazareth>

"Stay in the manned ack... When your in a plane you are a danger to the ground"  <Norad>

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Kill Stealers
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2007, 02:02:25 AM »
Originally posted by shamroc
Besides, if it can be stolen, it really wasn't a kill to begin with.
I'll call BS on that one.  If a plane is torn up so badly that there are only 3 possible outcomes that player has control over: [list=1]
  • The player bails, awarding the kill
  • The player intentionally disconnects, awarding the kill
  • A player crashes, awarding a kill.
  • [/list=1] Then there is in fact a kill because the situation doesn't allow for any other outcome.  The only varible is if an interloper comes in and tries to outscore damage and get credit for the kill that was
inevitibly to be awarded to someone else.

I suggest that those of you who shrug and forget about it only nurture this in game behaviour by some players.  If no one cares or says anything, then that tells the "kill stealer" that it is  a perfectly acceptable form of gameplay with this community.  If someone takes a few seconds to point the spotlight on the players behaviour, they might get the hint that it is frowned upon, and think twice about doing it again.

Did I need that kill someone stole from me?  Not really, the average player would be estatic to to have my average kills per sortie.  That does not mean that I will sit back and not call out BS behaviour when I see it.

I for one am kind of happy to see the complacency trend in the replies, since in the past when I've advocated a little bit of simple community policing in vain, the result has been a change in the game system that people will whine about endlessly.  On this issue, HT has shared his thoughts, and I am more than happy to sit back and wait for the issue to get worse, and complained about until the game system is adjusted accordingly.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
Kill Stealers
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2007, 05:18:02 PM »
It's a tossup on my feelings here.  On the one hand, flying my Spit 9 and having ponies and other assorted crap zoom over my head and hose away at a con that I separated from the horde irks me.  On the other hand, I watched a friendly flame up a P47 and then turn his back to it like the jug was dead.  The next thing you know it's turning on him and hosing away.  Needless to say a quick burst of my Hispanos dealt with it.  I think it is best to circle away from your teammate and see if they need assistance, do not interfere unless this is a reversal that endangers your teammate.  Also, if your chasing your teammates current con, whose watching both your backs?  If nobody is and a horde is around, STOP---It's tower time!
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Connery

• Nickel Member
Kill Stealers
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2007, 05:37:57 PM »
raider I feel your pain, but theres no point asking for alterations, the game is fine as it is. We should be educating those who are ignorant.

Teach these people about the in game etiquette. Problem solved.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
Kill Stealers
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2007, 05:52:34 PM »
I'll shoot till i see an explosion in a crowded area

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Kill Stealers
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2007, 05:59:30 PM »
Originally posted by whiteman
I'll shoot till i see an explosion in a crowded area

We have a winnar! Make it explode and you cant have the kill stolen.

Offline Tachus

• Copper Member
Kill Stealers
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2007, 06:23:30 PM »
The whole "Kill Stealing" thing seems a bit silly to me. However, I know it matters to some, and I don't normally shoot planes that are spiraling toward the ground.

However, I do shoot planes with stuff missing, if they are not going down, then they are fair game. (And the one that did the damage may already be dead)

Second, some people think because they are on some guys six "That's their kill" even if they haven't landed a single ping. (Which is ridiculous)

In the end, it's usually one of two types of people, new players that haven't learned how "precious" that kill is to some people, or players that just don't care.

Best regards,
--Tachus

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
Kill Stealers
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2007, 12:27:27 AM »
Originally posted by Tachus
The whole "Kill Stealing" thing seems a bit silly to me. However, I know it matters to some, and I don't normally shoot planes that are spiraling toward the ground.  

That is the point I am trying to make regarding "kill stealing." I am talking about guys that shoot at a plane that is spiraling downward.  I think it does matter to some including me.

I agree about your take about somebody reserving their kill as you insinuate.  That is a bit ridiculous.
:rolleyes:
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
Re: Kill Stealers
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2007, 12:54:22 AM »
Originally posted by SEraider
Ok, the victory goes to the most worthy (round pumping) after the adversaries plane does the following:

1. Engine shuts down
2. Lost elevators
3. Lost wings

When this happens, any rounds pumped into the disabled aircraft afterwards would have no effect at all.  Think of it as shooting a tree in the game; no effect.  Therefore, no stealing kills.  

SEraider
Columnist for AHII times and AP :cool:

well with the 1st one, what about gliding back to base? i've done that on a number of occasions.
2nd, elevators? last night i was flying a p47d-40 with both elevators shot off, would have to be elevators and ailrons...

lost wings i can agree with...
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
Re: Re: Kill Stealers
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2007, 02:37:54 AM »
Originally posted by trigger2
well with the 1st one, what about gliding back to base? i've done that on a number of occasions.
2nd, elevators? last night i was flying a p47d-40 with both elevators shot off, would have to be elevators and ailrons...

lost wings i can agree with...

I think he meant in the case you crash because of those situations. But i return missing half those parts anyways. actually it's a game to see what comes first, out of ammo or missing both ailrons, rudder, rear flaps or when i'm in a 110 to see if i can get both wings shot half off. makes for funny screen shots.

I hate getting kills stolen but rarely happens to me. I think the current system is ok. Not saying this applies to Raiders case but i see people flame an A6M then leave it, well those things burn for a good time and i've been shot down cause some guy called it dead when all it was doing was burning.

I see a plane start to burn then it gets on a friendlies 6, I'm going to finish it off. I guess the guy figured the kill is his and is saving ammo for that ubber "*** landed 6 kills in a D3A" or what ever.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Kill Stealers
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2007, 07:53:12 AM »
There is a time for teamwork, esp when there are multiple formations of buffs inbound. Good teamwork can make the difference. Take the time to work with the other guy, you'll both get kills enough if you stay alive.

There is a time for flying by, and finding your own meat. If you see a  1 on 1, walk on by.  I almost never shoot in that situation. The other guy has EARNED that kill, or the loss, either way its his fair and square. You want to sit high and wait to see if the bad guy wins, fine.  But let them finish what they started.

There is a time for dropping in and clearing someones 6. Ussually when there are many vs one.  But then back off to let him get the kill he was earning. Or ask him which one you should take.   Frankly with the communication tools we have there is no excuse for kill stealing.

Don't fly with a horde, if you see 2 guys on a con, keep grabbing, they sure don't need a third.

In short, find your own fights, kill your own cons, respect the other guys right to do the same.

Last I have to agree with Murdr, once a plane has been damaged to the point it can no longer be controlled damage should be frozen.

Offline rodak

• Zinc Member
Re: Re: Re: Kill Stealers
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2007, 08:09:22 AM »
Originally posted by SEraider
I have another account that I use besides this.  That is why my stats are nil but this event did happen.

Practice my gunnery?  Shooting a wing off seems pretty decent gunnery to me.  

What is not decent is that somebody follows my kill down 80 degrees to steal a kill.  That's my point.

Can't ya just shoot your other account down away from the crowd so this doesn't happen and get you so upset?  or better yet get a third account and steal your own kills.........:aok    seriously though, it's possible that the guy didn't see the wing missing from the pony.  Did you say anything to the friendly that got the credit?

Offline Tachus

• Copper Member
Kill Stealers
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2007, 08:52:25 AM »
Originally posted by Ghosth
There is a time for teamwork, esp when there are multiple formations of buffs inbound. Good teamwork can make the difference. Take the time to work with the other guy, you'll both get kills enough if you stay alive.

There is a time for flying by, and finding your own meat. If you see a  1 on 1, walk on by.  I almost never shoot in that situation. The other guy has EARNED that kill, or the loss, either way its his fair and square. You want to sit high and wait to see if the bad guy wins, fine.  But let them finish what they started.

There is a time for dropping in and clearing someones 6. Ussually when there are many vs one.  But then back off to let him get the kill he was earning. Or ask him which one you should take.   Frankly with the communication tools we have there is no excuse for kill stealing.

Don't fly with a horde, if you see 2 guys on a con, keep grabbing, they sure don't need a third.

In short, find your own fights, kill your own cons, respect the other guys right to do the same.

Last I have to agree with Murdr, once a plane has been damaged to the point it can no longer be controlled damage should be frozen.

I don't normally find a lot of points where I disagree with you Ghost, but on most of this I do.

Outside of shooting a plane that is no longer controllable, (which I don't do). Here is my thoughts on "Kills"

A plane becomes "off limits" when it's no longer visible. (It blows up)

A person knows it's their "kill" when they get the system message, until then, it's not.

Screaming on Vox, "The spit is mine" before you even ping the plane is ridiculous.

Expecting that people follow a long list of "Don't engage when" is just going to raise a person's blood pressure.

BTW, I don't normally dive into a 3 vs 1 just because I'll blow my E, (it's not in my best interests.)

If there is a 1vs1 below me, I usually watch before I dive in, but expecting everyone to do that, is just not realistic.

In many ways this is like vulching. I don't normally vulch. (I will cap a field if it's being captured, but I don't normally shoot planes coming down the runway) However, I don't expect others to follow suit, and if I get vulched, then so be it.

Best regards,
--Tachus

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Kill Stealers
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2007, 07:15:45 PM »
Originally posted by rodak
Can't ya just shoot your other account down away from the crowd so this doesn't happen and get you so upset?  or better yet get a third account and steal your own kills.........:aok    seriously though, it's possible that the guy didn't see the wing missing from the pony.  Did you say anything to the friendly that got the credit?

If it is "blatant" then heck yes!  What I mean is a plane spiraling down is still being attacked by others when I and others have doen the real work.
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline T0J0

• Silver Member
Kill Stealers
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2007, 07:04:16 AM »
The act of being in a great knife fight and walking away wasn't fullfilling enough?
 What is score when many game the game, nobody measures skill by score unless your top 5 for two years in a row every month.