Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
[rant]
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2007, 11:56:13 AM »
Originally posted by ramzey
accepted
"I will not post anything without morning coffee"
:D :noid :t

:) done ~ little post-it-note instead of large sign, but done.
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline 68ROX

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
[rant]
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2007, 11:57:50 AM »
Originally posted by ramzey
accepted

please make large sign in a front of your PC

"I will not post anything without morning coffee"

:D :noid :t

I........

Resemble that remark   :rolleyes:

:aok

68ROX

Offline RAIDER14

• Gold Member
[rant]
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2007, 12:02:10 PM »
I haven't seen any food stamp users  in farmers branch rpm:D :lol

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
[rant]
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2007, 12:10:13 PM »
Originally posted by FrodeMk3
In a lot of areas, I've read that foodstamps are preferred to regular currency. There is a whole seperate market for them.

I wish they were more like WIC, with vouchers for certain products, rather than something like a substitute dollar bill.

The going rate around here is 60 cents on the dollar.

The party store owner pays 60 and then turns them in for 100, but hey he has to make a living too :)

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
[rant]
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2007, 12:17:13 PM »
Please work in a grocery store before you offer too many opinion statements about the proper use of food stamps.

I've been there, and done that.  RPM isn't exaggerating, and he's got a legitimate beef.  The food stamp program is a joke, and should be run more like the WIC program.  Commodities only.  Any government hand-me-down program that dispenses goods with no strings attached is prone to corruption and abuse.  

One of the worst types of abuse is the selling of food stamps for money which can be used to buy booze and drugs.  I've been approached by perfectly healthy people who tried to sell them to me.

This is no way to run a railroad.

Offline kamilyun

• Silver Member
[rant]
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2007, 12:17:39 PM »
Along the lines of Rolex's post...

Food stamps are part of the farm bill.  

The 2007 Farm Bill passed with 19 Rep, 212 Dem voting for; 177 R, 14 D voting against.

The 2002 Farm Bill Passed with 141 Rep, 137 Dem voting for; 73 R, 68 D voting against.

Same pork, different year, different % composition voting for/against.

Get rid of them all :t

Offline FBplmmr

• Silver Member
[rant]
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2007, 01:07:26 PM »
Originally posted by Rolex
You folks still don't get it, do you?

Food stamps are a funnel. They funnel taxpayer money to businesses, not people. It's a subsidy.

Who gets the money? The people with the food stamps?
No. Grocers and the food industry get the money.

Who came up with the concept of food stamps? Politicians? The government?
No. The grocery and food industry came up with the idea.

Republicans denounce it to get votes, but still take money from lobbyists to vote to fund it. Democrats endorse it to get votes and take money from lobbyists to vote to fund it.

I think I would rather have the choice of funneling my income to the retail and bar-restaurant industry.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
[rant]
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2007, 01:49:33 PM »
Speaking of WIC, most stores have a list that says what is or isnt allowed for purchase

For example -

Milk one gallon
Peanut Butter
Cheese (bar)
Cereal

SUPPOSED to be the cheapest of the items unless otherwise noted. (The PB can be Jif instead of the cheapest where I was). Here they come up with the most expensive milk (sometimes chocolate), Kraft deluxe bar cheese thats about $5, and some cereal thats not even allowed (lucky charms, count chocula, etc)

I tell them that WIC doesnt allow these, that you have to get the pre determined items thats posted on paper all over the store (and on their wic card). They all have the same reply "Every one else lets me get them". Needless to say, I dont budge.  I have to go personally exchange them for the items that they are allowed to get while they throw a fit about it. They either shut up and deal with it, or they get mad and leave. I didnt care, I wont let them abuse WIC while I am on duty.

And foodstamps.........Soda x 6, ice cream x 4, tater chips x 4, candy, candy, Tbones, ribs, most freakin expensive items there are to buy. You are supposed to make that money last the entire month, not blow it all at once on the most expensive food (junk food) there is and then cry and whine because you ran out of food and foodstamps halfway through the month.

There are many people that abuse the system like above, but there are some that really need it. I even was on it off and on a few years ago because we didnt make enough money and needed a little help. We got about half what other people get and we made that last the whole month. Others with the same amount of people and double the money blow it the first 2 weeks. Aldi's, Save a lot, cheap food stoes, etc, you can make it last.

And cash link, Now thats a crock. What do they do with it? They get the cash off of it, and then buy cigarettes. Thats supposed to help with the bills, clothes, children's items. But NO, those deadbeat scumbags buy cigarettes with it. I cant do a thing about it.

Pisses me off

But needless to say I got out the the retail. It was either work there full time and not go to college, or quit there and get me a degree in something. I was a manager so it was either one or the other. I quit there and went back to college.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 01:55:34 PM by Meatwad »
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
[rant]
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2007, 10:05:45 PM »
Meatwad, sounds like what I deal with daily, with one exception. In Texas WIC has gone from paper cards to smart cards. Each card has a chip embedded that keeps track of what is purchased and the items allowed. There is no keying in a generic price instead of scanning the item. No scan, no pay. Unapproved item, no pay. If it detects a fraudulent transaction it shuts off the card until they go back to the WIC office. This is exactly what food stamps needs to have, not a generic debit card that will accept whatever you key in.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
[rant]
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2007, 10:32:11 PM »
Thats pretty neat!

How effective is it?
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
[rant]
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2007, 10:32:35 PM »
Whatever ya do in Texas, don't sell em beer

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55965

This 27-year-old drunken driver was sentenced in August 2007 to 3 1/2 to 10 years in prison for striking another man with his SUV in April and nearly dragging him to death before leaving him beside the road. The victim, who was too physically disfigured to attend the trial, became lodged in the front left wheelwell of the SUV, and had his skin shredded as Xuya-Sian drove three-quarters of a mile before realizing he was there. Xuya-Sian, said the prosecutor, "stopped the car, got out and undoubtedly dislodged him from the car," then kept driving, crashing into a tree about two miles away.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
[rant]
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2007, 10:39:33 PM »
Originally posted by Meatwad
Thats pretty neat!

How effective is it?
Very effective. It has to be the exact item that WIC has loaded onto the card or no sale. I've already sent several back to the WIC office with dead cards. They tried to scam premium items at a different store and it got cut off untill they go in to explain why they weren't buying what they were suppossed to. :lol
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
[rant]
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2007, 10:53:11 PM »
Thats what we need here! I very much doubt IL will get that type of technology, it makes too much sense.

Our governor is worthless, he dont want to upset the ones that voted him in
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 10:56:05 PM by Meatwad »

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
[rant]
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2007, 02:07:55 AM »
Speakin of service connected disability ..
..you earned 'em, they're yours to keep ..forever.

I got out in 1986.
My brother told me to go talk to the VFW a couple years ago ..because if you've been in the Service, you really need to have a chat with these guys.

They sent me to the VA hospital, where I got the full physical exam.
Something that had happened under an F-4 long ago that I had long forgotten about came to light, and they gave me 20 percent disability for it.

It has *nothing* to do with how good you are, it has everything to do with you earning your scars while you were government property.

Being Vietnam era, frankly I resent the media.
WHERE THE **** WERE THEY WHEN MY FRIENDS AND I CAME HOME.
The hair stands up on the back of my neck when I overhear someone say 'I'm a Vet .. I served in Iraq'
..I get this desire to reply 'great, here's a frik-kin cookie, get over it kid.'
And that's the polite version.

My friends and I were told not to wear our uniforms downtown.
Here.
In Phoenix frik-kin Arizona.
When we came back from southeast asia.

So ya . . when I was told by the VA that I was awarded my disability,
I told the guy 'awarded hell.. I earned every stinkin dime of it.'

=Frank ..a lil 'wired' on that whole 'vet' and 'disability' thing.
'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE