Author Topic: setting up shots...  (Read 327 times)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
setting up shots...
« on: October 13, 2007, 11:19:30 AM »
Earlier in the week a squadie rode along on a couple of my A-20 hops. Not looking to "learn" the A-20 but more general SA/ACM etc stuff. He made a comment that stuck with me over the last few days on shot setup selection.

Basically to the effect that I was "seeing" shots he'd never set up or take and shooting on a completely different line. Now obviously both variables are plane/pilot/situation related. Usually if I post something here its what I see as a (BFM=ACM=advantage=kill)....

Basically stringing BFM in a tactically correct (I hope) sequence to create ACM (which is tactically correct BFM) to creat an advantage and set up a winning position.

I guess more often then I realize I switch from that formula to the "see it, feel it, take it" reality of air combat. Judging when to go for it is a big part of success in the non dueling enviornment...especially in disimiliar plane fights were advantage lost might never be regained.

Anyway here is a typical A-20 attack. The pony driver actually did as good job equalizing E state as possible and I'm suddenly in a spot where he can seize the advantage...so instead of converting to the hi yoyo again I take advantage of his built up E and cut to the shot...

Going in for guns

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
setting up shots...
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 07:20:32 PM »
very good topic.

I totaly agree with your notions, one of the biggest mistakes i have always encountered in the general MA game is lack of decent throttle work and therein is your point. if only the shooter would slow down and truly commit to the shot instead of always thinking ' E=life=gotta stay fast', they would surely not be missing so many chances to kill me that i dont deserve to survive.

cut that power, keep cool and steady, and just blast them out of the sky. even with an enemy behind you as a threat you are more likely to survive if you first destroy the one infront of you with one attempt.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]