Author Topic: AvA Vision  (Read 2280 times)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
AvA Vision
« on: September 06, 2007, 03:47:45 PM »
Knowing there are more opinions about the AvA than we often have players in the arena, I'd thought I would ask the questions.

1. As players, what do you guys want to see out of the AvA as a player/historical match-up, player managed arena?

2. What would you like to see in the AvA as a player in one year, and in four years?
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Re: AvA Vision
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 04:40:44 PM »
Originally posted by Mister Fork
Knowing there are more opinions about the AvA than we often have players in the arena, I'd thought I would ask the questions.

1. As players, what do you guys want to see out of the AvA as a player/historical match-up, player managed arena?

2. What would you like to see in the AvA as a player in one year, and in four years?

You said vision so, how about the MA settings on seeing red.  No need for plane type or distance.  It is just very hard to find people and very easy for the cherry pickers to sneak up on you.  You cant have SA if you cant see them.  At 3K they can close in extremely fast when  you are fighting a couple of other guys already.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
AvA Vision
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 04:40:56 PM »

storch

AvA Vision
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 05:10:10 PM »

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
AvA Vision
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 05:13:07 PM »
I have a vision, television?

edit: to answer the question number two, I'd like to see more dedicated folks playing in the AvA, preferably people who know how to fly and behave and whom wouldn't whine about every misdeed. A good-natured community willing to fight, no matter the planes or the opposition.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 05:17:25 PM by Panzzer »
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
AvA Vision
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 06:52:58 PM »
Originally posted by Panzzer
to answer the question number two, I'd like to see more dedicated folks playing in the AvA, preferably people who know how to fly and behave and whom wouldn't whine about every misdeed. A good-natured community willing to fight, no matter the planes or the opposition.

I'll go with that.

- oldman

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
AvA Vision
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 07:15:45 PM »
I also would like to see the icon range extended.  Maybe not 6K but more than 3k.  Like dedalos said, it really only benefits the cherry pickers.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 07:17:59 PM by scottydawg »

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
AvA Vision
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 07:49:56 PM »
Originally posted by Slash27
One Vision :noid
:D
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
AvA Vision
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 08:58:50 PM »
I flew the CT for about 18 months during and after my stint as a trainer here. I haven't flown the AvA much since there is rarely anyone in it. I recognize that my thoughts and comments might be dated....but from wht I read here little has changed....

Personally I think the setup in fine. Icon range isnt ever really an issue if you know your plane and your plan. The relevant part about the comment above is the scenario of engagement. Back in the early 2000's the CT was the elite arena...it was as much of a step up as going from RR to FR was in the old AW days. The CT was on par with the mid 90s FR arena in AW before it got diluted by alot of defections to WB's and the influx of alot of new players. This is not an elitist or snobish comment and isn't meant as a reflection on relative abilities.

When I made the move to FR in AW my very 1st set of hops I ran into -HR-, Rocketman, Big-T and a few others. Total head count want more then 30 or so...I was a lone sheep and obviously got spanked 40 or 50 times...but always "even up"...so I kept on coming. Every 3 or 4 fights someone threw me a bone (piece of advice) or a compliment on "improvement" (8 seconds vs 5 or a few loops vs dead on merge). Then low and behold I actually had a fight...I didnt win...but I didn't punch out in 15 seconds either.

The next day I did a bit better and even manages a hit or two (no W's)....

Well on the 4th or 5th day all of a sudden one of the vets switched on over and we were 2 on 2...then 3 on 3 and I was a "vet" at the bottom of the food chain. And I got more and more constructive advice...and a week or so later I got an invite from the CO of the 176th composite
AW (which was actually a pretty good squad back then in FR. And I was schooled in the way things were done....1st noob I ran into....guess what I passed it on. I never jumped a fight, I never let more then a few fights go without a "kind" word...a week or two in I switched sides and flew wing for him. And one by one the FR arena grew. Now we had 5 RR arenas and only 1 FR back then. But if a guy tried to go FR he had helping hands....

The CT had that, much more so then the MA did then or now. But "now" the MA enviornment is far and away better then the CT (at the end) and from what I see and read...still is. That is a reflection of the people who fly it regularly (and again isnt an attack but an observation). You see and read posts from Kong and storch and you cant help and sense some perceived "elitism" totally unsupported by either status or ability.

If in fact you want the AvA to achieve what the CT had you need to somehow address the underlying issue. The sad reality is that it was proven in the CT that a few bad apples can in fact ruin a small barrel....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
AvA Vision
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 09:17:20 PM »
Originally posted by humble
When I made the move to FR in AW my very 1st set of hops I ran into -HR-, Rocketman, Big-T and a few others.

I was there too (Oldma).

The picture you're looking at was taken a year or more ago.  Stop in, Humble.  We have a lot of new people, and they're helping out the new folks, just like the old days.

I add this proviso, as others have before me:  Don't judge based upon one or two nights.  Spend a week with us.

- oldman

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
AvA Vision
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 09:32:24 PM »
I check every time to see if its got an yone there.....95% headcount is 0. I know Bat and some of my squaddies try and stop in on weekends...I'll keep on looking...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
AvA Vision
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 10:08:03 PM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
I was there too (Oldma).

The picture you're looking at was taken a year or more ago.  Stop in, Humble.  We have a lot of new people, and they're helping out the new folks, just like the old days.

I add this proviso, as others have before me:  Don't judge based upon one or two nights.  Spend a week with us.

- oldman

And, if/when things get frustrating, just come back another time. Had some really fun fights tonite, and got some valuable practice even though a few were consistently pwning me. .  Many were waiting out fights and coming in after one concluded. Excellent fun!

Then gangs started descending, and unknowns didn't honor 1v1s. Rather than make an issue, I just left. I find it works much better for me than complaining about it...but I'll be back!
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline 1cajun

• Probation 1/25/2016
  • Zinc Member
AvA Vision
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 10:50:18 PM »
Can we get this back to the original thread?  :rolleyes:

I would like to see the setup fixed so that base captures won't fubar the arena.  Historic plane sets along with accurate scenarios would be great.  Options for people to fly different missions without turning it into a main arena furfest.  I don't think it would because the limited plane sets would keep most of the problem children away.

I admit that you can have some good fights but currently the arena is little more than a dueling arena with limited planesets.  I've mentioned this in another thread only to be berated by many and have a good discussion sidetracked.

I still think that this arena has unrealized potential.

332nd Flying Mongrels

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
AvA Vision
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 11:11:28 PM »
Originally posted by 1cajun
Can we get this back to the original thread?  :rolleyes:

I would like to see the setup fixed so that base captures won't fubar the arena.  Historic plane sets along with accurate scenarios would be great.  Options for people to fly different missions without turning it into a main arena furfest.  I don't think it would because the limited plane sets would keep most of the problem children away.

I still think that this arena has unrealized potential.

Being a player run arena, it is up to the players to realize their ideas on how and what they want the AvA to be.

Offline 1cajun

• Probation 1/25/2016
  • Zinc Member
AvA Vision
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 11:16:57 PM »
Sorry, I thought the post was asking for input, I withdraw my comments. :confused:
332nd Flying Mongrels