Author Topic: General Climate Discussion  (Read 82700 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Re: General Climate Discussion
« Reply #1575 on: June 29, 2008, 10:32:14 AM »
Do you think we'll see crocodiles roaming the Arctic and surface temperatures of the western tropical Atlantic Ocean at 37 degrees Celsius (98 degrees Fahrenheit) as Earth did during the Cretaceous period and as is reported in a study published in the journal Science?

Remind me, how much man-made global warming was there during the Cretaceous period? Isn't that the one where Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble powered their cars with their feet?

Ahh... now I remember. The Cretaceous Period was 144-65 million years ago, long before Fred and Barney; they couldn't have started warming the earth with their feet until the Pleistocene Epoch 1.8 million-10,000 years ago. Which is kind of funny; Fred and Barney made their debut during an Ice Age!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1576 on: June 29, 2008, 10:55:35 AM »
Probably, for with the finest growing areas moving north and south, they get smaller. And the sea will yeald less due to i.e. less possible saturation. So, in short, what's coming from under the ice, and slowly, is barren rock, while we are beginning to "loose" very good areas.
Swings in the whole eco-system of plants and animals are also going to give a downswing at first.
Try solving the riddle of declinine of U.S. Bees, and look at the effect.
(my guess is that it's actually not GW, but the effects are more than just honey....)
For a country like mine BTW, a little warming is just fine :D

That's a pretty dire prognostication based on a little early planting for a few, what 3-4 years?
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1577 on: June 29, 2008, 01:44:21 PM »
The point here was that the area going down is bigger than the area coming in. The area balance is negative.
And the sea is negative as well.
The areas coming in also need time to adapt, flora, fauna, insects etc, so things normally start with pest & plague, then get better when it settles. For farming it starts as a headache, so after some changes it may get better.
What I experience up where I live is that our main crops are the same, if not lower, and we have new pests settling in.
But some less used crops come in stronger. Basically, we must gently move on to crops that suit a warmer climate than our...was.
We are now growing things that were hardly possible to grow in the late 70's/early 80's and before. And as we learn, the yeald goes higher.
The biggest "ring" of land that gets warmer is unfortunately all in Siberia, very much less favourable than say....the mid European fields.....
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1578 on: June 29, 2008, 05:01:35 PM »
Ahh... now I remember. The Cretaceous Period was 144-65 million years ago, long before Fred and Barney; they couldn't have started warming the earth with their feet until the Pleistocene Epoch 1.8 million-10,000 years ago.

With absolutely no thought for Bam Bam and Pebbles.
The horror!!!!
If only they had had an Al Gorestone to lead the way.  :devil
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1579 on: June 30, 2008, 06:30:39 PM »
I wonder how long, my dear Jacka1, you would last, in Jurassic climate :D
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1580 on: June 30, 2008, 06:45:10 PM »
I wonder how long, my dear Jacka1, you would last, in Jurassic climate :D

Probably about a year longer than you....my dear Angus.  :devil
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1581 on: July 01, 2008, 08:44:31 AM »
so what bad things have happened so far?   I have enjoyed the mild summers and winters of this current climate pattern as have all of us.

It never ceases to amaze me how some can dwell on doom and gloom even when things are going well for them.

lazs

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1582 on: July 01, 2008, 08:55:35 AM »
Probably about a year longer than you....my dear Angus.  :devil

I'd not put all my money on that  :devil :devil

And Lazs, IMHO in some areas of the globe, nothing bad happened, while in others it is happening.
Got to look ahead as well.
In my case (much more than 4 seasons) it's comfy, much warmer etc. Crops are same, if anything, less.
But the weather energy (as expected) is much more. So, bloody stormy.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1583 on: July 01, 2008, 11:31:21 AM »
I'd not put all my money on that  :devil :devil

That would be a wise decision for ya Angus.  :rofl

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #1584 on: July 01, 2008, 12:16:50 PM »
 106 pages! This must be nearly the longest thread ever! Well here's my thoughts on global warming;

1. If the global warming theory is true and imminent then its probably too late to do much.
 2. If global warming is just a tree hugging theory and not imminent then we may be able to prevent it.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1585 on: July 01, 2008, 02:02:31 PM »
GW is more of a measurement than a theroy by now....
And Jackie...if we are creeping into a jurassickly warm period, your area is going to be toast while myine finally becomes....comfy....no need to fly for Spain for a tan  :devil

As a sidenote, somebody asked me the other day if I was doing the solarium.
I said no.
"How did you get that tan then?"

I was outside a bit :D

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #1586 on: July 01, 2008, 02:14:40 PM »
 Friday (June 27) there was another climate report out. North pole melting even more.

Has anyone heard about that big ice chunk in Antarctica? Its supposed to be about size of California and looked like it was going to break free of Antarctica.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1587 on: July 01, 2008, 02:30:34 PM »
And Jackie...if we are creeping into a jurassickly warm period, your area is going to be toast while myine finally becomes....comfy....no need to fly for Spain for a tan .

IF a big enough meteor hits the earth we are all toast.
IF we lose gravity we are in for a hell of a ride.
IF the super volcano in Yellowstone erupts, Pledge won`t do the trick on the dust.
IF one of the thousands of doomsday theories comes to pass it`s over.
IF a rabbit had wings his butt wouldn`t hit the ground so much.

My area has always been pretty comfy if you like the this area of Texas. The weather changes regularly on small scales. It follows trends that I have seen over and over. It still is. Nothing to report here. Just Texas weather.
No need to fly to Spain or anywhere else for a tan here. Go outside...tan.
About the only thing to make any significant change here is the occasional scammer on the tube telling us WE ARE D O O M E D due to climate change! That and the naive that buy into it.
The scam and scammers are nothing new. Just the context.
I`ve seen dozens and dozens of doomsday scams in my lifetime. It`s certainly nothing new . We`re still kicking in Texas.

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #1588 on: July 01, 2008, 02:41:36 PM »
 OK lets get this thread to 110 pages!
 I think we may already be in the GW countdown but no one knows how to count it down. Or maybe we are in a climatic warming trend. How long will it last? Will it be similar to the one that spawned the dinosaurs?

Can't say if I totally believe either side. GW proponents show me a timetable. I have a remote control, I have the attention span of a gerbil. Warming trend theorists. Hope your right! If your wrong we are all going to slow roast.

One thing for sure. If GW is happening its not like we can depend on the government to tell us the truth! We can depend on them to manipulate us, tell us half truths and try to cover up their failures with outright lies.

Offline pallero

• Copper Member
« Reply #1589 on: July 02, 2008, 11:41:40 AM »