Author Topic: English for beginners...  (Read 5814 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
English for beginners...
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2007, 08:22:57 PM »
Originally posted by Stratocaster
if its offensive... dont use it. Period

Where do you draw the line on PCness?

Offline Stratocaster

• Nickel Member
English for beginners...
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2007, 08:33:54 PM »
When a word or phrase offends a single person. I stop using it in the general area of that person. If it is dubbed offensive by a culture... well I apply the same  rule. I am sure the same could be argued that certain terms that would appear to be PC at one point stand for something entirely different many years later. The word "Jap" was used in anger towards Japan during the war. It may sound like just a shortening of "Japan." Used today, it is still filled with malice. Just like words like "Negro" and so on.
Strat

∼<<∼Loose Deuce∼>>∼

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
English for beginners...
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2007, 08:41:58 PM »
Personally I will use whatever word I wish to use to describe anyone I wish.  I could care less who gets offended. (By the same token, I am willing to take whatever repercussions come my way for doing so.)
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
English for beginners...
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2007, 08:44:40 PM »
Originally posted by Vulcan
Before, during, and after WWII the Japanese have been quite racist themselves. They considered the other asian nations to be lesser racers, subhumans, etc, and the same extended to the european race.  And much of this still exists today.

Internment camps were far better treatment than that the japs gave those aussies and brits got when singapore fell.

Spot on - Also Nanking and the Phillipines.  The Japs refuse to this day to admit to guilt for their atrocities, I have no respect for them.
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
English for beginners...
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2007, 10:14:40 PM »
Originally posted by Mr No Name
Spot on - Also Nanking and the Phillipines.  The Japs refuse to this day to admit to guilt for their atrocities, I have no respect for them.

Some yes, some no.  Like all people they vary a lot in their opinions.

You may recall a Japanese guy who flew AH by the handle of Flyingdutchman.  Well, he explicitly said Japan was guilty of those things and needed to do more to redress and address its actions.

You can be an ******* if you like and claim it is just anti-Political Correctness, but you are wrong, you're just an ******* making excuses for being an *******.

I have seen an awful lot of behavior that would never had passed muster in days way, way before any Political Correctness crap came about simply on a basis of being polite and civilized, justified as a rebelion against Political Correctness.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Hoffman

• Copper Member
English for beginners...
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2007, 10:24:48 PM »
Wait wait wait... so referring to an A6/Ki/Niki in AHII as a Jap Plane might be offensive to Japanese people, when the object of reference is not only an inanimate object, but a pixelated inanimate object?

Ye gods, if the Japanese are so insulted by that, why don't they try being a Texan for a couple days?  Do you know how many times I've had to listen to that lame horrible joke from Full Metal Jacket?  
Or asked where I park my horse on the way to work?
Or called a Yankee, by some ignorant European?

At least nobody is telling the Japanese that only steers and queers come from where they live.

Sorry to bust the PC love bubble, but grow some balls.  If they had enough of 'em to take a shot at us 60 years ago then there's got to be something left to defend against a shortened version of their name.

Ooh ahh, he called me a Jap, its so insulting not being referred to by all three syllables of my race/country of origin.

In all seriousness it just doesn't make sense to me how 'Jap' can be insulting.  I know Japanese Americans.  At least, the two I know, aren't insulted when I rarely call them Japs.  I just called up my buddy Lee, and he couldn't understand why they'd be insulted by it.  So seriously... what gives?  

If it were partnered with an insult, ie:  "That stupid little Jap son of a ...", well then I could understand taking offense.  And the person referring to someone in that manner probably deserves to be staked over an anthill...

But... "Jap plane 6 O'Clock high, break break!"
How is there any insult there?  I'm at a loss over here.  Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way.  Or maybe I'm applying the wrong logic.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
English for beginners...
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2007, 10:24:53 PM »
not worth it.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 10:31:24 PM by hubsonfire »
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Hoffman

• Copper Member
English for beginners...
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2007, 10:30:36 PM »
Originally posted by 2bighorn
After the Dust Bowl disaster in '30s, some half a million of homeless Americans from Great Plains came to California. Mainly farmers who lost everything, most of them settled in Central Valley and were referred to as "Okies". As such (here at least), Okie is considered slur word because many still remember or were told by parents about those events and they won't take that word lightly.

Huh... and here I just thought Okie was simply a way of referring to Football fans from Oklahoma University... weird...'cause I remember during a few UT-OU games they called 'em Okies because Oklahoma University Fans is quite annoying to say.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
English for beginners...
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2007, 10:36:26 PM »
I find getting shot at very offensive. I'm offended personally any time I see a Spit XVI 200 off my six.

WTF do people think they have a right to not be offended?

Of course, it's not "polite" to offend people, but hey...
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
English for beginners...
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2007, 11:17:05 PM »
I can't possibly wade through all the nonsense posts all over again.

1. The dictionary is your guide to word usage. Look up the word and read the definition. It has nothing to do with being PC.

2. The abbreviation JP is what JP's use.

3. I've never heard a derogatory word spoken by any Japanese player on the channel they use in all the time I've played the game.

4. Many of you have posted on the exact same topic before, claiming ignorance that it's a racial slur. After being informed it was then, you now claim again that you didn't know. You are being dishonest. You are only looking for an opportunity to be provocative and argue.

5. Mr No Name: You are dishonest or ignorant. Which is it?

Here is the looooong list of war apologies. So many that they can hardly be counted. List>

Enough of this nonsense.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
English for beginners...
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2007, 11:20:05 PM »
Edit - you know what, maybe it's just best to let this all die down.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 11:30:55 PM by Vudak »
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
English for beginners...
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2007, 11:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak
You may recall a Japanese guy who flew AH by the handle of Flyingdutchman.  Well, he explicitly said Japan was guilty of those things and needed to do more to redress and address its actions.

FD flies still, I fly with him in FSO - he screams a lot on vox :) . I'll ask if he thinks the term jap is offensive, and if he does I'll stop using it.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
English for beginners...
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2007, 11:31:06 PM »
I'll save you the trouble. He does. He even posted about it years ago, asking the community to refrain from doing it. It fell on deaf ears and turned into another thread full of people still fighting the war. It may have even been locked after the community got finished with him.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
English for beginners...
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2007, 11:32:46 PM »
Originally posted by Rolex
1. The dictionary is your guide to word usage. Look up the word and read the definition.
Pretty simple, yet the thread rolls on :huh

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
English for beginners...
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2007, 11:47:40 PM »
Originally posted by Rolex

5. Mr No Name: You are dishonest or ignorant. Which is it?

I believe in this case, you are being ignorant in a bold way.  All of those apologies were for Japans war of aggression in general and not the horrific specific crimes, nor even a mention much less an admission of the rapes, torture, slavery on a GRAND scale.  Not even one mention of using Chinese women as "Comfort Women" until the 2000's (After nearly all of them were dead) Their emperor should have never lived to be 88 years old after so many horrible crimes were inflicted in his name and at his behest.

Why isn't it taught in their schools like the holocaust is in Germany?  Japan has been a great ally to the US since the war but has never truly owned up to its' crimes.  Politicians let them slide for some unknown reason.
Vote R.E. Lee '24