Author Topic: English for beginners...  (Read 5823 times)

Offline lengro

• Silver Member
English for beginners...
« on: September 13, 2007, 10:54:48 AM »
Yesterday, ghosth kindly pointed out too me, that it is offensive to refer to a 'japanese plane' - when I only type the first 3 letters of 'japanese'.

It came as a big surprise for me - and made me wonder if us non-native english speakers often sounds ignorant or offensive on text-radio or vox without knowing it?

I guess its also the reason that I use too many smiley's when I write - my way of saying "hey, if I offended you it was not my intend"

My point is - I appreciate people tells me if I sound offensive - (because I am a nice guy - really :)) - instead of silence.

Thank you, ghosth!

Now, carry on
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!" Tuco - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
English for beginners...
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 11:06:39 AM »
I was in the TA and the first thing in the text was "lengro: TY for the enlish leesons " (or something like that). It got me wondering "School on AH2?" So that's what it was all about huh. I respect people who are always willing to help out fellow members rather than just 'flame' them. Ghosth!

Offline 1redrum

• Nickel Member
English for beginners...
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 11:08:58 AM »
See Rule #5
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 11:13:10 AM by Skuzzy »
Major EaglePoo

"No person can be a great leader unless he takes genuine joy in the successes of those under him.W. A. Nance

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
English for beginners...
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 11:14:38 AM »
Calm down redrum.  This has nothing to do with being "PC".  I detest that term as well.  It has everything to do with being respectful and mindful of being part of an international community.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
English for beginners...
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 11:38:26 AM »
It's not the place to discuss it here and possibly foul up this thread, but if someone who is Japanese could kindly PM me and explain just why that is offensive, and what the preferred shorthand is, I'd appreciate it, as that's always blown my mind as well.

Or if a non-Japanese person knows the clear cut answer, that'd work too.

Anyway, if you didn't know about it, don't worry about it if you don't do it again :)
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
English for beginners...
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 11:44:04 AM »
If you simply put a period after the 3 letter word in queston, it makes it an abbreviation.

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
English for beginners...
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 11:46:43 AM »
Does that make the term 'Brit' offensive as well?
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
English for beginners...
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 11:56:08 AM »
Originally posted by toonces3
No, but Limey can be offensive to some.

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
English for beginners...
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 12:09:59 PM »
Originally posted by Vudak
It's not the place to discuss it here and possibly foul up this thread, but if someone who is Japanese could kindly PM me and explain just why that is offensive, and what the preferred shorthand is, I'd appreciate it, as that's always blown my mind as well.
It's all in context and not how the term was (technically) coined.

Before, during and after the WWII, Japanese were considered lesser race, subhumans, etc and abbreviated word was widely used in that context including in all the gov war propaganda.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
English for beginners...
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 12:16:26 PM »
Originally posted by 2bighorn
It's all in context and not how the term was (technically) coined.

Before, during and after the WWII, Japanese were considered lesser race, subhumans, etc and abbreviated word was widely used in that context including in all the gov war propaganda.

So it's one of those things that probably wouldn't be a problem being used in real life with the proper voice inflection making it clear that you're not using it in a derogatory way?  Which of course text can't get across?

Am I following correctly?
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
English for beginners...
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 12:19:50 PM »
It's kind of like cuss words.  It's not the "word" that's bad, it's how the listener feels about the word.

I have no issue with using that term to decribe someone from Japan, but since THEY might, I refrain from it's use.
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
English for beginners...
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 12:24:08 PM »
I do not find it offensive.  I use it because it's easier than to type out the whole word.  "Jap" and "Japanese" are the same to me.  

I'm not japanese.  Does that mean I can't be offended too when someone abbreviates a word?
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
English for beginners...
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 12:25:03 PM »
:O  Skuzzy's back! YAY! :lol

Very well put Scca :aok

Offline Solar10

• Silver Member
English for beginners...
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 12:28:06 PM »
Originally posted by toonces3

The term 'Brit' can be offensive depending who is using it and in one context.

Just look at the Irish troubles.
~Hells Angels~
Solar10

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
English for beginners...
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 12:39:58 PM »
Originally posted by Kermit de frog
I do not find it offensive.  I use it because it's easier than to type out the whole word.  "Jap" and "Japanese" are the same to me.  

I'm not japanese.  Does that mean I can't be offended too when someone abbreviates a word?

Regardless if you're Japanese or not, how you use the term or what "inflection" you use when saying it, it's offensive to them.  Why is that so hard to understand?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song