Author Topic: What should I have built?  (Read 669 times)

Offline Nugent

• Zinc Member
What should I have built?
« on: June 17, 2001, 10:59:00 PM »
<S> ALL

I am getting a new PC next month, and would like a few suggestions before I lay the dough down for it.

What kind of PC should I have built? I saved up some pesos to have a top notch system built. The 1.4Ghz AMD looks ok, and a GEforce3 is looking good, too. What are your suggestions? I have a great monitor already, so that should cut prices a bit  :)

Any info. and suggestions will be helpful

Thanks <S>

Nugent

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
What should I have built?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2001, 12:20:00 AM »
AMD 761 DDR chipset based mobo, athlon 1.4, 256 or 512 meg PC2100 DDR SDRAM.  ABIT will soon release a brand new mobo supporting DDR memory that also includes the highpoint RAID controller.  If you have an extra $150, buy a second identical hard drive and set up a RAID 0 array.  I did this using 2 30gig IBM deskstar 7200 rpm drives ($135 each 3 months ago) and it's fast as sh*t (on ABIT's SA6R mobo).  

If you can wait a week or two, wait for that new mobo and see if it stacks up in the hardware reviews.  If it does, that would likely be my choice for a new gaming system.  Oh yea, a GF3 would be nice if you have a lot of money, but if you want to save a few hundred bucks and get 90% of the speed get a high end GF2 or even a Voodoo5-5500 from the bargain bin.  Otherwise, visit www.anandtech.com  and take a look at the motherboard roundup they posted up a few days ago.  They have a few recommendations of course.

Hope this helps.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.