Author Topic: Hillary care makes a comeback.........  (Read 2983 times)

Offline FBBone

• Nickel Member
Hillary care makes a comeback.........
« on: September 17, 2007, 09:55:02 AM »
Well, she's at it again........................ .LINK
I especially like the "Individual Mandate":rolleyes:

Link not working, I'll try again........................ ............................. ....

By BETH FOUHY, Associated Press Writer 29 minutes ago

DES MOINES, Iowa - Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton is unveiling a sweeping health care proposal Monday that would require everyone to carry health insurance and offer federal subsidies to help reduce the cost of coverage.

Fulfilling a pledge to bring health care to all, Clinton's "American Health Choices Plan" has a price tag of about $110 billion per year. It represents her first major effort to achieve universal health coverage since 1994, when the plan she authored during her husband's first term collapsed.

"It is long past time that Americans and the richest of all countries realize that health care is a right and not a privilege," Clinton said at a labor forum in Chicago. "And that goes especially for people who work hard every single day."

The former first lady says she has learned from the 1990s experience, which almost derailed Bill Clinton's presidency and helped put Republicans in control of Congress for years to come. Aides say she has jettisoned the complexity and uncertainty of the last effort in favor of a plan that stresses simplicity, cost control and consumer choice.

The centerpiece of Clinton's plan is the so-called "individual mandate," requiring everyone to have health insurance — just as most states require drivers to purchase auto insurance. Rival John Edwards has also offered a plan that includes an individual mandate, while the proposal outlined by Barack Obama does not.

Clinton, the Democratic front-runner, has already laid out proposals to improve health care quality and reduce costs. She was to release her universal health care plan in Iowa, the first voting state.

With 47 million Americans currently uninsured, the Democratic presidential contenders have been united in advocating universal coverage. They have parted ways on certain specifics, including the individual mandate, which has detractors from both ends of the political spectrum.

Republican skeptics say it would be too invasive and would restrict personal freedom and choice. Liberal Democrats have expressed concern that such a mandate would be too financially burdensome for lower-income individuals and families — a concern shared by Obama, who has said individuals cannot be forced to purchase insurance until the cost of coverage is substantially reduced.

Aides said Clinton believes that an individual mandate is the only way to achieve health care for all. A key component of her plan would be a federal tax subsidy to help individuals pay for coverage.

Clinton's plan builds on the existing employer-based system of coverage. People who receive insurance through the workplace could continue to do so; businesses, in turn, would be required to offer insurance to employees, or contribute to a government-run pool that would help pay for those not covered. Clinton would also offer a tax subsidy to small businesses to help them afford the cost of providing coverage to their workers.

For individuals and families who are not covered by employers or whose employer-based coverage is inadequate, Clinton would offer expanded versions of two existing government programs: Medicare, and the health insurance plan currently offered to federal employees. Consumers could choose between either government-run program, but aides stress that no new federal bureaucracy would be created under the Clinton plan.

Aides said Clinton will propose several specific measures to pay for her plan, including an end to some of the Bush-era tax cuts for people making more than $250,000 per year. Edwards has vowed to completely repeal the tax cuts for high earners to pay for the cost of his plan, estimated at $90 billion-$120 billion per year, while Obama would pay for his plan in part by letting the tax cuts expire in 2010.

In response, Obama said Clinton's plan is similar to one he proposed in the spring, "though my universal health care plan would go further in reducing the punishing cost of health care than any other proposal that's been offered in this campaign."

He took another swipe at the Clinton administration's closed-door sessions on health care in the 1990s, saying "the real key to passing any health care reform is the ability to bring people together in an open, transparent process that builds a broad consensus for change." Clinton is also expected to stress several cost-saving measures to help pay for universal coverage. She's already recommended several such proposals, such as computerized medical record-keeping and a reduction in federal overpayments to hospitals and health maintenance organizations. She would also promote wellness and disease prevention as a way to reduce costs.

Clinton is sure to court danger from the health insurance industry by proposing several industry reforms. Among other things, she would require insurance companies to provide coverage to all consumers regardless of pre-existing conditions.

The insurance industry helped kill Clinton's earlier attempt at health care reform through a multibillion-dollar media and lobbying campaign that included television ads featuring a middle-class couple named Harry and Louise fretting over having to get their insurance through a new "billion-dollar bureaucracy."

Republicans have already readied attacks on the Clinton plan. The Republican National Committee sent an e-mail to reporters Monday dubbing it "Hillarycare" and questioning why she waited months to release a plan.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 10:10:25 AM by FBBone »

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 10:24:13 AM »
Good, the health care system in this country needs reform.

At least she's talking about it.

Offline MrBill

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 10:29:15 AM »
Individual mandate? Oh Yeah, I get it, another jabberwacky term to hide the fact that another individual choice is to be taken away from people ... how long before the fine and imprisonment for "failure to comply" comes riding over the horizon?

Why not be truthful ... just impose a health tax on young and healthy folks to offset the cost to help those who are not so healthy ... at least it would be more honest.
We do not stop playing because we grow old
We grow old because we stop playing

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 10:36:29 AM »
It's a shame that an adult discussion about health care isn't possible in the O'Club without the political and ethnocentric terrorists bombing the discussion.

There are a variety of people from different countries who could explain their system, the cost, their experience in getting care and the good and bad points, in their first-hand view.

Some people may learn something. I'm curious about health care in Scandinavian countries, for example, to compare to my health care system. Who gets better value, and who gets less.

It truly is a shame. Ah well.

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 10:49:45 AM »
Health care in the UK (whilst in a bit of a shamble imo) is free (ish) at the point of provider. Whilst we get a few health tourists etc, its paid for out of taxes (and it doesnt compare to other countries as they pay more tax for that than us), by and large, its pretty good. Had to have an op for a pair of abcesses on my tox...buttox...lol.......done in less than a days wait, in, out , up and about in 1 hour..........

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline FBBone

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 10:59:24 AM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
Good, the health care system in this country needs reform.

At least she's talking about it.

Well, the problem (at least one of the problems) is that people want the same government who can't run a war, taxes, fight drugs, maintain the countries infrastructure,  reduce crime, etc., to now run health care!  

Come on MT, when you want something done right, the last entity you should turn to is the government.

Offline Trell

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 11:10:52 AM »
compared to the double digit increases for health care that we get handed to us every year?

I am paying close to 10X more for my health care then I was 7 years ago.

Health care is broken in this country,   If the business can't handle getting it under control, then I am all for letting the government mess it up.

It is better then the Wait and see what happens crowd.
Maybe If the insurance companies think they are actually going to lose there business they will quit trying to get double digit profit increases every year as well.

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 11:15:05 AM »
And, (imo), that is where the problem lies. What the answer is, I dont know.....(I dont know enough about the American Health Care System to offer an opinion) - but, on the surface, it appears that being profit driven, a lot of things need change.

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 11:26:26 AM »
does her plan include dental?

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 11:42:13 AM »
Yes her plan does, and it's all being covered at tax payer expense as well. She has the congressional package, part of the perks of the job and no one had to make a law requiring her to get it. I wonder what the penalty is if you opt out. Will they put you in jail for violating the law?
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 12:41:45 PM »
While the skyrocketing costs are perhaps the biggest problem of the health care system, the overall picture is much more complex.  Certainly, the industry could use more oversight and regulation, for too many involved in the system are living like kings.  I don't begrudge anyone a fair profit, but a three day stay in the hospital would almost break me financially.

Yet, only a simpleton would believe that the government will be able to fund Hillary's plan for a mere 110 billion dollars a year.  This is universal health care, with a much larger percentage of the populace covered than in the past.   The taxpayers will foot the bill.  Not just the rich as pointed out in the class-jealousy statement in the article.

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 12:50:54 PM »
*Puts on his tinfoil helmet*

The country is ran by the government, the gov is ran by corperations and companys.

What i dont get is why the $%#^ these rag heads dont go around and start blowing up DOW and DUPWNT and all these other multi billion dollor corperations that squeez the life out of our nations.

To hell with health care, same people who own the HC companys are the same people who knock 200 bucks off a old barrle of poison, rename it,and put the suckers unto prop planes to dust our food/crops with.

All the while everyone in the neighborhood starts getting sick, cancer .ect
And we gotta use the GOVERNMENT to sue these scum suckers into PAYING, or even aknoladgeing what they did in the first place!

Screw bush, screw iraq screw the dem's and republicans, screw them all.
They dont matter, the biggest button pushers in this world, dont even have names.

You sheep just keep talkin', focusing and pushing on names and people/places that dont mean a damn thing.
Puppet masters like it that way.

Im third party , kill em' all, Libertatem Defendimus.
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 12:51:07 PM »
Originally posted by Rolex
There are a variety of people from different countries who could explain their system, the cost, their experience in getting care and the good and bad points, in their first-hand view.

just ask them to smile and look at their teeth, that would be the first clue...

then find stats showing out of those who need complicated treatments that can afford to travel to have them done, have them done in their own "free" medical system or travel abroad and pay for better care...
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2007, 12:51:08 PM »
Give me a break.  The prescription drug plan fiasco alone is going to cost $100 billion a year over the next 10 years.  Are you telling me that some huge universal health care plan is going to only cost $110 billion a year?

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 01:57:08 PM »
You and mcblivet are twins aren't you? :huh :rolleyes:

Originally posted by BaDkaRmA158Th
*Puts on his tinfoil helmet*

The country is ran by the government, the gov is ran by corperations and companys.

What i dont get is why the $%#^ these rag heads dont go around and start blowing up DOW and DUPWNT and all these other multi billion dollor corperations that squeez the life out of our nations.

To hell with health care, same people who own the HC companys are the same people who knock 200 bucks off a old barrle of poison, rename it,and put the suckers unto prop planes to dust our food/crops with.

All the while everyone in the neighborhood starts getting sick, cancer .ect
And we gotta use the GOVERNMENT to sue these scum suckers into PAYING, or even aknoladgeing what they did in the first place!

Screw bush, screw iraq screw the dem's and republicans, screw them all.
They dont matter, the biggest button pushers in this world, dont even have names.

You sheep just keep talkin', focusing and pushing on names and people/places that dont mean a damn thing.
Puppet masters like it that way.

Im third party , kill em' all, Libertatem Defendimus.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown